Help with Windows 8.1 ?

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I know, I shoulda stuck with XP!

Anyway, I needed a new laptop, and it's running 8.1. As obtuse an OS as that is, I've been able to jump every hurdle except one:

As an admin user, for some reason I'm not seeing background images on web sites. This is kinda important, as I design web sites using IE and Firefox! But neither browser will show me bg images.

Supposedly, a regular user can see everything, so I created another user, but couldn't see most of the programs I had installed as the admin!

So my questions are:

Shouldn't the admin to have complete access to every feature of every program, and how do I enable that?

Or is there a setting in IE or Firefox or elsewhere in Windows that will allow bg images to display?

Or if a regular user is the only one that can see the bg images, how do I enable that user to also access the admin-installed programs?

Any help is appreciated, believe me, if I could go back and get Windows7 I would do it! My wife's got that and it was very easy to configure without all the wacky security and access and permissions that pervade the new OS. XP has been great, but I need more processing power and ram, and XP is holding me back. :(

Thanks,

Bermuda

Last edited:
Thanks, I had seen that in connection with restoring the classic Start menu, but not sure if it will clear up my bg image issue. I'd prefer for Windows to operate as cleanly as possible (HAHAHAHAHAHA) without a 3rd party emulation, but if all else fails, I'll give it a shot.

I actually thought about going Mac - a failed experiment I tried a few years ago - but that's getting screwy in its own way as well. Maybe Linux? :)

Bermuda

I'll second Classic Shell. I can't stand the default set up on 8.

The question is, will that solve my user-permissions problem? It's hard to believe that the admin has restrictions!

I actually thought about going Mac - a failed experiment I tried a few years ago - but that's getting screwy in its own way as well. Maybe Linux? :)
Bermuda

It is likely you will find the new Macs and OSX to be wonderful. My wife and I went all in a few years ago and have not regretted it for a second. 2 iPhones, 2 iPads, 1 iMac, one MacBook Pro, one AppleTv. It has been a godsend for us.

Back