Black is the new Black- Jenkins-Martin/Blaemire drums

Drumjinx

Here is the latest Jenkins-Martin kit I finished this weekend.
Satin Black finish with White inside.
This kit was built for my number one side kick and top shell sander...Greg Mendoza (Mendozart).
I will let him chime in and tell you about the color selection and sizes.
This kit and a Sky Blue one are slated for a photo shoot this weekend. I will post more pics then.
I am starting two new kits that we think will really make a statement.

And for the squeamish...there is a piece of cardboard under the bass drum
;)

Black%20J-M%20008.JPG

Black%20J-M%20007.JPG

Black%20J-M%20010.JPG

Black%20J-M%20009.1.JPG

Very nice. I like the understated black finish. Not a fan of painted finish to the inside of the shells, but the contrast does look good on the bass drum hoops. Very smart - very crisp :) Dunnett spurs are a nice touch too.

Very nice. I like the understated black finish. Not a fan of painted finish to the inside of the shells, but the contrast does look good on the bass drum hoops. Very smart - very crisp :) Dunnett spurs are a nice touch too.
Thanks for the nice comments.
The white is not paint. It is colored resin just like the black. First we wind the white then the black. We do other colors of course. This one was done to the customers color choices.

Very nice looking kit you have there. I like that satin black you used. The only criticism, if I may, the look would be more classic (and fit the look of the kit better) if the bass reso was white. Now that would look sharp! But, that's just me.

Kudos.

Thanks for the nice comments.
The white is not paint. It is colored resin just like the black. First we wind the white then the black. We do other colors of course. This one was done to the customers color choices.
Ah, OK, I apologise. Of course, I don't have the benefit of seeing them in the flesh. Still think they're a crisp looking set :)

Very nice looking kit you have there. I like that satin black you used. The only criticism, if I may, the look would be more classic (and fit the look of the kit better) if the bass reso was white. Now that would look sharp! But, that's just me.

Kudos.
I agree
It will end up with a white coated head and logo for the customer. We are doing a photo shot on Sunday and there will be a white head as well as the clear head.
The clear really is just show the interior.

Love your drums man. How many miles of thread does it take to make a 24" bass drum? I'm guessing 5.

. Not a fan of painted finish to the inside of the shells, but the contrast does look good on the bass drum hoops.

As Jerry explained, it's not painted, but a dual-color spun shell. I had reasons for the white interiors..........

This kit has many special meanings to me.

First of all, I got to build this kit with my dear friend Jerry. We built my first original Blaemire kit together, which was a great experience in itself. There is alot of labor that goes into building a Jenkins-Martin kit, with the sanding being the most laborious part. The prideful feeling you have, after seeing it all done, is immeasureable.

I came up with the color and sizes for a few reasons. When I saw the first Black shell that Dave spun-up, I knew that would be what I wanted. Plus when I saw that Dave could spin a different color on the inside of the shell, this was just too cool. I also wanted something completely opposite of my white Blaemire kit.

I wanted this to be an all around kit, that I could use in many gig situations. I've always been a 24" bass drum player, but because I'm not very tall, the 22" brings everything down to a more comfortable level. Plus, the J-M 22's are killer! I love playing two-up, and have always liked having a bigger 2nd tom, so I went 7.5x12, 8.5x14, again with the ability to fly the toms lower. The floor is 14x16, which I wanted to differ from my 16x16 original Blaemire floor. Bass drum is 15x22. I went with 6x14 on the snare, to give me something inbetween, depth wise.

The color of black, with white interiors, also has a special meaning to me. My very first drum kit that my Father bought for me, was a Ludwig Black Panther, with white interiors. This kit is a culmination of my personal drumming journey, which has now come full-circle.

I want to thank Jerry and Dave for reviving the Blaemire drum/sound, and taking it to a whole other level. Bravo!

The pic is of my very first kit.

Attachments

• 6057831091_7ff0499d23_z.jpg
    6057831091_7ff0499d23_z.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 388
Last edited:
Wow Greg, great story. I love the tone of these drums. Very impressive. Much respect indeed to Jerry for reviving the Blaemire shell.

HeysoosCreespos! That is one gorgeous kit! And I know it must sound as good as it looks. Greg, you're one lucky guy to have these drums, but sounds like you've really worked over the years to earn it! I wish you many happy hours playing it.

I agree
It will end up with a white coated head and logo for the customer. We are doing a photo shot on Sunday and there will be a white head as well as the clear head.
The clear really is just show the interior.

Ah, ha, gotcha! In that case, good call on the clear reso head on the front of the bass.

As Jerry explained, it's not painted, but a dual-color spun shell. I had reasons for the white interiors..........

This kit has many special meanings to me.

First of all, I got to build this kit with my dear friend Jerry. We built my first original Blaemire kit together, which was a great experience in itself. There is alot of labor that goes into building a Jenkins-Martin kit, with the sanding being the most laborious part. The prideful feeling you have, after seeing it all done, is immeasureable.

I came up with the color and sizes for a few reasons. When I saw the first Black shell that Dave spun-up, I knew that would be what I wanted. Plus when I saw that Dave could spin a different color on the inside of the shell, this was just too cool. I also wanted something completely opposite of my white Blaemire kit.

I wanted this to be an all around kit, that I could use in many gig situations. I've always been a 24" bass drum player, but because I'm not very tall, the 22" brings everything down to a more comfortable level. Plus, the J-M 22's are killer! I love playing two-up, and have always liked having a bigger 2nd tom, so I went 8x12, 8.5x14, again with the ability to fly the toms lower. The floor is 14x16, which I wanted to differ from my 16x16 original Blaemire floor. Bass drum is 16x22. I was going to go 15" on the bass drum depth, but 16 was just too good to pass up. I went with 6x14 on the snare, to give me something inbetween, depth wise.

The color of black, with white interiors, also has a special meaning to me. My very first drum kit that my Father bought for me, was a Ludwig Black Panther, with white interiors. This kit is a culmination of my personal drumming journey, which has now come full-circle.

I want to thank Jerry and Dave for reviving the Blaemire drum/sound, and taking it to a whole other level. Bravo!

The pic is of my very first kit.

Looks like your first kit belongs in the "TOM ANGLES" thread ;-) seriously the J/M's are looking really nice, both black and blue.

Attachments

• 6057831091_7ff0499d23_z.jpg
    6057831091_7ff0499d23_z.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 392
Back