DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Cymbals

Cymbals Discuss Cymbals

Old 11-10-2018, 02:28 AM

Default Zildjian K Sweet Ride

Hi all,

I'm currently building up a set of current-day Ks and while the first cymbal in the set is a standard 20" K ride which I like, I have been finding 21" K Sweets for sale used at fairly reasonable prices. I would certainly welcome the crashability of the sweet; I do find the 20" to be a little dull in that regard.

How do the two otherwise compare, in particular the bell? I really need a sharp bell for syncopated Latin and Caribbean patterns. Not as concerned about stick definition on the bow, and anyway I have a feeling the 20" would win out in that one.

I don't need to encourage spending more money but if the Sweet would demonstrably be an upgrade in the bell, I would consider it...
Old 11-10-2018, 03:03 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Zildjian K Sweet Ride

You may have seen this three page thread about them here:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...d.php?t=139965

I have a 21" K Sweet Ride.
If your main concern is the bell, I'd say pass on the K Sweet and look for something else.
It's not that it's bad. Just that it's not outstanding. And it also depends on exactly what you're looking for.
The bell is more integrated with the overall sound of the cymbal, rather than standing apart from it.
Yes - patterns that you play on it will sound different, with more definition and focus, but they won't jump out at you.

The loudest, most differentiated cymbal bell I've had was on a 22" Paiste 3000 Power Ride.
I would call that one dangerously and obnoxiously loud.
A close second is a 20" K Con Medium I've got. I don't know if they're all like that though, or if I've got a freak.

A lot of Sabians I've tried, (but haven't owned), have had exceptional bells too.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:01 AM

Yeah, I've looked that thread over already. I don't need an outrageous bell; been there, done that (Mega Bell!), just wondering how it compares to to the bell on the standard 20" K ride. If I have any complaints about that ride is that its bell is a bit small/low profile and I'm the type to play the bell with the shoulder of the stick so I prefer a bell with some heft.
Anyway, I'm keeping this set all Ks; I already have a Sabian AAX set for those louder gigs with a Bash Ride which I guess would be the analog to the Sweet Ride. The crashability of the Sweet K is an alluring factor; I just wonder if that plus the bell make it worthwhile to pick up...
Old 11-10-2018, 03:22 PM
Platinum Member

I've got a couple standard 20" K's - one newer and one older.
I would say that rather than the bells being real different,
they're more just like different flavors of the same thing.
Overall, I think the standard K's are a little louder than the K Sweet.

Best bet is to try one out and decide for yourself if it would fit what you need.

If budget isn't too much of a problem, sure pick one up, just for variety.
IMO, all parts of the K Sweet are usable.
Decent definition with a nice background wash,
pretty good bell if you don't need a piercing cowbell type sound,
and crashes somewhat like the A Sweet does - which a lot of people like.
Old 11-10-2018, 03:58 PM
Silver Member

Hey Mustion, I tested the 21" K Sweet at the local store, together with the 15" Sweet hats (which I ended up taking home) on their kit for over half an hour.

I'd say it's a pretty great allround ride, as it adresses the main issue I had with the A Sweet (too brash and piercing when crashed). I think the bell on the one I played was pretty much outstanding and would be perfect for latin-type grooves. Metal players might find it too mellow though.

The reason I didn't buy it was that there was too much overlap with my 20" K (my particular one is pretty thin, so it's very crashable) and I'm more into dry/defined rides these days (the HH RBDR is the one on my wishlist or maybe an old K Custom).

The bell is certainly bigger and easier to hit, compared to the 20" K. The sweet spot covers the whole bell on both cymbals.

Last edited by VitalTransformation; 11-10-2018 at 04:28 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:52 PM

Thanks for the input guys.

I think I'll pass on the Sweet K, for now at least. I already have a perfectly fine ride in my K setup and sentimentalist that I am, I'd probably be loath to replace it as it was the first K I ever bought.

However, I might pick up a Sweet A to use with my New Beats for those stripped down one-cymbal gigs. It just seems like one of those cymbals every drummer should have at their disposal, like the aforementioned NBs...

Last edited by Mustion; 11-12-2018 at 10:44 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:26 PM
Platinum Member

OK - more input.
A Sweet Rides are plentiful and you can probably pick one up for a lot less than a K Sweet Ride.
But that would be the biggest plus about the A. I've had several A Sweet Rides, and much prefer the K.
If you can swing it, I'd go for the K over the A every time.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:02 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
OK - more input.
A Sweet Rides are plentiful and you can probably pick one up for a lot less than a K Sweet Ride.
But that would be the biggest plus about the A. I've had several A Sweet Rides, and much prefer the K.
If you can swing it, I'd go for the K over the A every time.
I agree. I know the A Sweet is very popular, but when crashed it's really BRIGHT and LOUD! I sold mine because it was too washy for riding and too brash for crashing for my tastes. The K Sweet (at least the one I tried) has a better stick def to my ears and it would still be plenty loud and cutting for crash-riding.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitalTransformation View Post
I agree. I know the A Sweet is very popular, but when crashed it's really BRIGHT and LOUD! I sold mine because it was too washy for riding and too brash for crashing for my tastes. The K Sweet (at least the one I tried) has a better stick def to my ears and it would still be plenty loud and cutting for crash-riding.
Well I just jumped on a pretty good deal for an A Sweet, so we'll see if I like it... if not, I'll sell it and try a K which I have seen for roughly $150 more used...