Is it possible that my drum throne is affecting how fast I can play double bass?

foREVer

I have a very small, cheap, no-name brand drum throne. It is pretty uncomfortable, and it has no springs in it whatsoever. It is also very limited on how the height changes. So I was just wondering if it could be affecting how fast I play double bass. When I first got the throne, I was almost 14 years old, and I was able to play pretty fast. Now I am almost 17, so ofcourse I am a lot bigger, and it feels too small. I almost have to try and keep my balance when playing double bass. So I was just wondering if getting a new throne is a must.

I would recommend getting a really good throne, it's probably the most important component of the drum kit! You need to be able to balance effortlessly in order to do double bass stuff, and it's very important for your posture generally too. I've never looked back since upgrading from the basic one that came with the Pearl Forum I stated with.

If the throne is so unsteady that you can't keep your balance and you're constantly shifting, holding yourself steady with one foot, or can't keep even strokes on the pedals without wobbling... yes, it can be affecting how well you are playing double kicks. A better throne will not magically increase the speed you have, but it *will* remove a serious obstacle to getting to where you want to be. Don't skimp on a throne. It's the only thing supporting your weight during a show.

I am on my 4th throne and I've been playing 6 years. I'm not a massive consumer, the cheap thrones just don't last.

Spend the money and get a really good adjustable throne. This will actually save you money IMHO. Then you can experiment with seat height. You are probably (I'm just guessing) sitting too low if your speed is being affected.

Cheers
Davo

Back