Nathan Followill

certainly a great drummer. i love the way he isnt afraid to play different beats. he never seems to play the classic snare on the 2 and 4 beats. a lot of popular music seems to stick to that. but its still not over complicated and full of big fills, plays for the song.

and that is a lovely kit. makes me wonder if he would be better of with a rack. a whole cymbal stand for a tambourine? but then it looks cooler with the stands so good call i say.

So I have been trying to find Nathan Followill's drum set up and this is the closest I have come to figuring it out. I suspect he is not endorsed because search engine queries bring me here and no manufacturer "artist page"

From what I can tell he is playing either a DW Collectors kit or a Yamaha Maple Custom. To me it looks like a sweet DW.

I have been finding the kits that my favorite drummers/sounds play. This is one of them, but I think I will go w/ a Maple Custom Nouveau.

Vladimir

The DW Website shows him as a DW endorser, and it shows his kit being 22-13-16-18, but ....he's playing Birch Collectors!

Nathan is also the newest endorser of drumplates (www.drumplates.com) and although the plates are not included on the pictures my understanding is that he will be using drumplates from now on. If you are unfamiliar with drumplates, check out the web site. Plates are a great new product and will, I beleive, become industry standard in the next five years.

By way of disclosure, please note that I represent drumplates!!!!

Paul

Nathan Followill's set-up

All by Paiste:

14" Signature Reflector Heavy Full Hi-Hat
22" Signature Reflector Heavy Full Crash
8" Signature Splash
24" 2002 Crash
22" Signature Power Ride
19" Signature Power Crash
14" Signature Fast Crash

Old Kit from 2007:

DW Collector's Birch Drums (custom Pink & Blue Lacquer Specialty and Chrome Hardware):

05x14 Aluminum Snare
10x13 Tom
14x16 Tom
18x18 Tom
18x22 Bass Drum

Pedals and Hardware (DW):

9000 Single Pedal
9500 Hi-Hat Stand
5300 Snare Drum Stand
9799 Double-Tom/Cymbal Stand
9700 Cymbal Stand (x3)

I don't know exactly his setup right now, but here's a good picture to get an idea from:

followill_nathan_kit.jpg

Last edited:
sounds great on a recording, but when you see them in a 'live' clip, that cymbal dissapears...it's almost too big is some settings..........

Nathan Followill embodies the one major part of drumming that I am the most lacking in..............creativity. I envy him so much because of it. While it is easy to practice rudiments or fills until you've got them down, it is not so easy to practice being creative. I love Nathan's drumming and his unconventional approach to the instrument(s). It inspires my playing every time I hear it.

Nathan Followill embodies the one major part of drumming that I am the most lacking in..............creativity. I envy him so much because of it. While it is easy to practice rudiments or fills until you've got them down, it is not so easy to practice being creative. I love Nathan's drumming and his unconventional approach to the instrument(s). It inspires my playing every time I hear it.

This is a realy good post!!! VERY TRUE!! People forget the creativity portion of things. You hear, ..."man, that dude has chops" ....well, sometime the reaction to that comment is ..."SO??" Ya know what I mean??

Good post and very true, ....in "Use Somebody" ....that fill before the chorus is an odd one isn't it ?? But ...still cool! :D

Why he plays zildjian cymbals in the "Pyro" video?

Just saw the "Back Down South" video and there he's playing Zildjian aswell.
It has a shot with the bottom of of the cymbal and brand clearly displayed. In the "Pyro" video you kinda have to look for it.

It might not be that big a deal, but if your on the Paiste roster why not put some Paiste cymbals up for your video. Now the Zildjian name is clearly showing and im gonna buy some more Zildjian cymbals for that ^^

Think he's also playing Ludwig and Remo compared to DW and Evans but those names arent clearly displayed.

*edit LOL just saw them play Rock am Ring and Nathan is playing Zildjian :p gues he switched explains alot and makes this post invalid
also playing Remo btw so gues he's following all his endorsements in video's

Last edited:
I like this drummer a lot actually. Definatlly not the first dude you think of when talking about awesome drummers. But he kind of reminds me of my own play style. I'm not the fastest or most technical drummer by any means. But I feel like I write interesting parts and have good feel. This guys is just a solid in the pocket drummer. Which I like more then the flashy technical stuff.

I personally love his drumming.
He plays Zildjian now I'm pretty sure because on "Pyro", "Back Down South" and on VH storytellers he uses them. I got this from a website.

"Nathan's new Zildjian setup includes:
15" A Zildjian New Beat HiHats
8" A Custom Splash
20" A Custom Crash
20" K Light Flat Ride
24" A Zildjian Medium Ride
24" K Light Ride"

I think he uses those ride cymbals to crash on, he does quite a bit of crash riding (eg: Use Somebody), I would have thought it was bad to crash ride cymbals so much.

I watched VH storytellers and I don't know if the mix wasn't don't properly or something but the Zildjian's sound so weak compared to his old 2002's

Loffler

Nathan Followill, has always been one of my favorite rock drummers. When I first started playing drums 11 years ago I'd listen to him and his parts were challenging. Even now, a lot of the beats are still fun and when you watch him play you can see that he has great technique. I made a video dedicated to his great playing and it showcases the best drum parts in Kings of Leon songs.

https://youtu.be/66k4an6wYP8

Back