Marotta Bros.?

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Been thinking about some of my favorite session musicians of my youth lately.
Anybody know what Rick and Jerry Marotta are up to these days?

Rick Marotta co produced and played drums on an album I did back in the late 80's. We spent about two weeks together at his house in Encino doing preproduction, and then several more weeks recording at a studio co-Owned by the other producer, Greg Ladanyi. Haven't spoken with Rick in years, but I know he has done a lot of music for film and tv. since that time. He's a great guy, a real New York Italian, very funny, quite intense.

I've got so many stories from that era. We hung out quite a bit, went to parties, to sessions and gigs- I went to see him play with Larry Carlton at the Baked Potato, and sat at the table with his friends, Jackson Browne, Peter Frampton, Tony Levin, and Steve Ferone!

The recording sessions were very stressful, in large part because Ladanyi was a very abrasive personality and was doing coke pretty much all the time. I was too young, and didn't have the confidence to stand up to him. When things were going badly, Rick would joke " This is whats going happen to your career", and swoop his hand downwards, making dive bomber noises. He was right in some ways-the album never got released.

But he was a good guy and a great drummer. He said he didn't start playing drums till he was in his late teens and a friend who was going into the army asked him to look after his drums.

Rick Marotta co produced and played drums on an album I did back in the late 80's. We spent about two weeks together at his house in Encino doing preproduction, and then several more weeks recording at a studio co-Owned by the other producer, Greg Ladanyi. Haven't spoken with Rick in years, but I know he has done a lot of music for film and tv. since that time. He's a great guy, a real New York Italian, very funny, quite intense.

I've got so many stories from that era. We hung out quite a bit, went to parties, to sessions and gigs- I went to see him play with Larry Carlton at the Baked Potato, and sat at the table with his friends, Jackson Browne, Peter Frampton, Tony Levin, and Steve Ferone!

The recording sessions were very stressful, in large part because Ladanyi was a very abrasive personality and was doing coke pretty much all the time. I was too young, and didn't have the confidence to stand up to him. When things were going badly, Rick would joke " This is whats going happen to your career", and swoop his hand downwards, making dive bomber noises. He was right in some ways-the album never got released.

But he was a good guy and a great drummer. He said he didn't start playing drums till he was in his late teens and a friend who was going into the army asked him to look after his drums.

Great story, thanks for sharing!

Dutch

Back