DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Playing

Your Playing Show us Your Playing

Old 11-09-2018, 11:42 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Sledgehammer - studio jam

Quick back story - we finished tracking the main session early, so after dinner & a few glasses of wine, Pete (producer / engineer) suggested, as everything was already set up, we jam up a live track, & he'll "fix it up" in the morning if it's worth keeping. He left us to get on with it.

All recorded in one continuous take - a one shot deal. We added BV's in the morning, & it was mixed on the back of the main session settings in minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC3x...ature=youtu.be

No click, no fixes, as you can probably tell. There's errors, but the vibe was good :)
Old 11-10-2018, 02:04 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Sledgehammer - studio jam

Love it! You guys were in the groove. A very good performance all around. Looking and sounding good Andy.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:15 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderstruck View Post
Love it! You guys were in the groove. A very good performance all around. Looking and sounding good Andy.
Thank you :) There's errors all over it, but as a jam, vibe trumps perfection every time.

Middle farm is a residential studio. As we were there in the evening anyhow, & everything was set up, it seemed a shame not to jam something up. Just wish the decision was made prior to downing 2 large glasses of Amarone!!
Old 11-10-2018, 10:56 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Envious! Powerful Andy. Great vibe, like you said. That can't happen without a good feeling drum track. The keys are really powerful. Gotta love your vocalist too. He really melted right in with you guys. And the bass player! You have a really good chemistry with this lineup.

It's great seeing you back in action. It's like it never happened. Nice work man.

Middle Farm looks so chill.

Or dope, as my son would say.

Fired Up and Middle Farm...both are dope.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:22 PM
Gold Member

You guys said it best yourselves at the tail end of the video. I concur! :)
Old 11-10-2018, 05:59 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Envious! Powerful Andy. Great vibe, like you said. That can't happen without a good feeling drum track. The keys are really powerful. Gotta love your vocalist too. He really melted right in with you guys. And the bass player! You have a really good chemistry with this lineup.

It's great seeing you back in action. It's like it never happened. Nice work man.

Middle Farm looks so chill.

Or dope, as my son would say.

Fired Up and Middle Farm...both are dope.
I think the nearest I'll ever get to dope is dopey!

Thanks Larry, it was good to bury those brain monsters :0

This now, officially (according to me), the best set of players I've ever worked with in a full band. Each brings something a notch up.

For me, star of this track is our new (ish) bassist. The whole end chorus section, but 3:34 = super tasty.

I can't wait to reveal the official track we went there to lay down. Holdup is the video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHeat View Post
You guys said it best yourselves at the tail end of the video. I concur! :)
Thank you my friend, it was indeed, wine fuelled fun!
Old 11-12-2018, 06:27 AM
Silver Member

That was groovin' Andy! I didn't hear any mistakes. Nice production on the kit sound too, very warm and punchy.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:51 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin5 View Post
That was groovin' Andy! I didn't hear any mistakes. Nice production on the kit sound too, very warm and punchy.
Thank you :) Apart from the obvious tempo drift, there's an annoying rhythm section wobble at 1:00 that I wouldn't let pass if this was the main session.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:08 AM
Platinum Member

Well, I'd let it pass if it was my main session. I loved it just as much as the original track... It's that groovy, and has a ton of "life". Being obsessed with metronome perfection isn't something I really have, and I think I tend to gravitate towards things where maybe emotion or the human element is affecting the tempo. Even when I read your comment and went back to listen again I just couldn't find anything that bothered me.

Love how you left the reactions of all the players after the end of a great take. I can relate to that feeling and it is really pretty cool. I'm sad to say I've actually ruined the end of a few takes like that mostly because I was so excited about how well the take went and my mind wanders to that feeling too early!

But I digress... I really liked this.

Last edited by Dr_Watso; 11-13-2018 at 02:19 AM.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:34 AM
Pioneer Member

I've listened to it a few times. Sounds great!!

Killer snare sound!!
Old 11-13-2018, 06:09 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
Well, I'd let it pass if it was my main session. I loved it just as much as the original track... It's that groovy, and has a ton of "life". Being obsessed with metronome perfection isn't something I really have, and I think I tend to gravitate towards things where maybe emotion or the human element is affecting the tempo. Even when I read your comment and went back to listen again I just couldn't find anything that bothered me.
Thanks Doc. I couldn't agree more - I'll take vibe over perfection every time. If this was a main session track, apart from putting a lot more effort into the production, I'd have simply moved that slightly late snare hit in Pro Tools & be done with it.

As for tempo, I'm perfectly happy with the natural push & pull, especially in the context of a fun "extra" track.

The main session track is recorded in exactly the same way - no click - no grid or corrections, but unlike this one, we did 5 takes before nailing down the full backing track, but most of that was getting monitoring dialled in. No comping, other than replacing a Nord piano with a performance on a Steinway baby grand. I'll post that track up when the video is done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Freddy View Post
I've listened to it a few times. Sounds great!!

Killer snare sound!!
Thank you :) It's my new "go to" 13" x 7" in a low - mid tuning. For the main session track, I tuned it super low - I find 13" are great for low tuned stuff if you want to keep more composure in the instrument.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:07 PM
Platinum Member

LOL Andy... I know exactly what snare note you're talking about. It was in fact the only thing I noticed.

I recorded over the weekend with a band and have a few of those from the session to fix myself!

I'm so jazzed that "real" recordings seem to be coming back into fashion, or at least the push back is starting.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:16 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
LOL Andy... I know exactly what snare note you're talking about. It was in fact the only thing I noticed.

I recorded over the weekend with a band and have a few of those from the session to fix myself!
For me, fixing one, maybe two, on a really good take is ok, beyond that, I prefer to track again, as it's usually telling you something. No different to applying the same thinking to drop ins.

Quote:
I'm so jazzed that "real" recordings seem to be coming back into fashion, or at least the push back is starting.
I'm seeing this too, but very much in the "off the radar" space. Mainstream - that's almost 100% comp'd to a grid. Equally, I see immense talent emerging in the next generation. That's encouraging, but they're invariably not breaking through the wall in the pop space :(