Recording interface

Zoofie

Hey there
Was wondering if anybody could reccomend me a good recording interface that would be good to use for recording drums?
I run 2 overheads , kick mic , snare mic and 3 tom mics so need at least 7 inputs.
Also i want to record each 7 mics separately so they appear in the software in separate channels.
So all in all i have 2 questions :
1) What is a good interface that would suit my needs?
2) What is it called when you record each mic seperately on seperate channels instead of all mics in a stereo channel?

Cheers guys!
Peace!

1) What is a good interface that would suit my needs?
I would personally look into the RME Fireface 800. Lightnign quick with some of the best preamps available in an interface at the moment without going full HD. However, something like a Digi 003 rack might be a little cheaper - alas, its also a lot fussier about the systems it runs on, so be wary.

2) What is it called when you record each mic seperately on seperate channels instead of all mics in a stereo channel?
We normally call it Multitrack recording. Your PC calls it 'demanding'.

Firewire is necessary for all those channels and you need a minimum 0f 8 channel inputs. The RME fireface 800 has 4 mic preamps and 8 additional unbalanced inputs. in reality you are going to need 8 preamps since all your inputs will be mics. It also costs a bomb.

The other alternative, which might double for stage use, is a mixer with a firewire interface. This will have a preamp and EQ for each channel, which could be useful for live as well as recording.

Such as http://www.imuso.co.uk/Mixing-Desks/17321-/Mackie-Onyx-1220i-FireWire-Recording-Mixer

This is a cheaper and overall a more versatile solution IMHO.

Davo

Firewire is necessary for all those channels and you need a minimum 0f 8 channel inputs. The RME fireface 800 has 4 mic preamps and 8 additional unbalanced inputs. in reality you are going to need 8 preamps since all your inputs will be mics. It also costs a bomb.

Where are people reading this? Firewire is NOT necessary for 8 channel inputs. I run an 8-in 8-out interface on USB2 (Line 6 TonePort UX8) and it actually works great. S/PDIF, two additional (doubled) high-impedence guitar DI inputs, as well as inserts on every channel and a decent preamp. It cost me a grand total of £350 and I do all of my work on it and even I was surprised at the quality of the preamps. Due to an electrical surge (nothing to do with the interface) it's currently out of action, but it's a really great interface.

This is what I'm running straight into my Mac into Logic Studio 8 and Max/MSP and I've had no problems with any of its I/O functionality, provided that I don't use a USB hub and use the direct one into the back of my Mac. Where this myth that to run 8/8 you need Firewire comes from, I honestly have no idea.

Here is an example of a recording I did using the high-impedence guitar input.

The RME fireface 800 has 4 mic preamps and 8 additional unbalanced inputs. in reality you are going to need 8 preamps since all your inputs will be mics. It also costs a bomb.
More Mic-pre's can be connected, but my point was that the quality of what he was buying is phenomenal with the Fireface, even given the cost.

Calm down, calm down MFB.

The original poster wanted minimal latency and 8 mic channel inputs. Sure you can do this with USB2, but it certainly is getting to the limit of USB. All pros use firewire and so that tells us something. Also, guitar line inputs can be transmitted through unbalanced inputs, whereas a high number of mic inputs are better handled with dedicated mic pres.

Sure, there are many ways to skin a cat. It's important, as indeed is your post, to present as many options that we can.

Peace
Davo

Calm down, calm down MFB.

The original poster wanted minimal latency and 8 mic channel inputs. Sure you can do this with USB2, but it certainly is getting to the limit of USB. All pros use firewire and so that tells us something. Also, guitar line inputs can be transmitted through unbalanced inputs, whereas a high number of mic inputs are better handled with dedicated mic pres.

Sure, there are many ways to skin a cat. It's important, as indeed is your post, to present as many options that we can.

Peace
Davo

USB3 is out soon. Anyway. I'm perfectly calm.

I know plenty of people who run on USB interfaces. In fact, the industry is starting to go more towards USB than Firewire. I have no axe to grind against Firewire, I like Firewire a lot - but it's actually very hard to find a decent interface for the kind of money that most student budgets are at. My interface has eight inputs, two of which can be switched to unbalanced through their own dedicated sockets which bypasses the mic pre.

The only Firewire interfaces with comparable connectivity to mine that is around the same price range are the M-Audio NRV-10 and Presonus FireStudio. The reason I went for the TonePort? That I could get it relatively locally from where I usually live (Lancaster) and that it was a little bit cheaper, without any loss kind of feature loss. The NRV-10 is great - one of my best friends owns one - but I wanted an 8 by 8 rather than an 8 by 2.

More Mic-pre's can be connected, but my point was that the quality of what he was buying is phenomenal with the Fireface, even given the cost.

I agree it's a tasty unit. A drummer's needs are unique and quite different from guitar and bass. It is quite common to cut/boost certain frequencies for certain drums. The bass drum may have the mids cut, whereas the floor tom might need a specific boominess frequency cut etc. Also the mics used will be different for the bass drum from the cymbals and from the general stereo mics. They will all have different needs and this is why a mixer may be a better option.

Davo

USB3 is out soon. Anyway. I'm perfectly calm.

I know plenty of people who run on USB interfaces. In fact, the industry is starting to go more towards USB than Firewire.

I don't know about the move over to USB but it sure would make life easier. There are far too many connection systems around as there is. I also use a USB interface!

My new Mac is firewire 800 compatable and so my next interface will utilise that. I totally agree that the USB interfaces are much cheaper and it's almost as if the industry has decided that USB is for the masses and firewire is for the pros.

Anyways, it's good to chew the fat over this issue.

Davo

I don't know about the move over to USB but it sure would make life easier. There are far too many connection systems around as there is. I also use a USB interface!

My new Mac is firewire 800 compatable and so my next interface will utilise that. I totally agree that the USB interfaces are much cheaper and it's almost as if the industry has decided that USB is for the masses and firewire is for the pros.

Anyways, it's good to chew the fat over this issue.

Davo

I don't even think that's the case. I think that the whole industry is being moved to USB de facto - the quality is as good as most Firewire interfaces. My Mac has Firewire, but mine is an older model. When I get a MacBook, and it will be happening by February at the latest and it probably won't have have a Firewire port - which is a shame - but I've never used either of my ports on my current Mac. The next external HDD should probably be Firewire to serve as a boot disk.

I've just bought a macbook pro and it does have firewire 800. So no worries. I also use a backup external hard drive and I use firewire for that - boy is it fast!

Davo

Unfortunately a MacBook Pro isn't on the cards. I just don't and won't have the budget for it.

Oh that they are. I didn't see it as gloating in the slightest!

I got a behringer 8 channel mixer 6 mic pre's and 2 1/4 inch mic inputs 200$
I also got a samson 7 piece drum mic set for 200$ the mixer is USB interface and you
also get software for recording the web for behringer also provides ASIO driver to control your lantency settings (recomended) I thaught the behringer software sucked to complicated to use. right now i am using mixcraft4 from acustica. similar to garage band on macs 60$ the program is very easy to use but uts not that great you need to make sure you shut down all programs running like anti virus stuff like that on your tool bar. it tends to lock up my labtop. I am waiting to get a macbook studio stuff and audio production does not work well with a P.C. So with mike cords and some stands for your overheads. the other mics are clip ons. you are looking at about 500$ or so To me thats a killer deal for all of that equipment. Checkout Sam Ash music for the samson mic kit & cables best prices i have found the mixer check out a company called Gand music in Illinois. they somtimes have deals on returned equipment or used stuff , my mixer was brand new 200$ the model of mixer i have is a Zenix1222fx. The next step is getting a macbook pcs just dont cut it for music production . To me its the biggest bang for the buck. by the way I have used my mics at gigs and they sound great for the price also get a shure sm57 for your snare. good luck.

Back