Nicko McBrain

Gotta love his shirt!

They were selling them at the show, I got meself one. They were also selling Spirit of Maiden snares that you could get autographed by Nicko after the show but I wasn't quite ready to shell out (no pun intended) my money just yet!!

last year i went to one of his drum clinics in england (newcastle) and i was amazed at how low his throne was compared to to the height of his kit.
i got a picture taken with him when i was there and a autograph had to wait a while but it was worth it

Hi Nicko, I'm a friend of George's from premier, just thought I'd say hi :) He kept telling me to go to one of your clinics but I didn't have the time unfortunately :( All the best!

Hello fellow Nicko fans. He is fantastic isn't he? I have followed his career with Maiden since he joined. I must add I thought Clive was the best drummer out there doing that kind of music until Nicko came along. No dis-respect Clive, I still love ya mate!! :)
One thing though, I kind of wish he'd used a click track to record with in the early days. On 7th Son tracks such as "Moonchild" and "Can I play with Madness" he speeds up so much. He can be a massive racer sometimes. I thought Harry would've said something, but obviously he didn't mind.
Have a listen to "Moonchild" and count with him during the intro and then keep counting as he rips into the first verse.
I don't wanna sound like I'm rippin on the dude by any means, but it's pretty obvious.

hes from the spicy end of the spice rack

I'm a big fan. The guy can count and has amazing skills to go along with it. I recently acquired 1 of the 10 somewhere back in time kits made by Premier, unfortunately having a replica of his kit didn't make me play like him. I guess we all need inspiration. I've never seen Maiden and I'm sure my chances are dwindling, but hopefully someday I'll meet Nicko at his restaurant in Florida. If you want to see some up close and educational stuff, YouTube Rock n' Roll ribs. Nicko plays with some guys for the grand opening with cameras right there. Way better shots than Maiden vids where you get a whole 10/1000th of a second clip of him playing those mad fills. It would be nice if they kept a camera on the drummers a little longer. I hope he does more educational stuff, mainly with his foot technique. The guy has a ton to offer the drumming community. UpTheIrons

Well Nicko certainly has a lot of fans. Personally I find a lot of his playing very similar so yes he can play but for me Clive Burr all the way when it comes to Maiden.

I have been lucky I met one of my drum heroes Mr DH Peligro and he was an absolute legend, very nice chap and we spent about 30 to 40 mins chatting away.

Well Nicko certainly has a lot of fans. Personally I find a lot of his playing very similar so yes he can play but for me Clive Burr all the way when it comes to Maiden.

I have been lucky I met one of my drum heroes Mr DH Peligro and he was an absolute legend, very nice chap and we spent about 30 to 40 mins chatting away.

I second that one... Those are two brilliant drummers that they helped to build and grow their bands!!

RIP Mr. Burr and Mr. DH Peligro rocked the Dead Kennedys!!

He is awesome I love the trooper and where eagles dear
His triplets are awesome I wish I could do what he dose

How old are you Drumlord?

What other drummers/ styles of music do you listen to?

How long have you been playing?

I think I'm more interested in hearing about you than about McBrain, honestly.

GeeDeeEmm

I wish I could see Nicko McBrain better in videos, he has so many drums and cymbals all I see is some of his head.

Hello Drumlord I appreciate those 3 as well. Nicko seems like such a cool guy, for his age he still can get down. I like his kit that has the Maiden album art that he’s contributed to as well. His ride position is interesting as well.

Oh and sugarfoot has the most insane behind the head cymbal sweep (is what I call hit and mute) I have ever seen.

I’ve seen Maiden a couple of times live and was blown away both times by Nicko’s playing. His playing sometimes feels frantic and like he’s going to derail but he doesn’t. He sounds and looks natural playing on the edge like that.

You can't not love Nicko!
Love his playing, and humour. Seems like a genuinely good man. His kits are always spectacular. His cymbals are to die for. His right foot is excellent and his ride patterns are sweeeet. One of my many drum heros.

Back