DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-13-2018, 04:04 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: How do I tell my friend that his expensive custom handmade snare is shit?

Thereís no mystery to stave drums being ďJohnny one notes!Ē Itís much more difficult to get them to be versatile than ply. I was watching a Mike Johnston episode and he had just received a stave drum. He was very impressed with this one snare and said he doesnít usually like them, because they only ever do one thing, but the one in front of him was more like a ply or metal shell. Havenít seen him play it since though, so probably still not versatile enough.

If the band agrees they like it, itís on them.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:22 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: How do I tell my friend that his expensive custom handmade snare is shit?

Isn't it funny how sometimes "more expensive" doesn't always mean "better?"

I guess my question is, does HE like the sound of it recorded? If so, my best advice is to just let it be...as difficult as it might be.

But with that said, I get it. I totally understand what you are going through. Here's a personal example: people love the sound of a Martin D28 acoustic guitar. 90% of the time, I don't like listening to them, and I absolutely hate playing them. I think they sound like a big heavy guitar filled with gym socks. Even if the strings are new, they sound dead to me.
However, people swear by them and build their careers around them, but not me. I want to like them, but I just don't.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:25 PM
Silver Member

Yeah, in the end I'm not risking our friendship and great working relationship over very this pretty small matter.

Still nags me that I could get a better, crisper snare sound in the mix with less work, using basically any functioning snare lying around with the appropriate heads.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:26 PM

I'd just be honest. Say something along the lines of, "I know you invested a lot of time and money into that drum, but bro, it just doesn't sound good. Do you have another snare we can try?"

I had a similar thing happen on a drum build. I invested a lot of time and money building a stave drum from African Paduk. This snare drum is stunning to look at. I invested in a high end Trick 3-stage throw and everything, but the drum just doesn't sound good.

I used it a few times, and fiddled with this and that trying to get it to sound good, but it just didn't. I went back to using a DIY 10-ply Keller maple drum in 6x14 that was my first foray into building a snare - more of a finish and assembly kit than anything, but the drum always sounds great.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:10 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitalTransformation View Post
Yeah, in the end I'm not risking our friendship and great working relationship over very this pretty small matter.

Still nags me that I could get a better, crisper snare sound in the mix with less work, using basically any functioning snare lying around with the appropriate heads.
You'd better hope he doesn't read this thread!
Old 11-14-2018, 06:43 PM
Gold Member

I had a customer made stave walnut snare made.. sounded AMAZING.. then 18 months in it swelled (swole?) up and i cna't even get a head on the bastard :( on the shelf forever..
Old 11-14-2018, 06:46 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Take it and have it lathed down from the outside
Old 11-14-2018, 09:46 PM

I have 2 prime mover snares: My mahogany Gretsch 14x5.5 & my Rogers Powertone CoB 14x5.5.

I can pretty much make either of these two sound just the way I want it with some muffling or a big fat snare drum pad.

Warmer toned session? Wood.
Need that metal snap & ring...chrome over brass.

I have other snares like a steel hand hammered shell & one that's some cheap soft wood.
But the two above are really my go-to's for most work.
Old Yesterday, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
..Apart from anything else, your friend may like the sound that you have dislike..

I agree with this..

Unless this thread is started by Rick Rubin in disguise, i am not seeing why the opinion from the engineer would be more important than the opinion from the drummer in this case..

If the band likes the sound and the drummer likes the sound and less than 20% from the audience complains, i would say there is no problem for anyone..
Old Yesterday, 02:34 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitalTransformation View Post

If he is really a friend he should be open to your suggestions. If your friendship hinges on the sound of a drum he isn't much of a friend.
Old Yesterday, 02:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntersDad View Post
Take it and have it lathed down from the outside
Inside Shirley?

Silly 20 char rule.
Old Yesterday, 03:43 AM
Silver Member

If your friend loves the drum and it gives him the sounds heís looking for, leave it be. Sound is subjective and as bad as it may be, it wonít likely affect the listenersí experience.
Old Yesterday, 04:35 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadypocket View Post
...it wonít likely affect the listenersí experience.
Unless it sounds like Lars' "St. Anger" snare.
Old Yesterday, 06:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
Inside Shirley?

Silly 20 char rule.
If it swelled up then it would need to be taken down on the outside diameter. Humidity is a bitch. And don't call me Shirley.
Old Yesterday, 08:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedaclutch View Post
If it swelled up then it would need to be taken down on the outside diameter. Humidity is a bitch. And don't call me Shirley.

Ahhh!

Gotcha! I replied out of context, thinking Grunt's suggestion related to changing the tone of the sounds-like-shit snare. I didn't realise there was more than one shit snare in this thread.

As you were...
Old Yesterday, 12:09 PM

You could "accidentally" break them! Nah just kidding! Best thing would to politely tell him it's not your favorite sound and then let the other people he plays with break the news to him, if its that bad.
Old Yesterday, 01:44 PM

Just tell him for whatever reason that snare just isn't cutting it in that room. You've dialed in your sound, if the magic happens with your house snare, he'll be doing you a favor and you're not spending extra time trying to eq and mix his snare from the snare mic to overheads etc etc. Have him play a groove for a while while you record it, 2 takes with 2 or 3 different snares, bring him back in and listen. Chances are he'll say his sounds best if he knows which one it is you're listening to, but if your snare is what you really like, say "THAT's what I'm looking for", he should be ok with that. He's hired to do the session, it's a matter of putting his ego aside and giving the engineer what he wants. A wanky snare can kill a really good sounding kit and a brilliant performance.. and it really doesn't matter if the drummer thinks it's a great sounding snare if the client or engineer wants to hear something different. Best way to get a crappy sounding snare recorded is to produce your own project. :-)
Old Yesterday, 08:51 PM
Silver Member

You know your friend better than we do, so the fact that you havenít mentioned anything yet makes me think that you should let it go - especially since youíve already suggested using other drums... I personally appreciate it when people with perspective save me from myself...
Old Yesterday, 09:17 PM
Gold Member

That's a bit like telling a couple their new born kid is ugly.
Better left unsaid.
Old Today, 01:24 AM

So how was the performance? Did he play well? Was the recording a success?
Old Today, 05:58 PM

OP..........

You stated that you're doing a lot to bring the snare up in the mix and tweaking it to make it sound good. Have you thought about bringing him back into the booth a letting him hear the playback WITHOUT doing any tweaks and asking him how he thinks it sounds?

Maybe because you're doing all of these things to make the snare sound good that's the only way he's heard it sound.

By playing back what he recorded raw and him hearing it that way he may hear that the snare isn't sounding that good. If he brings up the fact it seems low in the mix and boxy as you said, that can be an opening to say maybe we try another snare to compare with his. That could be a way into the conversation without it being a "Hey your super beautiful, expensive snare sounds terrible".

Just my thought.

Good Luck
Old Today, 07:53 PM

Upload a recorded sample. It would help people understand.
Old Today, 08:45 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquadLeader View Post
You'd better hope he doesn't read this thread!
Yeah, I know right? Even without my pic and rough location, my posts make me very easy for him to identify. Luckily I know he's not a gear forum geek like the rest of us ;) Prolly gonna delete this thread after it dies, just to be safe though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post
That's a bit like telling a couple their new born kid is ugly.
Better left unsaid.
It's worse actually, since an ugly baby has a good chance of growing up to be a good looking person..!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottliver View Post
So how was the performance? Did he play well? Was the recording a success?
I shared my thoughts out of frustration while I was working to remix a track that was recorded elsewhere for a compilation. And when I played the drum stems I was like "oh yeah, there it is" (I don't know for a fact that this was the snare used, but I recognised the sound from so many previous sessions, so I'm 98% certain... The performance is faultless as always.
Old Today, 08:45 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesazoo View Post
Upload a recorded sample. It would help people understand.
I really can't. Not my property.