The name of the kit is influencing me!

I mean, a 14" bass drum? Come on.
Agreed. Outside of something for a child to play on, when will people learn that when you get to 20" or below, the diameter of the bass drum becomes irrelevant in terms of stage space. It's depth that takes up real estate.

At 14", it's not a bass drum, it's just a drum on it's side. There's nothing "bass" about it. "Alto" drum maybe? "Tenor" on a good day? ;)

The kit looks lovely!

I play along to a lot of hiphop beats and breakbeats and stuff, and that looks like a good set to do that with.

Enjoy you new(est) drums!

The Martini would be a cool kit to put mesh heads with triggers on.

The Martini would be a cool kit to put mesh heads with triggers on.

It sounds awesome in person:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoAZf3Re--0

20131101_190707.jpg

I have played the Ludwig kit and a similar micro sized kit from Gretsch. The Gretsch kit had an adjustable bass drum. Out of the box the Sonor kit sounded great. I think Bo and I will start the Pinoy chapter of the too many drums club.

After owning a Safari I have concluded that 16" is the smallest that I want to go as far as a bass drum is concerned. I really like my Safari and I find that the 16" BD is at the limit for me as far as depth of sound. Also, I would never be happy with a single 8" ride tom. 10" is the smallest that I want to play.
I also agree with Bo that the metal BD hoops are better replaced with wood. I never replaced mine because I only gig with my Safari on rare occasion. Most of the time is is left at a bands practice space where I play it once a week.

I converted a 16" tom to a bass with spurs and a riser.
I tried to play it and it just didn't feel right. I sold it without really giving it a fair chance.
I'm real comfortable with the 18's and 20's I've got, but for some reason, the 16 just felt silly to me.
I think it might have seemed a bit better if it would have had proper bass drum hoops on it,
instead of the tom hoops.
I do have another 16 floor tom, and most of the parts to try it again.
Maybe I will someday - ha ha.

I pretty much agree about the tom sizes too.
IMO, once you get below a 10" tom, you're into roto-tom territory.

The hats and stand in the pic AirborneSFC posted look a little out of proportion.
I think they need to be downsized - LOL.

Back