Max Roach: A Great Drummer Looks Back at Influences (1958)

Scott K Fish

Silver Member
Max Roach: A Great Drummer Looks Back at Influences (1958)

SKF NOTE: One of my favorite Down Beat issues. DB Editor Don Gold includes several Max Roach insights on great jazz musicians like Thelonious Monk, Kenny Clarke, and Miles Davis. Max was 33-years old at the time. The cover art is by Peter Gourfain.

The underscored parts are mine, probably for research in preparation for my interview with Max or for some other drum article. I also underscore notable passages in books.

Finally, the Max Roach Zildjian and Gretsch ads are included in this Down Beat too.

582003_max_roach_db_intv.jpg

582003_max_roach_db_intv_0003.jpg

Scott K Fish Blog: Life Beyond the Cymbals Click Here to Read Full Interview

That is a GREAT interview. I've never seen that one before. Love reading what Max has to say. He was very professorial, very thoughtful, which made for great reading, because he could easily convey his thoughts. I love the fact it was conducted during that time period. I always think I would have been happiest if I'd been born earlier so I could have been around during that scene.

It's funny how Max refers to, in addition to playing jazz, the possibility of playing 'legitimate' shows, too. As great as those cats were, the music was still fighting for respect back then.

Very interesting, thanks for posting this!

Roach was close to Miles Davis in the early days, and a lot of funny anecdotes can be found in his book: 'Miles, the Autobiography' (1990), including some incredible stories involving Bird, Roach, Coltrane, Williams, etc (practically all of the pioneers of jazz Miles has worked with...)

The book is a fantastic read, you really get to know him personally.

Back