Forearm Strength

DrWorm

Will my strength (or lack thereof) particularly in my forearms prevent me from getting my double strokes up to 200 bpm? To put this in context, I am one of the weakest adult males I know. I've always thought that you don't have to be strong to be fast, based on some of the kid drummers I've seen flying around the kit, but I'm wondering if I should at least build my strength up to average. Right now my open roll becomes uneven above 150 bpm.

Wrap a thick towel around a pull up bar and do pullups gripping the towel instead of the bar. I do this to improve my grip strength in Brazilian jiu jitsu. Or you could do curls with your palms facing down instead of up. But this only answers the grip strength question... Others will chime in as far as strength vs technique.

Will my strength (or lack thereof) particularly in my forearms prevent me from getting my double strokes up to 200 bpm? To put this in context, I am one of the weakest adult males I know. I've always thought that you don't have to be strong to be fast, based on some of the kid drummers I've seen flying around the kit, but I'm wondering if I should at least build my strength up to average. Right now my open roll becomes uneven above 150 bpm.
Forearm strength isn't a deal breaker but it helps. But I also don't believe in a lot of weight lifting stuff that may or may not have a practical application for your playing. Besides too much bulking up (I think) can even get in the way. I prefer using a percussion based approach for building forearm strength like an exercise with something on the line of Power Wrist Builders. And yeah, I endorse the product, but I was using them before I was.

Forearm strength isn't a deal breaker but it helps. But I also don't believe in a lot of weight lifting stuff that may or may not have a practical application for your playing. Besides too much bulking up (I think) can even get in the way. I prefer using a percussion based approach for building forearm strength like an exercise with something on the line of Power Wrist Builders. And yeah, I endorse the product, but I was using them before I was.

I don't believe you need a whole lot of strength when it comes to drumming vs something like furniture moving... But let's not debate science, which has proven that picking up heavy things makes you stronger (with a good diet and proper recovery, etc.)

You are using sticks that weigh ounces. You need endurance more than strength. That will come with time. be patient and save your time and money on gimmicks

I agree with everything that's been said - it's not about strength but technique, stamina and control.

You may want to get a roadie though :)

More suggestions:

* GripMaster (I use this for about 15 years now/guitarist background - this thing helped me greatly improve my legato and bending technique and significantly reduces fatigue when playing fast for a longer period, and I'm a shredhead ;-)
http://www.thomann.de/de/gripmaster_gmr_medium.htm

* Gyrotwister / Dynaball / Powerball = gyroscoptic wrist exerciser:
This will give a MASSIVE improvement but I'm too lazy to use this thing regularly - I should. Be careful when starting out, you'll easily get sore muscles.

* Varying sticks: I have 5 pairs of sticks and vary them for speed (Vic Firth JoJo Mayer) / workout (Vic Firth Thomas Lang, or even marching sticks).

The more obvious ways:
* Practicing finger technique with ONE finger at a time (but repeat with EACH finger)

I think it boils down to _utilizing_ any strength increase into what we're after - the drumming motions. The motions themselves have to be practiced of course, otherwise more power won't result in more control/speed/endurance/whatever (the same applies to various kinds of sports).

I do believe it's about strength, and endurance...of the small finger muscles, and everything else needed to work the fingers, which go from the hands and wrist all the way up the forearms. A drumstick is just the right implement to work those muscles with.

It's funny that I just mentioned strength in wrists and forearms when I did this instructional video for Power Wrist Builders a few days ago. For the last 3 weeks I've been doing a series of these short segments...and yes to be entirely truthful I have associations with all the groups I do them with. Still this video shows a simple wrist and forearm common application exercise that you might find useful, that will help you localize a little strength exactly where it needs to go without wasting your efforts generally bulking up to utilize better technique.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FV43UhhvsU

And again, yes I have done things for Power Wrist Builders and World's Fastest Drummer for a few years now. The videos actually do as much to help me because my vocal presentation is still behind written expression. So when I get away from spontaneous conversation, things it gets a little wooden. But it's hopefully getting better.

I agree with Matt. Weights can get in the way.

Jojo's Hand clap exercise really helped me. Hold you forearms together and clap (8 counts for 100 sets). It's on his video.

Oh yes, JoJo's clap exercise... 100 reps of 8's can feel like an eternity ;-) I never checked the time, but it's shocking what difference 2-3 minutes can make. A real workout.

Matt,
thanks for the YT link - cool video!

Last edited:
If other people have done it, why can't you? A negative attitude towards it and excuses aren't going to help you achieve your goals.

Thanks everyone for all of the thoughts.

Matt - I don't begrudge anyone for endorsing a product, especially when they are up front about their relationship to a product (as you were) and if they believe in it and use it.

I've been doing JoJo's clapping exercise this week and have been feeling the burn. I also came up with my own exercise (I know, who am I?) where I basically ball both my fists up (loosely) then flick all my fingers and thumb out to full extension and then back into a fist and repeat.

Back