Breaking news : Simon Phillips' home burned down !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you go to the Gofundme website you will see that 10,000 people start gofundme accounts everyday for all kinds of reasons. Next issue please ...

The issue is that a number of people here idolize Simon (to a degree), and our monkey brains can't reconcile when we perceive shortcomings in our idols.

The issue is that a number of people here idolize Simon (to a degree), and our monkey brains can't reconcile when we perceive shortcomings in our idols.

That was my previous post, that too many people think all famous people are rich. Mickey Rooney who was the biggest star in the world at one time, died with a fortune of $12,000. We put them on pedestals and gasp when we find out the pedestal is broken.

My suggestion would be to donate to Gofundme campaigns that you feel worthy and skip those that you feel suspicious of and move on. Why fret over something that has no effect on you one way or another. If you go to the Gofundme website you will see that 10,000 people start gofundme accounts everyday for all kinds of reasons. Next issue please ...

You raise a good point, and perhaps I don't understand Go Fund Me very well at all. Maybe it is just a for-profit social media clearing house for begging and nothing more. I learn something every day, thank goodness.

As for fretting over things we have no control over, and not that I'm fretting over this for what it may seem, but you've just described the hive mind that has become so much of the internet, one way or another. How else could anyone explain why a questioner's logical question so quickly becomes what is ultimately questionable?

Can't understand anyone begrudging Simon Phillips trying to rebuild his life and looking for help.

The idea that people should spread charity around is nonsense and a pipe dream. If someone donates to 5 out of 6 charities does that make them an inconsiderate person for ignoring the last charity? Is someone who donates to no charities at all actually more 'fair' as they treat them all equally with no preference?

He's doing his best and his life has been torn apart. Now he's doing all he can to get back to where he was. If he's using his name in anyway to get there, so be it and all power to him. If he's in a better place he can help others. Right now it sounds like he's living out of a suitcase.

Discouraging fans of his to donate does not mean that those fans will instead donate to a fund for all the victims, and I think this is the bottom line.

Can't understand anyone begrudging Simon Phillips trying to rebuild his life and looking for help.

He's doing his best and his life has been torn apart. Now he's doing all he can to get back to where he was. If he's using his name in anyway to get there, so be it and all power to him. If he's in a better place he can help others. Right now it sounds like he's living out of a suitcase.

Ditto. I'm surprised by some of the assumptions on this thread. Yeah, he's really milking the system. To date he's raised $67,210:

https://www.gofundme.com/jwequ-life-rebuilding-fund

Ditto. I'm surprised by some of the assumptions on this thread. Yeah, he's really milking the system. To date he's raised $67,210:

https://www.gofundme.com/jwequ-life-rebuilding-fund

You realize this is a yearly salary for a lot of people who work hard for that money and don't just have it gifted to them? You think out of all the people displaced from these fires, he deserves more than others get because he's an inspiring musician?

Fine, if you need 10 or 20 k to keep you going and get "essentials" while insurance is worked out, whatever, even that sounds like too much. Begging on the internet for 200 grand when you already have insurance coming because people know your name is pretty deplorable.

But I get it, he's a star. Expecting him to stay in some lowly only 3 star hotel that doesn't even have his preferred shampoo scent is just being silly. Since he's only been able to beg 70 grand he probably did have to downgrade from the room with the Jacuzzi and that is pretty hard on a guy, so I see where you're coming from. The struggle of only getting 70k in free money while you really wanted 200,000 is probably causing a lot of mental anguish too.

Last edited by a moderator:
You realize this is a yearly salary for a lot of people who work hard for that money and don't just have it gifted to them? You think out of all the people displaced from these fires, he deserves more than others get because he's an inspiring musician?

This is almost twice my yearly salary. But, he is more than twice the drummer I am, and a hundred thousand times more popular.

Fine, if you need 10 or 20 k to keep you going and get "essentials" while insurance is worked out, whatever, even that sounds like too much. Begging on the internet for 200 grand when you already have insurance coming because people know your name is pretty deplorable.

But I get it, he's a star. Expecting him to stay in some lowly only 3 star hotel that doesn't even have his preferred shampoo scent is just being silly.

Do we have to audit him to see if he's needy enough? Who pays his band members while he's waiting for insurance? How does this affect the people who need his studio? What about his neighbors, who he's apparently helping? Do we need to track them down to see if he's spreading the wealth? I imagine many people are dependent on him and his "star power" in raising money is a lot more effective than if an anonymous neighbor does the same.

Now if it turns out he's using it to stock up on Head & Shoulders, then you can say you told me so.

Do we have to audit him to see if he's needy enough?
Obviously not. He graciously decided he could try and get by only asking for two hundred thousand dollars. We should be kissing his ass and giving more money since he's so humble!

Who pays his band members while he's waiting for insurance?
His house being burned means he can't play any gigs with his band? Plenty of musicians are hustling however they need to help fix their lives after the devastation.

How does this affect the people who need his studio?
Cry me a river. There are other studios and other priorities.

What about his neighbors, who he's apparently helping?
I read the original post. No mention what so ever of his neighbors and a call for almost a quarter million on top of insurance.

Do we need to track them down to see if he's spreading the wealth?
Why? He never made any claims he was giving anything to anyone. This is a 200 thousand dollar "get me back on my feet" request.

I imagine many people are dependent on him and his "star power" in raising money is a lot more effective than if an anonymous neighbor does the same.
By that logic all the small company owners who were also affected in the exact same way all deserve truck loads of free money donations to spend as they please.

Now if it turns out he's using it to stock up on Head & Shoulders, then you can say you told me so.
Yea, that's probably it. 70 grand on head n shoulders.

I really don't understand the hoopla. A person asks for help. Others people willingly help. Simple.

People who are arguing over who "deserves" what are essentially bringing their values and judgment to bear on a situation that they aren't directly involved in.

Contribute, or don't. Done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back