The Big Kits vs. Small Kits Debate

The better drummer you are, the more drums you can use well.

Yes, a good artist can keep your interest with just one drum - but a good artist can also keep your interest with 10 drums.

Agreed.

(my message is too short - 20 characters needed, so here they are)

My kit back in the day grew all the time. It became a burden to me. Although I admit I liked having a set that looked like the Portnoys of the world at that time.

I play on my cousin's drum set right now which is a little bigger than mine used to me. As I am beginning to take drumming seriously again (I had a two year hiatus), I have a new desire for a 5 piece set. I will still have my high octobans when that time comes, but I just feel it is time for me to focus on the building from the ground up again both in my playing and set up.

If I get any more toms, it would one higher as I love the sound of high 8in toms. Cymbals, now that is another story. To me, the more cymbals the better!

Sorry buddy. Disagree. You try playing RUSH, Dream Theater with a four piece and I will know very soon you do not have enough drums to pull it off. Unless you want all the fills to sound the same.

I agree with what sticks4drums said... Why put limits on the fills that could be played? I'd choose a 5 or 6 piece over a 3 piece any day...

1990 Yamaha Power Tour Customs: 12, 13, 16, 18, and 22 w/14 inch brass snare. 2 rides (Zildjian K & Ping), 2 crash (Zildjian Rock crash & A Custom), and 2 hi-hat sets (Zildjian New Beats & K Dark)

Last edited:
I agree with what sticks4drums said... Why put limits on the fills that could be played?

If a player can afford it ... and is prepared to do all the lugging, setup and maintenance (or pay someone to do it) ... and there's plenty of room on stage ... and the band likes it ...

then a big kit is just fine.

I was just messin' with you guys. Ya - I've seen a lot of discussions like this about # of keyboards too.
There's always some 'wise-guy' who says a good player only needs one, just to stir up the hornet's nest.
Big kit/small kit - either one's just fine with me. Mine have always been 5 piece with a lot of add-ons.

Big kits are a lot of fun. Who wouldn't love them? Sometimes I play gigs where I just don't want to bring my drums and use whatever's there. I always find it educational to play someone else's set. All that being said, my 3 piece kit always fascinates me. I can do anything on that kit that I can do on a monster kit - except change the pitch of the tom. Smaller kits force me into an economical playing style that depends far more on expression and nuance than crash-bang-boom. 20 minute snare solos? Yup. Sounds great.

Ive played both though the years. Each have thier own + & thier own -.

Here are my two extremes.

1 a 1992 Pearl world series.
8x8,8x10,10x10,10,12,12x13 mounted toms
14x14,16x16,18x16 floor toms
(2) 22x18 bass drums
14x12 marching snare
6x12,6x14,6x16,6x18 octotoms
W/ 3 Sabian AAs & 8 Zildjian As

Now
10x8,12x10 toms
16x16,16x18 floor toms
22x26 Bass
14x 6 1/2 snare
W/ 9 Saluda Earthworks

Attachments

• Pearl 1992.jpg
    Pearl 1992.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 331
  • IMAG0494(2).jpg
    IMAG0494(2).jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 333
Ive played both though the years. Each have thier own + & thier own -.

Here are my two extremes.

1 a 1992 Pearl world series.
8x8,8x10,10x10,10,12,12x13 mounted toms
14x14,16x16,18x16 floor toms
(2) 22x18 bass drums
14x12 marching snare
6x12,6x14,6x16,6x18 octotoms
W/ 3 Sabian AAs & 8 Zildjian As

Now
10x8,12x10 toms
16x16,16x18 floor toms
22x26 Bass
14x 6 1/2 snare
W/ 9 Saluda Earthworks
You need to put the Pearl monster on the crazy tom angle thread! :)

I find it often comes down to how loud a project is to how many drums are preferred.

In a jazz piece you have all those wonderfully low dynamics that totally change the character of a drum.

Try that in an arena rock band and no one would ever hear it, so you need more drums to make up for the lost ranges of your other drums.

Still both large and small kits are great, and really are different monsters. The only thing worse than a bad drummer on a big kit, is a bad drummer on a small kit. Bad drummers sound bad, good drummers sound good and the kit makes very little difference.

Ya, but what about me? I am an average drummer on a big kit! :)

Good points there Andy. Someone recently thought I should be a great drummer, because I had a big kit. I just like big kits. I love toms! :)

You can spend the big bucks on a large kit when you have the money and just not use some drums to create a small kit.

You have to spend spend time finding other drums that match (if you like having matching drums) and money to get the drum, which may be a pain if you are financially hurting at that point and time.

You can spend the big bucks on a large kit when you have the money and just not use some drums to create a small kit.

You have to spend spend time finding other drums that match (if you like having matching drums) and money to get the drum, which may be a pain if you are financially hurting at that point and time.

I bought my first pro-level kit (DW in 10/12/14/16/22 configuration) with this same idea: I could use whichever toms I felt fit the music better, and however many of them I needed. I have yet to come across a situation where I NEED more than a rack tom and a floor tom. Heck, I have yet to play a gig where my 12/14/20 setup wouldn't suffice. But, then again, I don't intend to play in a Rush or Dream Theatre cover band any time soon...

Back