Getting back into drumming.

kevinyo4

Hey there,

I'm trying to get back into drumming. In the last 1,5 years i have played 2 or 3 times.

Ofcourse it is expected to not be as good technique-wise as 1,5 years ago.
I have problems with my feet. I don't have the control that I used to have.
My right foot struggles to line up with my right hand, and alot of speed has been lost.

My left foot hihat independence has always be a weakness of mine. Double bass i used to able to follow the right foot with my left. But if my right foot has some problems, it's understandable that my left foot has even more.

Do you guys have any advice/exercises to get better footcontrol?

Thanks,
Kevin

Hiya matey...I feel your pain

There's some great suggestions below, but I too have a video drum lesson on how to play the "Heel Up" technique. You can watch it here if you like...

"Heel Up" Bass Drum Technique

Also, do you ever just play along to your favourite music? Have a drink or two (if you're old enough of course!) and bash out a couple of tunes...always inspires me...with or without the drink!

Rob

Hey there,

I'm trying to get back into drumming.

Do you guys have any advice/exercises to get better footcontrol?

Thanks,
Kevin

Hi Kevin. I am coming back to drumming after 30 years so we have something in common. What is working for me is practicing very slowly and deliberately with drumless tracks or a metronome set to the smallest subdivision I am going to use. I also record myself and listen. When find hand/foot rhythms/combos that are not quite right (or down right wrong) I turn it into a practice pattern for as long as necessary. Like they say if you want to play it fast and tight learn it slow and perfect first. You chops will come back and maybe as we get older we can use wisdom to makeup for our former prowess. Like old sports stars who learn how to do more with less. Good luck and let us know how it goes

Any good teachers in your area you can employ for a couple of lessons? This is always touchy if I can't see what it is you're doing wrong. But it sounds to me like you just need to re-wire those muscles, and you haven't not been playing for that long. In lieu of finding a teacher, I say, just go slow and have fun with it. And as you put in an hour every day, eventually something will click and you'll be where you were at before you stopped playing.

Back