Hello! (new here) and help!

Would anyone care to hear my opinion on the subject? =)

Buying great cymbals first could be the only thing that's unanimously agreed upon around here lol.

Yea, that's what you'd think, until you get attacked for saying that should be the case when we're freaking talking about buying a SECOND drum set before decent cymbals!

Yea, that's what you'd think, until you get attacked for saying that should be the case when we're freaking talking about buying a SECOND drum set before decent cymbals!

Lights match-waiting for explosion. I'm still ROFL. Doc you just posted on the wrong thread-here you would be heralded a hero.

As a total beginner, I vote for better cymbals, too!

I got a low end drumset to sound decent with better heads (fairly cheap) and a bit of tuning. Gross cymbals remain gross, while good cymbals can be moved to the next kit if and when it's time to upgrade, or sold off if the sound isn't quite right.

I agree with all that's been said here. I played on crappy cymbals for way too long. When I was a teenager, I was able to make my crappy drum set sound pretty darn good with precise tuning and good heads. But you can't do anything about the sound of cheap cymbals.

However, I will say that what's "cheap" nowadays is far better than the crap they were slinging 20 years ago. I have a couple Paiste PST 7 crashes that sound great.

Just an FYI: I think the best budget snare drums are piccolo snares, specifically the standard Pearl one. That was my first snare "upgrade" back in high school and it made a huge difference over the stock snare that came with my set. You obviously won't get a lot of resonance or warmth, but it provides a great crack that cuts through anything.

One last thing I would suggest is the Musicians Friend platinum card. They've got ridiculously long zero-interest periods (as long as 48 months for some gear). That's how I upgraded my kit and I paid it off for $40 bucks a month over two years. I've made subsequent purchases of a new snare and recording equipment, too. I plan on buying a pair of Paiste 2002 hi-hats soon. I'll probably always be paying $40 a month on that credit card. But hey...no interest!

Also, check Craigslist for deals.

Back