Murray Drums (New Custom Drum Maker Based in Scotland)

Phrase

Hi guys,

I have been building my own drums for just over a year now and I'm currently setting up Murray Drums as a small business, based in Central Scotland. At the moment I'm focusing on making my own segmented snare drums and shells and segmented wood hoops, but I also make stave shells. I will hopefully be able to offer full stave / segmented kits in due course, but in the meantime, I can build custom kits using ply shells from other manufacturers (Keller, Highwood, Carrera, Alan Tocknell, to name a few!)

Here are a few pics of the drums I have built so far.

Maple Kit - 10x7, 12x8, 14x11, 20x13, 100% Maple shells with natural high gloss finish. Maple Hoops all round.

Solid Walnut Stave Snare Drum - 14x6.5, Satin oil finish.

Spruce Segmented Snare - 13x5. Ebony stain, high gloss finish.

Mahogany / Birch Segmented Snare - 13x5.75, Satin oil finish.

Various segmented shells:

Mahogany segmented shell - 14x5.5

Beech, Ash and Purpleheart shell - 14x6.5

Beech and Ash shell - 14x6.5

Murray segmented Merbau Hoops - 14" 10 lug

If you would like a quote for a custom snare or kit, please feel free to send me a PM!

Thanks.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    163.8 KB · Views: 4,842
  • spruce shell finished.JPG
    spruce shell finished.JPG
    296.4 KB · Views: 4,230
  • 15.JPG
    15.JPG
    312.8 KB · Views: 4,943
  • Mahog19.JPG
    Mahog19.JPG
    291.1 KB · Views: 5,035
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 4,132
  • Walnut Stave.jpg
    Walnut Stave.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 3,999
  • Beech Ash Purpleheart.jpg
    Beech Ash Purpleheart.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 4,053
  • Hoops.jpg
    Hoops.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 3,912
Last edited:
That's an interesting place for the mounts, is it an optical illusion or are they drilled right into the hoop? Gorgeous looking drums though! It's nice to see an up-and-coming manufacturer that doesn't just buy keller shells and paint them for ridiculous prices.

Gorgeous looking drums! Do you have a website?

-Jonathan

You do some beautiful work there,and its nice to see another custom builder,who actually builds drums,and not just another "hardware hanger".The badge is kind of retro and very tastefull.I truly dislike big badges,that cover such a beautiful finish.Best of luck,.....cheers.

Steve B

That's an interesting place for the mounts, is it an optical illusion or are they drilled right into the hoop? Gorgeous looking drums though! It's nice to see an up-and-coming manufacturer that doesn't just buy keller shells and paint them for ridiculous prices.

Gorgeous looking drums! Do you have a website?

-Jonathan

Thanks for the compliments. Well as for the kit, it was just a case of buying in the shells and parts and putting on a finish and fitting the hardware, so that's why I'm now focusing on making my own shells.

Yeah, I decided to mount the tom brackets on the hoop instead of fixing to the shell. I could have gone for a DSS system, but the wood hoops are really strong, so I decided to experiment with attaching them to the hoop. There is a solid block of maple glued and screwed to the underside of the hoop to give the brackets a solid fixing. One of the bracket fixing screws goes into the hoop itself and the other goes into the block.

I don't have my own website up and running just yet, but I'm on Facebook. Feel free to add me on there if you want to see my latest projects. http://www.facebook.com/fraser.murray.18

Cool looking drums man. And I dig the discreet badge. I will say though, that your logo looks quite similar to that of Marshall amps.

All what I see looks awesome and extremely well done. Very nice segmented and stave shells. In particular, I find the segmented shell very interesting because they are thin (which is quite rare) and have remarkably well cut bearing edges.

Hope to see your business growing and wish you all the best!

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliments. Well as for the kit, it was just a case of buying in the shells and parts and putting on a finish and fitting the hardware, so that's why I'm now focusing on making my own shells.

Yeah, I decided to mount the tom brackets on the hoop instead of fixing to the shell. I could have gone for a DSS system, but the wood hoops are really strong, so I decided to experiment with attaching them to the hoop. There is a solid block of maple glued and screwed to the underside of the hoop to give the brackets a solid fixing. One of the bracket fixing screws goes into the hoop itself and the other goes into the block.

I don't have my own website up and running just yet, but I'm on Facebook. Feel free to add me on there if you want to see my latest projects. http://www.facebook.com/fraser.murray.18

Wouldn't doing that cause the amount of pressure on the hoop to de-tune the toms?

Thanks! I sent you a friend request! Hey so where about in Scotland are you located? I'm coming from across the pond and would love to see your base of operations if at all possible!

-Jonathan

Thanks for all the feedback guys, sorry I've not logged in for a while!

I have now setup a Facebook page for Murray Drums

www.facebook.com/murraydrums

Here are some recent builds:

13x5 African Blackwood and Purpleheart segmented snare with matching wood hoops:

176525_458690390840193_2016845899_o.jpg

10x5 Wenge Maple and Bubinga segmented snare with wood hoops:

308157_450870628288836_1371415572_n.jpg

14x6 Walnut segmented shell with traditional style chrome hardware:

546385_446198218756077_2039836638_n.jpg

The Blackwood and Purpleheart is absolutely stunning. Might be one of my favorite looking snares, and of course the sound is grand. All of them look great, and the hardware matches the shells nicely.

Looks like very nice hand craftsmanship. I own a couple segment snares and like them a lot.

Again,Kudos on the classy understated badge,that badge will still look good half a century from now and beyond.

I have a hand crafted kit from a smaller maker that has a classy understated badge also,and I am so proud of it I have a Kick Head with a large decal with the makers name,I would do the same
If I had one of your kits.

Really, really nice job on these. They truly are works of art in addition to being fine instruments.

Back