Metal players only: solid or nitro throne?

T

trkdrmr

For those of you that play double kick a lot, at high speed...

Do you feel stable and comfortable on a throne like the roc n soc nitro, or do you feel that a solid type throne is better for your purposes?

I have read metal drummers complain that the gas-charged thrones are too soft and thus throw them off. This would not necessarily be an issue for someone who plays some occasional double kick fills.

I prefer solid thrones. I don't really blast away on the double bass a la Chris Adler, but I do incorporate double bass into what I play. Gas thrones just don't feel right for me, so I prefer solid.

I prefer solid thrones. I don't really blast away on the double bass a la Chris Adler, but I do incorporate double bass into what I play. Gas thrones just don't feel right for me, so I prefer solid.

I have read in places that if your primary musical requirements are blastbeats, that a gas charged throne moves too much. I need to try a solid throne and compared, it's been too many years. I don't want any factors to compete with that kind of playing.

I've never owned a Roc n Soc or pork pie throne. Not sure if they're hugely different, they look similar and somewhat trendy.

For the same amount of money, or less I'm not sure.. I bought the Tama 1st chair biker shape. Its the most solid seat I've used and owned. Set it up and its rock solid, try shaking it around and it doesnt lift off the ground. Its more solid than a cymbal stand and the best thing about it is the goddamn seat part doesnt spin around (very easily). I mean it turns when you make it, but its not like some seats that spin every time you twist.

It works for the type of metal I play, lots of double kick... 8th note singles, 16th note double, and 16th note triplets. Some times I have to put the spikes out on the bass drum to keep that from running away.
I also play lots of gravity beats/blast beats I dont know if there's a difference there... fast fills, blast beats, fast beats and double kick. Highly recommended... or imo DW has great hardware, probably even better than Tama's.

I've never owned a Roc n Soc or pork pie throne. Not sure if they're hugely different, they look similar and somewhat trendy.

For the same amount of money, or less I'm not sure.. I bought the Tama 1st chair biker shape. Its the most solid seat I've used and owned. Set it up and its rock solid, try shaking it around and it doesnt lift off the ground. Its more solid than a cymbal stand and the best thing about it is the goddamn seat part doesnt spin around (very easily). I mean it turns when you make it, but its not like some seats that spin every time you twist.

It works for the type of metal I play, lots of double kick... 8th note singles, 16th note double, and 16th note triplets. Some times I have to put the spikes out on the bass drum to keep that from running away.
I also play lots of gravity beats/blast beats I dont know if there's a difference there... fast fills, blast beats, fast beats and double kick. Highly recommended... or imo DW has great hardware, probably even better than Tama's.

You touched on something that's my issue ATM. The roc n soc freely spins, and that is a little like playing from a moving platform. I don't like that at all.

DSefinitely solid thrones if your playing lots of double kick is my preference. I play with a pearl seat, forget the model number and name but it doesnt move at all which is great for that type of playing

DSefinitely solid thrones if your playing lots of double kick is my preference. I play with a pearl seat, forget the model number and name but it doesnt move at all which is great for that type of playing

My local gc has the following solid tractor seat thrones:
Tama, Pork Pie, Roc n Soc and Sound percussion.

With the exception of the SP, they are all $139.95.

This might sound like a silly question, but on the bottom part of the seat is the wingnut tightened all the way? I guess there are some thrones that when fully tightened still spin. My Tama seat might spin sometimes if the wingnut is tight but can be tightened more.
I've had some back problems for the past few years and the biggest problem about an unsolid throne is it might cramp your back.

This might sound like a silly question, but on the bottom part of the seat is the wingnut tightened all the way? I guess there are some thrones that when fully tightened still spin. My Tama seat might spin sometimes if the wingnut is tight but can be tightened more.
I've had some back problems for the past few years and the biggest problem about an unsolid throne is it might cramp your back.

It is, this throne is meant to spin easily. Also the suspension system subtly bounces too much when you really try to lay into double kick singles.

I went by GC and tried a tama, pearl, sound percussion, pork pie and dw.

I bought the solid pork pie because it looked to be better constructed that the others, with a better seat. Also it says "Made by an American" and that's who I need to support anyway.

I play Death Metal/Grind so like 99% double bass haha. I use the pork pie round throne. I tried out a bunch and perfered the pork pie being locked solid.

I have the roc n soc nitro and I love it when playing metal, I can distance myself perfectly from the pedals with it.

I think he means he sits close when playing and for double bass he leans back or something?

i do believe he finds it easy to get the perfect height not distance away from the pedals.
i play on a roc n soc nitro and love it never had a problem when running double bass

As luck would have it, I still have the nitro and the solid Pork Pie.

I meant height, cause you can adjust it to be really short or really high, its awesome.

I meant height, cause you can adjust it to be really short or really high, its awesome.

Yep, the brand makes good stuff. Comfortable, solid and with a wide adjustment. Some of the cheaper thones don't go very high at all. I tried a sound percussion. Yikes!

Glad to hear you bought one made in America. I chose some domestic gear, Sabian and Ayotte and that stuff makes me proud.

There is so much innovative stuff out there, and its American made. Lots to be proud of, I like the cars. My caddie is the 2nd GM car I've owned.

Glad to hear you bought one made in America. I chose some domestic gear, Sabian and Ayotte and that stuff makes me proud.

There is so much innovative stuff out there, and its American made. Lots to be proud of, I like the cars. My caddie is the 2nd GM car I've owned.

Buying American (or domestic for any countries citizens) is like voting. One or two may not be a big deal. But if every drummer than was on this forum bought domestic gear, and supported their local store it would make a difference.

Sabian, Ayotte and GM from Canada right? It is good to keep money at home. USA and Canadian economies are so intertwined that the lines blur and the money spreads across North America.

Besides, I hold Ayotte in higher esteem than many drum companies. If I were plunking down $4k on a maple kit, I'd look to Ayotte, DW, Gretsch or Ludwig. There is no need for everything I spend to go overseas.

Back