Head Choice for Pearl Reference kit

richkenyon

Silver Member
I have just got a Pearl Reference kit comprising 22" (20" deep!) BD, 12" TT , 14 & 16" FTs. It needs new heads on the toms & I had some Evans G1 Coated heads in the right sizes for the toms so gave them a quick tune up. It's not the right option - I want more of a rock sound.

Any Reference owners out there can offer advice? I did notice the 14 FT had the longest sustain of any drum I have ever played, so I will need to control them. Thinking Clear G2s or Remo Pinstripes on the FTs. G2 for the 12" TT.

I am not an owner of a Pearl reference kit, but in my opinion, you can't really go wrong with 2 ply over 1 ply. I use clear emperors over clear ambassadors on my Sonor 3007 (maple) and it's just the perfect blend of attack and tone.

For the most part when I played Reference drums the toms were equipped with Evans G2 clear over G1 clear heads. The drums didn't sound too bad for what the are. I never personally owned a Pearl Reference set of drums to be able to experiment with, but it seems as if any two ply over one ply combination would work well for a rock type sound.

Dennis.

EVANS EMAD ON BATTER, EVANS G2 OR G1 ON FRONT for kick
REMO COATED EMPEROR ON TOP, CLEAR AMBASSADOR UNDER for toms
EVANS GENERA DRY BATTER, EVANS HAZY 300 SIDE for snare

It's great for Rock and all other kinds, I love the sound it produces on my Pearl EXR Series kit, tho it's not a Reference kit but it's still Pearl! 2-ply produce the sound you'll want, I doubled check with a friend of mine who's played drums longer than I have

Thanks.... I have clear G2 batter / G1 resonant heads on my Yamaha Maple Customs & they too are thick shells. It's a great combination. I was curious about the Pinstripes I guess. I read on here a Reference owner that warned against them.

Thanks.... I have clear G2 batter / G1 resonant heads on my Yamaha Maple Customs & they too are thick shells. It's a great combination. I was curious about the Pinstripes I guess. I read on here a Reference owner that warned against them.

I had pinstripes on my Pearl awhile ago, but I always found that it sounded dead, or that it was just a defect. On my 12" it kinda looked off on the bottom right and right side lug, more like flabby'ish so idk that was my experience with it, not too fond of it..

To richkenyon
We have been experimenting with an idea that may work very well with your Pearl Reference kit. We now have 3 different thicknesses of single ply heads. The G1 (10 mil), the G plus (12mil) and the G14 (14 mil). The idea is to do graduated thicknesses going thinnest to thickest from smallest to biggest toms. I would do G1 on the 12", G plus on the 14" and G14 on the 16". I think it would achieve maximum tone and would match the philosophy behind the reference kits. Good luck and happy tuning!

I have a Masters kit and right now I have EC2 clears on top, and Genera Resonants on bottom. The combo is pretty good and still sounds fairly open even with the EC2's. I have an EQ3 on the bass with the standard Powerstroke Reso with the Pearl logo.

I think next time I would go with coated. I may experiment a bit too, but this combo is pretty good for the rock music I play. I'm more of a jazz/rock drummer though, so if you like to gorilla pound maybe a set of Vintage Emperors would be good for your toms.

Also you never specified whether this kit is a maple or a birch.

I was curious about the Pinstripes I guess. I read on here a Reference owner that warned against them.

I have a strong dislike for Pinstripes. I have tried them on several different drum sets. Each time the Pinstripes deadened whatever tone there was coming from the shell. Replaced the original head, the tones came back. The only thing I have found they are good at is if you put them on your toms, with dampening rings on top of that, and maybe some moon gels or duct tape too - and you are going for a 70s whomp from your toms.

I have only tried the clears but I can only imagine the coated would be worse in the 'deadness' department. Evans does a much better job at dampening heads with their SST technology, and Aquarian also has a good line called the Studio-X which spanks the Remos BIG time.

I like the Remo Vintage A on my snare, and Vintage Emperors on toms if I'm looking for a warm, fat sound. Otherwise, Remos are out the window for me!

To richkenyon
We have been experimenting with an idea that may work very well with your Pearl Reference kit. We now have 3 different thicknesses of single ply heads. The G1 (10 mil), the G plus (12mil) and the G14 (14 mil). The idea is to do graduated thicknesses going thinnest to thickest from smallest to biggest toms. I would do G1 on the 12", G plus on the 14" and G14 on the 16". I think it would achieve maximum tone and would match the philosophy behind the reference kits. Good luck and happy tuning!

I really appreciate your post - very interesting. I will certainly keep that in mind, however, I read this after a visit to my local drum store! Still, the Clear G2s have got the sound I was looking for from the floor-toms. The 12" tom would benefit from a G1 as you suggested I supect.

I have a Masters kit and right now I have EC2 clears on top, and Genera Resonants on bottom. The combo is pretty good and still sounds fairly open even with the EC2's. I have an EQ3 on the bass with the standard Powerstroke Reso with the Pearl logo.

I think next time I would go with coated. I may experiment a bit too, but this combo is pretty good for the rock music I play. I'm more of a jazz/rock drummer though, so if you like to gorilla pound maybe a set of Vintage Emperors would be good for your toms.

Also you never specified whether this kit is a maple or a birch.

Thanks for that... No, I am certainly not a "gorilla" drummer!! I am a fusion guy really. With regard to the shells - it's a Reference so the shells are different. All Maple for the rack tom, but the other drums are a Maple / Mahogany mix.

JesusMySavior
Well I'm sorry I didn't catch you in time, but the G2'S will hold you over for a while. You will have a fun experiment to do next time you go to the drum shop. Happy playing!

Aquarian also has a good line called the Studio-X which spanks the Remos BIG time!

+1 on that, Studio x's over classic clears you say?...lol

285626_10150876319710001_2227310_n.jpg

Pinstripes would definately work to deaden the drums and give a fatter sound.
Personally I would recommend getting Emperors/G2's on all toms and then just muffle the floor toms if needed. It will give you a more "alive" sound; but maybe a deader Pinstripe sound is what you're looking for. It's up to you.

Holy cow, do you have 2 double pedals, or what's going on down there? haha

Right to left, double pedal, high hat and then foot pedal mounted cow bell (you can see the black cow bell, the open end is up) . I dont use it that much but I got the spare cow bell as a birthday present one time and I always hauled the extra single pedal in my gear bag just in case something happened to the double I could do I quick change. When I saw the mount/bracket for like $12 or something like that in a store one day I said what the hell plus now the spare pedal is within arms reach if I ever need it instead of in my gear bag...lol

Right to left, double pedal, high hat and then foot pedal mounted cow bell (you can see the black cow bell, the open end is up) .

Cool, so the cow bell is foot maneuvered? That's actually really rad. Terry Bozzio, anyone?

Cool, so the cow bell is foot maneuvered? That's actually really rad. Terry Bozzio, anyone?

The bracket
260188_1_879bed05a5360349cac3d0e5d7e43b51.jpg

With pedal and cow bell mounted.
CowbellPedalMnt.jpg

There is also a turret type so you can quickly switch between different things.

LP388M-2T.jpg

Sorry for hijacking the thread. We will now return you to the previous topic already in progress...lol

Back