Best Cheap Edrum Set for Metal

scoreking81

Hi, im looking to buy an electronic drum set to use for practicing metal drumming. I live in an apartment so edrums are my only option. I have a budget of 500-600 dollars total. I already have a throne and an amplifier so i just need pads/rack/module. Im looking for a kit that has - snare, 3 toms, 2 crashes, a dual zone ride, hi hats, and a 3rd cymbal (china or splash) and a bass drum pad. Any ideas on what kit i should buy? or should i buy two kts and combine them? Any advice is greatly appreciated

There isn't a commercial kit that will fulfill your requirements.
You might get lucky and be able to pick up a TD3/DTX off eBay or somewhere similar, but finding a 5 piece kit that has 3 crashes, 2 zone ride, hi-hats for under $600 is going to be very difficult.

Your best bet would probably be to try to assemble an e-kit yourself using various components. You could probably build the kit you need (plus a few cymbals) for your budget. Depends on how much time you want to spend on it/how confident you would be in taking on a project like this.

but finding a 5 piece kit that has 3 crashes, 2 zone ride, hi-hats for under $600 is going to be very difficult.

Your best bet would probably be to try to assemble an e-kit yourself using various components.

This one.

$600 isn't going to go far in the world of ready made e-kits and forget about 3 crashes and zoned rides et al at that price.

Save your pennies or as Toddy says, make your own by picking off used bits and pieces from ebay etc.

Why does everyone think Metal has a special requirement?
Look for Alesis DM10's $999 is about as good new as you will get

Why does everyone think Metal has a special requirement?

Not that metal has special requirements musically, but structurally it does. I wouldn't play metal-style drumming with as much gusto on anything not built to take it - which in my experience is most everything under $1000.

There isnt any difference between a $1600 kit and a $1000 kit other than the modules. Racks, pads are same..albeit smaller diameter. I play hard and I'm not a metal drummer. You can't play big sticks or shouldn't no matter what ekit you buy.

You can't play big sticks or shouldn't no matter what ekit you buy.

To be fair I use fairly heavy vater 5b sticks on my e-kit and the triggering is fine. I did replace the heads with higher quality mesh though. As long as you aren't hitting near/on the trigger itself.

Pollyanna that's true, most budget e-kits are terrible. that said he could build something that would be along the lines of a TD9 himself. ofcourse he'll still need a module of some sort, and the modules are the most expensive part really, but a TD3 module would be sufficient.

There isnt any difference between a $1600 kit and a $1000 kit other than the modules. Racks, pads are same..albeit smaller diameter.

No argument there. However, there is a world of difference BELOW $1000... which is what the OP is looking at. Unless he's buying something that originally retailed at $1800, used for $900, I think the experience would be a little frustrating for him.

I'm with them price wise. I built mine for about $1300. My only beef with the e-kits is that the bass drum heads (even the mesh ones) don't give "real" bass drum kickback. The rubber are pretty dead and have little to no bounce, and the mesh give too much.

I'm with them price wise. I built mine for about $1300. My only beef with the e-kits is that the bass drum heads (even the mesh ones) don't give "real" bass drum kickback. The rubber are pretty dead and have little to no bounce, and the mesh give too much.

I bought some mesh heads from a company in germany, which are quite nice. The kick head isn't too bouncy either, I have it tuned down so that it's pretty similar to a "real" kick head actually.

as previously remarked, there isnt such
i own an e kit, and really, if you are seeking towards having an aggressive and rough playing, i lowly advice it
back then, when i started palying drums, i played roughly and aggressively; afterwards i started playing on an e kit, an my technique has improved SO much. I, now, play softly and gently
the only cons with it is that my pedaling speed has decreased, and now, im used to play heels down
but anyways, you should really consider a roland drum ;)

Back