Getting involved into a new music scene

So I finished college last summer, and have started teaching in a new area and don't really know any musicians. I was trying to take a year to focus on my technique and playing, but 4 months without a band to play with is driving me crazy. So I'm thinking of breaking my self imposed music exile and trying to find some new people to play with.

The problem I'm facing is that I have no idea where to find people to play with. In college, I just kind of happened to find people to play with by chance, but the life of a high school math teacher in a small rural community doesn't really bode well to finding like minded musicians.
Any advice or stories you guys can through my way would be awesome.

dont be shy get involved in every way possible. take lessons from the big names around you maybe check out colleges if they have music programs. go to concerts and approach drummers after shows and talk it up with them. attend clinics post on craigslist make a brochure telling people about yourself and what you bring to playing make a flyer for business opportunities and post them around town. this is just some of the things you can do to make yourself known. just be friendly and have a good amount of knowledge in drum talk.

Back