Aquarian Jack dejohnette heads

Muckster

Platinum Member
Anyone have any experience with the Aquarian Jack Dejohnette heads?

I have been using the Jack DeJohnette heads for about 2 years. I love them! They have a very warm sound to them and are very easy to tune.

DRY! Dry! Dry!

Take a texture coated and put a moon gel on it and you have the starting point of this head. Pronounced mids and lows and not much ring or sustain. They sound good if you like the sound. I find them a bit dead.

I've used them only on a couple of snares.

I don't feel they are a dry as they are warm ('attenuated'...perhaps?). When I think dry I think of a head like the Evans ST Dry or any 'vented' head. Personally, those are too dry for me on any drum.

I put one on a Pearl 6.5 x 14 steel snare (not mine) a few years ago and it did wonders for what was a bit of a clangy drum. The drum sounded good before the head (even though I don't care for steel shell drums) but hit the sweet spot with the Aquarian JDJ head.

I know I wouldn't be as comfortable putting it on any wood drum, maple, birch or especially a 'Luan' wood drum.

So, IMHO, a good head for the right drum especially if you want to tame a metal beast of a snare.

Jim

Thanks for the comments. I'm looking for a dry sounding head. This might works since i do have a clangy snare to tame.

I put one on my snare yesterday. My initial response is WOW what a nice sound. Like a previous poster said a nice warm sound with good mid range and still a nice pop when needed. So far so good.

How durable are they, how long do they last, do stick marks get out of hand?
I’m looking into these for my kit.

Personally stick marks aren't a concern of mine so i can't report on that. I do know that the JDJ heads mirror the other Aquarian heads when it comes to coating wearing off - i.e. the coating lasts the longest of all the different brands of heads I've used.

Back