DW 5000

Nealio1987

These seem like the best all round pedals from DW ,The 900's seemed to fast and the 4000's seemed slow .... anyone got a set of 5000's ?

These seem like the best all round pedals from DW ,The 900's seemed to fast and the 4000's seemed slow .... anyone got a set of 5000's ?

I have two 5000s and I have been playing a 5000 since 1995. Really, it is the cockroach of pedals - perfected long ago, impossible to improve upon, hard to kill, wonderfully effective and it will be around long after the others have disappeared.

I have two 5000s and I have been playing a 5000 since 1995. Really, it is the cockroach of pedals - perfected long ago, impossible to improve upon, hard to kill, wonderfully effective and it will be around long after the others have disappeared.

Yeah but DW can't leave well enough alone.They are changing the Cams. Do a search on the net for 5002 AD4.

Ive used the 9000s and the 5000s, the 5000s were heavy and powerful things, to me like a smoother iron cobra with a little more weight behind them. The 9000s were like the 5000s when i first started to mess around with them, and then i eventually ended up setting them so they were very light and fluttery. The 9000s seem like they have potential to go fast, i just dont see it happening (for me at least) without a modified technique simply because of how smooth it is. I prefer the 5000s simply because they are fast, smooth, and powerful, plus a lot cheaper. So for overall the 5000s, for technical/ blazing fast stuff the 9000s.

My DW 5000's are the single chain delta model from the early 90's. I only play them because I got given them for free, and I've never been a massive double kick player, so I've never felt the need to replace them, until now. The bearings in the slave are shot. The latency and lack of feel in the slave is unreal, to the point where I struggle to play it well. The master pedal is fine and I'll probably continue to use it as a single and bin the slave. Don't think I'll bother getting another 5000, I've played a friends and I much prefer the Speed Cobra to it..

I've never understood how a pedal can be too fast?? I played 5000's for 20 some odd years, got a 9000 and to me that's best pedal dw has offered. Smooth, and super adjustable. I've got it fine tuned it to my playing style.

i have 2 5000s and 2 5002s. I have been p,aying them over 20 years and they still feel and play great

I restarted (after a 20 yr break) on a DW9000. It's been about 2 years now. I also picked up a used DW5000. These are great pedals to buy used because they so rugged and tough.

First off, the DW9000 is way overengineered. I mean you can't even get to the spring unless you're on your hands and knees. Then the spring is on the inside of the post. I will say this though, with 2 rotating pivot points at both ends of the spring, it is fricken liquidy fast and smoooooooooth. When I get on my DW5000, I don't quite have the smoothness or response as the DW9000. That being said, it's not so much the pedal as it is the drummer. I've seen some drummers shred with crappy pedals.

It all really depends on what you're comfortable with, especially if you've been on the same pedal for years.

I was looking for a double pedal and it was neither the DW9000 or DW5000. I went with the Trick for durability and other features. It's been about 3 months, and can almost duplicate my DW9000 tricks. Again, a personal preference to what we are most comfortable with.

Hello to everyone! I have a DW 5000 double pedal and I'm waiting for the direct link upgrade of Stompdrive... have you got or tested their product?
Look to the web it's very interesting :D www.stompdrive.com

Hello to everyone! I have a DW 5000 double pedal and I'm waiting for the direct link upgrade of Stompdrive... have you got or tested their product?
Look to the web it's very interesting :D www.stompdrive.com

Not sure anyone read your question... The stomps look really cool, but I do not think the 5000 linkage is available to date. I have done some mods on my pedals to upgrade the feel. Moved the pedal back and increased the angle of the chain. One the stops are available I will give them a shot.

Buddy Rich used to play with some crappy drum pedals, and look what he did with them !! He was super-fast and smooth.

I have a 5000. Like the power but would occasionally like more speed. I don't play anything extremely fast though.

I traded off 4 octabans (short) on 2 stands for a pair of DW 5000 pedals to one of the many drummers from Roxxgang in 1990 and I'm still playing them. Only one of the chains broke. They replaced a pair of pearl P880 pedals that came w/ my "Tommy Lee" clone kit,,,Pearl MX series.
Before I bought a new kit in 87, I was using TAMA's kingbeat pedal,,,,,it's like a tank,,,,but it was the 1st good one I ever had , before that I had a slingerland from maybe 1970....lol

While I've not extensively played on or toyed with the DW 9000s and thus can't accurately compare then, I believe that the 5000s are some of the best pedals on the market. They are durable, smooth, well weighted, and sensitive to what I'm playing.

The only pedal I would probably take over a 5000 is Pearl's Demon Drive simply because I love the feel of a direct drive and how well the DD translates what I'd like to do, and what my foot is doing to the bass drum.

I am looking to purchase my first DW5000 double bass drum pedal. I have never used double pedals. I play in an 18-piece jazz/swing band that doesn't require constant or heavy playing, but the music does offer occasional 2-4 bar solos that I feel would be more easily played with a double pedal.

DW5000 pedals are now offered in the AD4 model which offers some improved features (so says DW) over their previous pedals. If I decide to purchase the AD4, are the improvements worth the price and do they offer that much difference over the previous models?

DW's 5000 series used to offer chain models, strap models, accelerator vs. delta turbos and each pedal seems to differ slightly.

So, that being the case, which pedal might work the best? I spotted a strap model for sale for around $200, but most of the DW5000 I have seen are of the chain variety. How does the strap model compare with the chain pedal?

So....you guys are the experts. Which pedal would you choose?

Thanks,

Barry

I am looking to purchase my first DW5000 double bass drum pedal. I have never used double pedals. I play in an 18-piece jazz/swing band that doesn't require constant or heavy playing, but the music does offer occasional 2-4 bar solos that I feel would be more easily played with a double pedal.

DW5000 pedals are now offered in the AD4 model which offers some improved features (so says DW) over their previous pedals. If I decide to purchase the AD4, are the improvements worth the price and do they offer that much difference over the previous models?

DW's 5000 series used to offer chain models, strap models, accelerator vs. delta turbos and each pedal seems to differ slightly.

So, that being the case, which pedal might work the best? I spotted a strap model for sale for around $200, but most of the DW5000 I have seen are of the chain variety. How does the strap model compare with the chain pedal?

So....you guys are the experts. Which pedal would you choose?

Thanks,

Barry

I swear by strap drive pedals myself. Some drummers say you can't get the power that you have with a chain drive, by using a strap. But I think it's completely the opposite. A strap offers much less resistance, and contributes to a lighter and faster motion. I just feel like a strap drive is smoother and much quicker. Less weight means the pedal returns to your foot faster, and that's always a good thing.

I have a friend who plays DW 5000 pedals religiously. Like myself, he prefers a strap drive pedal, but the DW5000 is his exception. He owns one of the older models, that came out in the late 90s I think. (I'm no DW expert, so don't heckle me if I'm wrong.) But I know he's had it for a while - and he's had everything short of a DW 9000, and he's always come back to the old 5000 pedal.

So all in all, if you can get a DW 5000 either way, I think you'll be happy. But if you can get your hands on a strap drive? I think you'll have your perfect pedals.

Last edited:
I've always used 5000's my newest is a 5002 I had a drummer set in on my kit & switch the pedal out for a Iron Cobra which are nice pedals also but the reason is he couldn't. play the immigrant song with the 5002?...I told him I could play that with a speed king which is what Bonham used anyway..lol....to each his or her own...I like my dw 5000's..lol

keep swattin'
Bonzolead

I've never understood how a pedal can be too fast??

At this rehearsal space I went to for a few months there was a Sonor pedal (if I remember correctly) that was just super light and super fast, no matter how I tried to set it up. Personally I thought the feel was horrible, it's like playing with sticks that are way too thin.

I ended up swapping it with a cheap no name brand pedal that was a lot more heavy and it felt way better.
I'm a big guy with big feet and I play heel up and bury the beater, and I don't play any super fast heel toe double bass stuff anyway, so that's what works for me

I've gone through just about every generation of DW5000 over the years, from the very early single-chain with the non-eccentric (now "Turbo") cam, through the single-chain Accelerators, double-row-chain Accelerators, to the strap drive models. My original '80s pedals are still going strong, but I've also settled on the strap drives, just recently- much to my surprise.

The cam on the strap drives is really quite severely eccentric, and you get a huge acceleration at the end of the stroke with them- and for some perverse reason, my feet seem to like that. I went into it prepared to hate them after so many years of playing the original non-eccentric version. Who knew? I don't see myself going back the the originals. But somehow I can't bring myself to sell them, either... (;-)

The lightness of the strap drive, especially when compared to the double row chain pedals, is pretty noticeable- and that cam really has a major effect on the feel. You just can never tell until you play them. Everyone's needs are different, but I would certainly be the poorer had I not tried them all...

They are also very easily serviceable, and replacement bearings are cheap and easy to come by (see here: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1038959&postcount=9 ). I've played nothing else since I retired my Calato when they first came out. Sooner or later I'll have to try something completely different, just for the experience- but my feet are pretty happy with what I've got now.

Back