Is the Moeller technique only about accents?

palo

can you play a string of fast one handed 16 notes without accenting any of them using the moeller method?it seems to be based around an initial accent followed by 2 softer notes,I dont know...

My son is learning to use it as a method of timekeepig and phrasing in college. He learned it as method of executing accents but is now learning to expand upon its usefulness. He is walking the same halls Mr. Gadd once did.

what kind of finger practice routine should I follow,how long a day,metronome increase etc...I'm at an embarrassing 100bpm for left handed 16 notes and struggling to keep up with some of the exercises in Chapin's "advanced techniques for the modern drummer."he does them at 130!,just thought he was using moeller , but apparently...

Yes indeed, Moeller whip strokes are for generating accents without using the wrist. If you're just looking to play consecutive notes at the same stick height/dynamic level then the free stroke will be the way to go. As long as you're loose the fingers will start to kick in more and more as you get faster in order to conserve motion. Good luck!

Everyone has this sick obsession with Moeller technique... Thanks Jo Jo lol.

I do like Moeller, but only when it is applied to the correct playing situation, the whole three note stroke thing I think is just a glorified exercise to help you practice. Jo Jo Mayer was able to apply it well because he plays drum and bass or styles of music with lots of filler in between, enabling to utilise the three notes in one stroke action.

Moeller is great for some back beats if you're using Ghost Notes and It's nice for Jazz ride patterns, but I think some drummers get too obsessed with it... There are lots of other techniques or areas of drumming that should be focused on. Of course if you're lucky enough to be rich enough (or have rich parents) to not need to work full time and play drums all day then go for it...

It's a technique that is indeed used for accents and to allow you to get some dynamics in your playing and not hurt yourself when playing at PPP levels if you want to. but to go for really fast notes, indeed focus on your fingers and get them up to speed.

Everyone has this sick obsession with Moeller technique... Thanks Jo Jo lol.

I do like Moeller, but only when it is applied to the correct playing situation, the whole three note stroke thing I think is just a glorified exercise to help you practice. Jo Jo Mayer was able to apply it well because he plays drum and bass or styles of music with lots of filler in between, enabling to utilise the three notes in one stroke action.

Moeller is great for some back beats if you're using Ghost Notes and It's nice for Jazz ride patterns, but I think some drummers get too obsessed with it... There are lots of other techniques or areas of drumming that should be focused on. Of course if you're lucky enough to be rich enough (or have rich parents) to not need to work full time and play drums all day then go for it...

It's a technique that is indeed used for accents and to allow you to get some dynamics in your playing and not hurt yourself when playing at PPP levels if you want to. but to go for really fast notes, indeed focus on your fingers and get them up to speed.

But unless your style of drumming is strictly one one dynamic level it's an essential technique to acquire.

There are lots of other techniques or areas of drumming that should be focused on........

Couldn't agree more.....but "as opposed" to Moeller, or in order to "compliment" what can (or even, can't) be done with Moeller?

Moeller is but one road to travel......that much I agree. But it is not some magical quest or mysterious venture towards some unattainable technique that takes a lifetime to acquire. It is a naturally occurring, ergonomic, action that requires a small amount of concentration and repetition to utilise. Do you ignore it purely because you can travel another path....because it's been given a name and is readily discussed on drum forums, or do you embrace it because it is simply another available (not to mention, viable) playing option?

Yes, many roads lead to Rome......and Moeller is only one of them. But why not travel it if it allows you to do what's required.....or at least explore the possibilities that it opens up?

Yes indeed, Moeller whip strokes are for generating accents without using the wrist.
Well the wrist is involved in the moeller motion, isn't it?

Personally I often use a (small) moeller technique to play 16th notes on the hihat.
I believe I can manage to keep the strokes rather even if I want to, although not
exactly the same sounding (and looking of course). But if you're playing louder
strokes it's definitely not possible to play all strokes the same volume using Moeller.

No, in my opinion it is possible to gain some speed with it (with or without the extra use of fingers) although the roll won't be even.
Check out Tigerbill and joe Morello

I belive you can use the same technique as moeller with smaller wrist motion and not play accents with it. Call it what you want but I use the exact same motions as moeller just different dynamic in my strokes when I even it out. I even practice to use it for a single stroke roll, that will take years though :)

I actually found moeller whip fairly easy to practice and learn. Only ten or twenty minutes a day consistently will do. You don't need to quit your day job or have rich parents to learn it. ;)

You don't need to quit your day job or have rich parents to learn it. ;)

For sure.

If you've ever shaken out your sheets......or sand from your towel at the beach, you're already well on your way. If you've ever cracked a whip......you're bordering on over qualified.

Of course, i'm not saying don't use it... But don't get bogged down

True, it's alway surprising how controversial a technique it seems to be. Learning it thoroughly is important, and that requires a little bit of dedication at the start. But quickly enough it's worked into your everyday playing and can be forgotten about.

I belive you can use the same technique as moeller with smaller wrist motion and not play accents with it. Call it what you want but I use the exact same motions as moeller just different dynamic in my strokes when I even it out. I even practice to use it for a single stroke roll, that will take years though :)

Besides many people use it without knowing they actually use Moeller (That's my case I formerly study it later).

Back