Superstitious Minds

JustJames

Platinum Member
My band is playing a gig this weekend. It's a sufficiently infrequent event that I'm pretty stoked about it. And my little treat to myself, because I do it every time* we play out, is a new pair of sticks. (In 2 years or so of playing, I have yet to break a stick, although I have one pair that is pretty emaciated.)

What are your performance-related foibles and superstitions.

*OK, OK, both times!

Not sure of this counts but I did oncr forget to bring my kit to a gig, so now I always make sure I remember to bring it. Not sure if this is a foible or just plain idiocy on my part*

*it's the second one.

I can't imagine many things less conducive than playing a gig with a brand new pair of sticks - what if they don't know any of the songs??

As for my foibles ... too many to mention. My entire life is a series of foibles.

Enjoy the gig, James dahling. I'll be there in spirit!

Not sure if this qualifies as a superstition, but I never buy only one pair of sticks. What if you drop one? Then you reach for an older one and now they feel mismatched. For me, they can both be old and chewed up, or they can both be new, but one of each and next thing I know I'm surrounded by black cats and buzzards are circling overhead.

Have a great show, man.

If I am really looking forward to a gig....I try not to do that anymore. It's like it jinxes the good time I think is going to happen. So I try not to project. I still get excited, but I try and dismiss the feeling.

So far so good.

I only wear black! In classic rock cover band that seems to fit.

Its bad luck to wait until after the gig to get paid...get at least 50% up front. ; )

Not really a superstition, but along the lines of hoping things go right...

I only started gigging frequently within the last year and a half. I quickly remembered that going into a gig, go in expecting and waiting for something to go wrong. Something always goes wrong. Whether it is the bass player forgetting his strap, guitarist forgetting a pick, etc... Prepare as much as possible, I always bring extra heads, snare wires, drum keys, screw driver, etc. Something is going to go wrong so I go into the show knowing that and being as prepared as possible for when it goes wrong. It is about minimizing the problems, because they will never be eliminated.

I still get excited, but I try and dismiss the feeling.

lol, many women on the board might recognize this as an excellent example of male denial. FWIW I do the same, try to appear cool, appear unexcited, but its a total facade.

My superstition is to set aside a pair of sticks used only for gigs.

Back