Remo Quaduro's - any information/advice?

BFrench501

Hi guys,

Have seen a set of these for £90. Its basically 12/13/16 toms and a 20" kick all with depth of 3 or 4 inches. Its like a Pearl traveller kit to an extent. No tom arms etc but its Pearl style arms so I can buy them cheap enough.

I would have bought them but for one problem. There are no bass drum legs - what I need is some poles which I then tighten up with a screw which holds it in place.

Has anyone seen these kits or used them? Are they worth £90 as a practise kit or for open mics etc?

There are a few people on the forum that like these drums. They just haven't chimed it yet.

I recently became a big fan of Remo drums when my bass player gave me an Acousticon 516 kit he had sitting in his garage. It's pretty much a beater which I haven't had time to really restore yet. But I've played them at gigs a bunch of times, and they are awesome sounding drums. Mine are the double-headed drums, 10x8, 12x10, 14x14, 22x16, and 14x5 snare. So obviously a different animal that the kit you are considering. The kick drum has an unbelievably huge sound for the size, great tone and resonance and it really punches through without being miked.

The kit you are probably looking at is called a Legero. (You didn't include a link.) The Remo drums in general and the shells in particular are called Acousiticon. Quadura is the name of the wrap, but is often confused for the name of the drum. I haven't personally played a Legero, but I've read great reviews on the sound elsewhere on the internets. Seems like a perfect kit for small stages, or for when you want to travel light. I actually am kinda looking for one myself, but haven't seen one cheap enough yet.

I think 90 pounds is about $150? If I'm right about that, that's a great deal. The only problem is the lack of legs. If you could make some legs, that solves it. But I bet you'd have a problem finding the actual legs as parts. I keep an eye on Remo parts on ebay, and I've never seen the legs come up.

Remos in general aren't very well known or appreciated, so you can usually find really good deals. On the other hand, you also see people asking unrealistic prices for kits they will never sell. But if you are patient you can get a great kit for a lot less that you would spend for any other brand.

A few things to know and look out for: The shells are a composite material and are very heavy, although a Legero would obviously be lighter because of the depth and being one-sided. Remo went though a few design changes on the shells before they perfected the formula. The earlier shells are pretty much crap, and prone to the edges getting rolled inward under tension from the heads. (See the silver colored shell pic below for a good example.) I'm not sure when they started the Legeros, and what shell they were using at that time. But if they have lugs like the black Legero tom shown below, they will be the later shells, probably the Acousticon 516 shell, or even a Masteredge, both of which are great shells. Ask the seller about the edges, if they have any damage. If they do, the drums are trash. The hardware also can have issues, stripping of the screw threads. If the buyer says the drums don't have any issues on those points, I'd say BUY EM right now!

Here's a link to more Remo info and pics on my kit:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114220

Attachments

• IMG_2994smSM.jpg
    IMG_2994smSM.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 592
  • remo.jpg
    remo.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 749
They are essentially what the Pearl traveler was based on.

They were first introduced very late 80's. They were popular for a minute, then fell off the radar.

The hardware was pretty generic made in Asia stuff, nothing the least bit special.

But for a practice kit, or playing coffee houses, why not?

Back