Songs you used to play...

Stroman

Diamond Member
...but don't any more. Anybody got any old favorites that they used to play, but just don't seem to fit these days?
I do. I was putting Led Zeppelin's "In Through the Out Door" on my IPod, and it jogged my memory. I was in a band back in the late 70's that played "Carouselambra" - went over great at the stoner parties we played back then. I just can't see doing it now. People seem to have shorter attention spans.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else waxed nostalgic from time to time.

I used to do Steely Dan's "Cousin Dupree", but stopped when the audiences were getting creeped out. They didn't seem to mind The Police's "Murder by Numbers". Go figure.

I used to do Steely Dan's "Cousin Dupree", but stopped when the audiences were getting creeped out. They didn't seem to mind The Police's "Murder by Numbers". Go figure.

Haha, used to play Cousin Dupree, too. Love the dark humor! But yeah, people don't get it. Funny that they don't mind "Murder By Numbers." Cool songs both, in my opinion!

Very funny seeing this post tonight being that I just received 2 new CD's today. I am trying to restock my music collection with some of the older stuff I used play and had on vinyl. Probably one of the craziest songs we used play (and talk about dark) that really went over great back in the day was "The Torture Never Stops" off of the Zappa Zoot Allures album. Terry Bozzio really played great on this album and think some of his best stuff. The other CD I found was Adventures Of The Astral Pirates by Lenny White, once again I personally think it was some of his best stuff....

Attachments

• Zappa.jpg
    Zappa.jpg
    594.9 KB · Views: 294
Yes - Heart of the Sunrise ...... good song to play but I guess I played it too many times and lost the muse.....

I used to love playing the "Intergalactic Touring Band" album but can't find a copy anywhere nowadays for a reasonable price (I mean, $150 on Amazon, really........)

Yes - Heart of the Sunrise ...... good song to play but I guess I played it too many times and lost the muse.....

I used to love playing the "Intergalactic Touring Band" album but can't find a copy anywhere nowadays for a reasonable price (I mean, $150 on Amazon, really........)

I actually posted a thread here looking for The Adventures Of The Astral Pirates and a member pointed me to Abstract Logix www.abstractlogix.com . This is where I also found the Zappa album I had trouble finding before. Give it a shot, they have a ton of good music they are promoting/selling, I was amazed and I am not done buying yet....Good luck and let me know how it works out for you...By the way $13.98 for Lenny White, and $15.98 for the Zappa CD (American)...$4.00 shipping....

Very funny seeing this post tonight being that I just received 2 new CD's today. I am trying to restock my music collection with some of the older stuff I used play and had on vinyl. Probably one of the craziest songs we used play (and talk about dark) that really went over great back in the day was "The Torture Never Stops" off of the Zappa Zoot Allures album. Terry Bozzio really played great on this album and think some of his best stuff. The other CD I found was Adventures Of The Astral Pirates by Lenny White, once again I personally think it was some of his best stuff....

I never played "The Torture Never Stops," but that would be a great one! Good find on those CDs, too.

Too many to remember. Not including all the originals, this will be a good test of my memory ...
Smoke on the Water (Purple)
Paranoid (Sabs)
Soul Stripper (ACDC)
Johnny B Goode
Jean Genie (Bowie)
Little Queenie (Stones)
Brown Sugar (Stones)
Tumbling Dice (Stones)
Honky Tonk Women (Stones - more cowbell!)
Bitch (Stones)
Anarchy in the UK (Pistols)
Bodies (Pistols)
Roadhouse Blues (Doors)
School's Out (Alice Cooper)
Whole Lotta Love (LZ)
Wild Thing (Troggs/Jimi)
Once Bitten Twice Shy (Ian Hunter)
Nutbuch City Limits (Ike & Tina)
Ain't Too Proud to Beg (Stones)
Sweet Virginia (Stones)
Down to the Doctor (Dr Feelgood)
Dust My Broom (Elmore James)
Mannish Boy (Muddy Waters)
Green Onions (Booker T)
Living Loving Maid (LZ)
Cold Turkey (Lennon)
Take It as It Comes (Doors)
Peace Frog (Doors)
Fire (Hendrix)
Love Me Two Times (Doors)
Birthday (Beatles)
Should I Stay Or Should I Go (Clash)
Couldn't Stand the Weather (SRV - love to play this again)
Little Sister (Elvis)
Boots
White Room (Cream)
Strange Brew (Cream)
I Can't Explain (Who)
Rock My Plimsoul (Jeff Beck)
Last Goodbye (Jeff Buckley)
Play that Funky Music (Wild Cherry)
Walk On By (Strangers version - current band's version is a mix of this and Dionne Warwick's)
Smash It Up (The Damned)
Superstition (Stevie)
Black Magic Woman (Santana)
Locomotive Breath (Tull)
You're So Vain (Carly Simon)
Fame (Bowie)
Golden Years (Bowie)
Suck My Kiss (Chilli Peppers - that was fun!)
Love Rears Its Ugly Head (Loving Color - even more fun!)
Cocaine (Clapton)
For the Love of Ivy - Gun Club
Burning Down the House (Talking Heads - those fills were fun)
Can't Get Enough (Bad Company - also fun)
You Really Got Me (Kinks)
All the Day and All of the Night (Kinks)
Stone Free (Hendrix)
California Dreaming (Mamas and the Papas)
Blue Suede Shoes (Carl Perkins)
Hound Dog (Elvis)
Jumpin Jack Flash (Stones)
Reach Out (Four Tops)
You Keep Me Hanging On (Vanilla Fudge version - I enjoyed that!)
Bad to the Bone (George Thorogood)
Space Oddity (Bowie)
Brown Eyed Girl (Van Morrison)
Evil Ways (Santana)
Knock On Wood (Bowie Version)
Tainted Love (Soft Cell)
Rocky Mountain Way (Joe Walsh)

Only a fraction - I've forgotten most of them. At this age you forget more than you remember. Most rock drummers my age would have played most of these staples - and many more - at some stage or another. I always preferred playing originals anyway.

One thing that struck me as I put the list together is how I never even liked most of them! That's the bummer about drumming - you have to play what the singers and tuned instruments want to play and get very little say.

How funny Pollyana, what a great list, and yes I am an older drummer and have played most off your list. And once again how funny and true your statement is, we never get much or very little say in the set lists. However, here is a very recent and great story. Two weeks ago we played a gig, decent venue, large crowd. Anyway, I have been trying to get the band to cover an older B-52's tune "Planet Claire". The keyboard player and myself finally laid down the law and said we were going to play it. Anyway, after a few weeks rehearsing it we finally got it onto the set list. We played this song and I think everyone in this club was on the floor going nuts. Great making certain people eat some crow every now and then...So now I am being asked what other songs I might want to cover...Ha ha, we are now working on 2 of "The Tragically Hip" songs I have been wanting to play for a while.

Haha Jim, I'm probably being too harsh. Maybe I like about half 2/3rds of them :) But I only LOVE a minority. Yeah, give the drummer some! I can imagine Planet Claire getting the crowd going. Other musos sometimes forget that most punters love drummy songs.

I have a fair bit of say with repertoire in my current band, but only within the bounds of the chilled style of the band - which was decided by the others. If I had my way it would be 60s style psychedelic rock but it's been good learning to play without thumping like crazy.

Lots of kiss songs. I used to have them down pat and now I can't touch them because it's been so long. Some Zep tunes come to mind.

We used to do lots of Talking Heads and Elvis Costello back in the late 80's, but that music seems to have been lost to most people. Although my band does play Take Me To the River, and I get to sing lead.

We used to do lots of Talking Heads and Elvis Costello back in the late 80's, but that music seems to have been lost to most people. Although my band does play Take Me To the River, and I get to sing lead.

Thanks, you reminded me that old bands of mine have played Pump It Up and Take Me to the River. Pump It Up is very a physically taxing tune to play!

Good on you. No sane band would ever let me sing lead anything - ever :)

Just to name a few

Peace sells -Megadeth

Youth gone wild -Skid Row

How will I laugh tomorrow -Suicidal Tendencies

Radar Love -White Lion (Version)

Mississippi Queen –Mountain

& of course WIPE OUT!

Thanks, you reminded me that old bands of mine have played Pump It Up and Take Me to the River. Pump It Up is very a physically taxing tune to play!

Good on you. No sane band would ever let me sing lead anything - ever :)

Haha - I never could figure out how our lead singer could remember all the lyrics to Pump It Up - the song went on forever. It's like We Didn't Start The Fire by Billy Joel or The End of The World by REM. I can't even remember all the lyrics to simple songs like Bad Moon Rising, so I need cheat sheets.

" vengence is mine," morbid angel

"sworn," emperor

"primitive future" sepultura

Back when I first picked up a pair of sticks, I played the Travis Barker Rap-Rock "Remix's"
Such as:
Slaughterhouse- The One (Travis Barker Remix)
Drake- Forever (Travis Barker Remix)
Busta Rhymes- Don't Touch Me (Travis Barker Remix)
Eminem- 3AM (Travis Barker Remix)
ETC....................................
And all that other stuff. I listen to it now and I realize how naive I was.

Cool, I love hearing these lists! Keep 'em coming, especially the oddball stuff.

If we go all the way back to high school, my list of "used to play" songs is pretty long, just not very notable for the most part, lol. Besides "Carouselambra," the only other one I can think of that wasn't kind of a standard for bands to cover was "Dragon Attack" by Queen. That was actually the name of the band. And I've never heard another band cover that song.

Plus we could do an entire set of AC/DC!

Back