A night with Gavin Harrison

S

sticks4drums

Last night, my best friend and I went to Waterloo Ontario to spend a night with Gavin Harrison. Some of you might know him as the drummer for Porcupine tree.

Up until a couple of months ago, I had not even heard about Gavin Harrison, and very little about Porcupine tree. Not sure why, but I hadn't.

This was you typical product push of Sonor, Zildjian, Vic-Firth equipment. They had a Sonor Delite kit with what I think was a new finish for this year. I was a little bit disappointed that he did not have his Sonor SQ2 kit from Drum solo week. I thought that was the best sounding kit of the Letterman drum solo week's.

They opened up the night with the usual introductions, and a few give aways of Gavin's dvd's, sticks, and other small trinkets, of which my buddy and I won none. :( Then it was time for Gavin.

Gavin came in and introduced himself, and played along with a couple of Porcupine Tree songs. They had cameras above him, and on his feet, that they projected on the large screen, behind and too the right of him. This was all done in a beautifully, recently remodeled church, that held about 300 people, that was filled to capacity.

Half way through, it was time for Gavin to answer questions from the crowd. I saw a few start to rise and go back to the mic location and decided to follow. Gavin did a great job answering peoples questions. He seemed like a very relaxed and friendly guy. Many of the answer's he performed on his kit, to reveal some of his magic tricks to all. He really has a firm grasp of all the time signatures, and the ability to intertwine them. Finally it was time for my question. I proceeded to tell Gavin that I had not heard of him up until drum solo week, and that I was very impressed with his playing, and was now going to pay special attention to his work. I then told him that I thought his drums sounded amazing during solo week and I wanted to know his secret. He told us about his special SQ2 kit that he had sent to California for the event. Luckily he had someone give him free storage.
They asked him what mics he wanted to use, and he told them that he preferred the Sennheiser MD421's. He played his solo, and then they asked him if he wanted to listen to the mix, and change anything. He said yes and adjusted to his liking. Wouldn't we all like to have this option when playing out somewhere. Well he did a great job on his mix. :)

After the question period he played a couple of more songs from his solo material, and one from his new solo project that had never been played live before. It was a Jazz piece that he played with great feel, and it ebbed and flowed beautifully. It was my favorite piece of the night.

At the end of his clinic, he was thanked and it was time for more giveaways. The prizes were bigger now, cymbal, lower level Sonor snare, but unfortunately the same outcome for my buddy and I . Oh well.

Out in the foyer Gavin signed autographs for people. As the hord funneled through, I being the shy guy that I am asked the the gentleman in charge if we could have photos taken with Gavin. He reluctantly agreed, and I opened a can of worms. Everyone pulled out there iphones and other photo devices to get a photo taken with Gavin. While he was signing his Sonor picture for me, I slipped around the table to get in place for my picture. I tapped him on the arm, and told him he did a great job, then I took the opportunity to ask him if he listens to Neil Peart at all. He looked at me and just said No. He told me he had not listened to RUSH until he was in his 40's, and that it was not his kind of music. Crushed! :( Oh well, at least he was honest.

It was a great night out listening to a nice guy, play some great drumming. For those of you wondering how much to practice, Gavin told us that he plays everyday, two times a day for several hours. He said he lives drums, but he would not want to be doing anything else. It pretty much fills his life. Thanks for reading. Hope you enjoyed. Glen.
IMG_3065.jpg

IMG_3072.jpg

IMG_3071.jpg

IMG_3068.jpg

IMG_3076.jpg

IMG_3074.jpg

IMG_3075.jpg

Sounds like you had a great night Glen. Gavin is a great down to earth guy who just happens to be a superb world class drummer :) It goes without saying, the huge amount of work that goes into being as good as Gavin is.

You just had to ask him about NP, you fanboy you! I'm surprised you didn't try to "turn" him to Saturns too ;) ;)

Sounds like you had a great night Glen. Gavin is a great down to earth guy who just happens to be a superb world class drummer :) It goes without saying, the huge amount of work that goes into being as good as Gavin is.

You just had to ask him about NP, you fanboy you! ;) ;)

When I heard his drum solo in solo week and then again last night, I hear many similarities between the two of them. Gavin had a number last night that sounded so much like what Neil does at the end of his solos with the fake horns and the jazz arrangement. I was hoping for a connection. Maybe the only connection is that they are both great drummers, that like to use cool time signatures.

When I heard his drum solo in solo week and then again last night, I hear many similarities between the two of them. Gavin had a number last night that sounded so much like what Neil does at the end of his solos with the fake horns and the jazz arrangement. I was hoping for a connection. Maybe the only connection is that they are both great drummers, that like to use cool time signatures.

Now that you have been crushed to the depths of your soul, I feel some responsibility to let you know that there is a connection between the two bands, at least. Alex plays the open solo on Anesthetize.

Now that you have been crushed to the depths of your soul, I feel some responsibility to let you know that there is a connection between the two bands, at least. Alex plays the open solo on Anesthetize.
Thanks. I feel so much better now. :)

Four comments on one of the greatest drummers out there right now. I kind of feel like I wasted my time posting all this.

Four comments on one of the greatest drummers out there right now. I kind of feel like I wasted my time posting all this.

Maybe more people would find your message if it would've been posted in Gavin's sticky?

A good read nonetheless, I hope I'll get to meet Gavin some day. And what a beautiful finish on that kit!

Very cool, sticks. Sounds like a great time. It's great to meet a really talented artist and find out he's actually cool. I've known about Gavin for a while but I wouldn't have if not for this website.

Jim Riley, of Rascal Flatts fame, gave a master class at my local shop a few months ago and I was one of a few drummers who took a private lesson with him. Jim is a terrific player whose musical abilities are diverse but he's also a down-to-earth, really nice guy. It was surprisingly educational and I had a lot to take away from it.

Back