pedal for jazz

You seem to be pricing pedals but what pedals have you actually tried besides the Iron Cobra?

try the jazzer 3000, i think it's by ludwig? it's like a variant of a speedking, but more smooth.
i think it's just a spring, but they may make a direct drive version too.

I use the now discontinued DW 5000 NX strap drive pedal. It has been replaced with the DW6000NX. Great pedal folds up nicely and has smooth action

Attachments

• DW6000.jpg
    DW6000.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 688
What is a good pedal for jazz? I am looking for one as I find some I will ask if it good? Thank you all for your input.

RevWrona

I am a Jazz player for the most part and I prefer pedals with a lighter action, these allow you to "feather" the bass drum easier which is important in playing Jazz. The pedal must be smooth and quick as well. My current favorites are a Trick Pro 1V and and Axis X Longboard.

Thank you for posting this. Perhaps I should give this one a try.
Like others here have mentioned, I've been so unhappy pedal shopping within the last few years since they are all so darn over engineered, too freaking heavy and cost way more than I'm willing to pay.
I've been using a DW5000 strap pedal for the last 10+ years and am still comparing it to my no-longer-made Gretsch Floating Action pedal which I judge all others against.
The DW5000 still does not suit me and that includes after I immediately tossed the DW dual sided beater that came with it out the door.
Lightweight and simple is what I'm after. This may be the ticket. The fact that it has a strap is making me happy for starters.

yes, RE "pedal which I judge all others against." kinda the same deal for me although i grew up w/ ludwigs speed kings, ghosts and odd slingerland pedals. i got more into facility when i bought a 7 series "professional model" yamaha strap drive around '88. cut my teeth on it trying to cop all sorts of styles & tech levels. so that was the feel i was going after. simple, light & fast, strap drive.

i went thru trials of tama & pearl - just "OK" for me. bought a pearl. i found the modern pearl "eliminator" w/ the cams to be a complete joke - too much delay & mass. went thru axis trials -- nice but i knew there would be a learning curve. went thru DW 2005, 2007 & 2009. all nice but too much mass & i felt like i would have to re-learn my tech (except the 9000) to some degree. i actually bought the 2007 & after a week traded it in for the yamaha FP8500B.

FYI, the yamaha HS1200 w/ the same foot-board i own is equally bad-a$$ & the best hi-hat pedal i have even used.

.....i actually bought the 2007 & after a week traded it in for the yamaha FP8500B......

Not to hijack the thread but I just ordered an FP8500B today after much deliberation. I hope it pans out. Unfortunately the town I live in has very little to offer in way of test driving things so I'm going based on gut and loving all other Yamaha hardware I've been using since the mid 1980's.

Not to hijack the thread but I just ordered an FP8500B today after much deliberation. I hope it pans out. Unfortunately the town I live in has very little to offer in way of test driving things so I'm going based on gut and loving all other Yamaha hardware I've been using since the mid 1980's.

dig it ! i know i sound like an AD for yamaha or something but you are gonna love it. very deceptive pedal w/ how much design & ergonomics are in it. light w/ a great smooth foot-board that i am used to. very similar to the late 80's a bit in appearance. that great yamaha feel, whatever that is...but i could play the thing right out of the box. no learning curve. just tightened up the spring a bit & started doing RFRF LFLF as fast as possible. it felt right. the pedal is not the bottleneck, heh.

the same model hi-hat HS1200 is equally as sweet. real, REAL nice splash control when you are playing brushes on a ballad & very forceful "chick" on louder stuff.

I am a Jazz player for the most part and I prefer pedals with a lighter action, these allow you to "feather" the bass drum easier which is important in playing Jazz. The pedal must be smooth and quick as well. My current favorites are a Trick Pro 1V and and Axis X Longboard.

How about the DW 9000?

I just ordered a classic Camco remake from Tama a few days ago.
I felt that it was time that I added one of these to my collection.

I just ordered a classic Camco remake from Tama a few days ago.
I felt that it was time that I added one of these to my collection.

You'll love it Bob, a classic, a simple, lightweight and fast little gem, I use them in both single and double pedals guise for almost 30 years, I still have the double pedals, but nowadays I play a Mapex Falcon. :)

With my current band I have been called to play brushes in our "dinner set".I am not good at feathering the BD at all. I use an IC power glide and found that the offset cam and the way I have it adjusted gives me to much speed and volume and is difficult to control with my limited feathering technique.

I always keep a speed king in my trunk as a spare,and I am able to feather it much more easily.

The experienced Jazz guys probably have such good technique that they can use a heavier/power pedal with a little adjustment or none at all.

If you are looking for a specific tool for the job I would try everything at the drumstore,but I would look for a lighter feeling pedal,and would stay away from any pedal that increases speed as it gets closer to impact to start with.

I agree. For jazz, I use the Speed King for jazz: lighter touch, faster, and I keep my whole foot on the pedal with the heel in the mobile (not stationary) position. For rock, I use my Yamaha or Sonor pedal with the ball of my foot only for "shooting the cannon". Totally different techniques and sounds. The Speed King now sells for around $150 and is not worth it. There is an ad in Classic Drummer magazine for a place that totally reconditions Speed Kings, no matter how old, from inside and out and will even re-color it for you. I suggest buying a used one and having that done if you're serious about jazz.

You'll love it Bob, a classic, a simple, lightweight and fast little gem, I use them in both single and double pedals guise for almost 30 years, I still have the double pedals, but nowadays I play a Mapex Falcon. :)
The Camco reissue pedal came in yesterday and I really like it.
It is exactly what I was looking for in a classic pedal. I like the "pie slice" shaped bag that comes with it too.

Back