Best "budget" cymbals for theatre?

Stephen Day

Alright guys,

I'm looking to purchase a cymbal pack that I could use for: musical theatre, some sessions, and live music. The catch is that I only have £700 and I would like to keep the cost down due to being a student.

So far I have looked at:
Zildjian A391 - £695
Zildjian S - £350
Istanbul Agop Xist set: £450

I've also looked around at some second-hand cymbals, however there is a minimal selection for anything pro-level around my location.

Any opinions and suggestions are welcome.

Cheers

I'd go for either the Zildian A391 pack or the Istanbul Agop Xist pack. Both sound really good, and both sound better than the zildjian s series. It's up to you to find which ones you think sound the best, but both sets are pretty versatile.

I agree with the Sabain XS20 or XSR series being the best inexpensive cymbals. Peace and goodwill.

I don't have them myself, but a lot of people have said that Paiste PST7s are "90% of the sound of 2002s for half the cost."

You may want to consider them.

I agree with Mongrel and would also recommend checking out the Paiste PST7 series. Paiste is doing the "pretty close to a 2002" thing with an "intermediate" price point again like they did with the 505s back in the day. The series has three different weights: Light, Medium and Heavy so there's versatility there. I played a 18" Medium Crash in the store and loved it.

I agree with Mongrel and would also recommend checking out the Paiste PST7 series. Paiste is doing the "pretty close to a 2002" thing with an "intermediate" price point again like they did with the 505s back in the day. The series has three different weights: Light, Medium and Heavy so there's versatility there. I played a 18" Medium Crash in the store and loved it.

Paiste has a new 900 series that looks interesting.
Their PST 7 series makes me go meh.
Not even in the same ballpark as the XSR.

Alright guys,

I'm looking to purchase a cymbal pack that I could use for: musical theatre, some sessions, and live music. The catch is that I only have £700 and I would like to keep the cost down due to being a student.

So far I have looked at:
Zildjian A391 - £695
Zildjian S - £350
Istanbul Agop Xist set: £450

I've also looked around at some second-hand cymbals, however there is a minimal selection for anything pro-level around my location.

Any opinions and suggestions are welcome.

Cheers

Cannot comment on the Zildjians but I have a set of the Agop Xists and have been super happy with them. Excellent sound quality all round but the 20" ride and 18" crash are real stand outs for me. Great definition from the Ride without being overly pingy and lovely decay from the crash.

Plus they are made in Turkey by gnarly dudes, albeit with part of the hammering completed on machine. Sound is king but there is something I find cool about having "Made In Turkey" on my cymbals.

Plus they are made in Turkey by gnarly dudes, albeit with part of the hammering completed on machine. Sound is king but there is something I find cool about having "Made In Turkey" on my cymbals.

Yup, IMO the best budget cymbals are all the cheapo Turkish-made B20 OEM brand pies out there. You might get a lemon, I dunno, but from my personal experience, the budget series from the "big 4" don't start to compare, not even the pretty allright Sabian XS20/XSR. Paiste fans might see it differently as they have different sound ideals, the way I see it!

Yup, IMO the best budget cymbals are all the cheapo Turkish-made B20 OEM brand pies out there. You might get a lemon, I dunno, but from my personal experience, the budget series from the "big 4" don't start to compare, not even the pretty allright Sabian XS20/XSR. Paiste fans might see it differently as they have different sound ideals, the way I see it!

I've played the 7's ,the crashes and hi hats are usable ,their rides are weak and thin sounding.

Lots to choose from but I suggest you buy used. I have purchased two cymbals from ebay but I am suppose it may be easier where I live to have them shipped across the country.

Back