Are you ashamed of what someone might find on your playlist?

yes i like the Spice Girls. "Wanna Be", "Saturday Night Divas", "Spice Up Your Life" and the video in the desert one...I'm giving you everything - whatever the name of that one is.

Shame on you... :) :) :)

hey Pol -

thought you might like this. i know i do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs5A3B-LBLQ

hhug... some really weird songs in there I never heard of... :)

I'm more ashamed of the songs I don't have on my list that should be there.

Agree, me too... :)

How about this for a confession? I really enjoy Wham!'s Careless Whisper *gasp*

Shame on you too... :) :) :)

Having said that, it's on my wife's playlist :)

I especially love his drummer, Herlin Riley ...this solo is one of my favourite ones ever, the closest thing I've heard to Papa Jo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFvgCtomkqE

That is something I should have on my playlist, Herlin Riley's solo is both unconventional and insipring, a real little gem Polly, you should be proud to have it on your playlist :)

Here's our first set. I don't see anything we need to change here.

1. Feelings
2; You Light Up My Life
3. Muskrat Love
4. MacArthur Park
5. Copacabana
6. YMCA
7. Achy Breaky Heart
8. Silly Love Songs
9. Ebony and Ivory
10. You're Having My Baby
11, Who Let The Dogs Out
12. All By Myself
13. Do You Really Want to Hurt Me

Here's our first set. I don't see anything we need to change here.

7. Achy Breaky Heart
9. Ebony and Ivory
10. You're Having My Baby
11, Who Let The Dogs Out

Yes, you need to drop these monstrosities! Have you no pride, man?? (the inflection for "man" is old style, not 60s hipspeak "man")

:)

As to the thread question: mostly no, sometimes yes.

ABBA: My parents were listening to them a lot when I was 6-8 years old so I was exposed to them, too. After that haven't been listening ABBA but I don't see anything wrong in their music. I don't have to get all their albums or something. In fact they are high experts on how to write top 10 and no.1 hits - I read somewhere that they did some study on various no.1 hits and analysed what all/many songs had in common. ABBA wasn't just music from the heart (maybe it wasn't from the heart at all), it was clearly a business, and a highly successful one as we know. Thinking about it, ABBA must have been the first band which influenced me. On a subconscious level. (No, it wasn't Iron Maiden and Metallica - that was much later).

Well 'untypical' stuff/music I can listen to and which I must admit that I like it is e.g (in reverse chronological order - trying to remember):

Cascada - "Fever"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUVzVBEWjgw

Stumbling across songs like that is what happens to me every 2 or so years. I'm trying hard to avoid listening to music on the TV, I dn't isten to any radio (sorry Benny Greb, but I don't take "Listen to the radio" too seriously, haha). And then, even "that" music has something to offer - not deep substance, but at least clever arrangement, often times surprising elements and frankly, a bunch of cool idead/innovations. E.g. that Cascada song (to my ears) has surprising tonality changes from minor to major which do sound cool. Also the vocals are phrased effectively and work (don't know how hard they've been polished in the studio, by autotune or whatever though).

Sharyhan Osman - "I Feel The Nile"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9x_EEmBOeQ
She made it into the final 10 vocalists of a German TV show talent search. The song arrangement was done by the Heavytones, that show's band. So there's still some potential to make the arrangement/song even better "next time".

Andre 3000's "Hey Ya" is another example (haven't found a YT link to the official version which isn't blocked). I just liked that song (and video) from the moment when I first saw it. I can't find anything about it which I don't find cool. Doesn't mean I have to go and get their album or listen to one more of their songs, but those songs mentioned are ok to me.

There were some more dancefloor/soft techno tunes around 1990 which I liked, but I don't really remember the titles. I liked listening to Haddaway for some time but in the end I don't really miss it from today's perspective.

Haddaway - "What Is Love"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy9uMi9reBI

The Prodigy - "Firestarter" (so-so quality, but with the orig. video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDTTVbCOInw
Maybe the most radical/extreme tune from my "odd music/what I'm usually not listening to" category. That Prodigy music and video came across quite innovative/fresh to me. That short melody mixing up major and minor tonality is just cool. Why don't I come up with something like that? Haha.

Part of what I'm listening to is original material. Stuff I'm never ashamed of (except I'm listening to orig. ideas created some 15 years or more ago - that stuff wasn't mature enough yet).

Those tunes rock! May be we can move them into the second set and replace them with:

7. mmmbop
9. We Are the World
10. Loving You (Minnie Riperton version)
11. Reunited (Peaches and Herb)

Just working on this set list is getting me ready to rock and roll!

I liked that Arky, she reminded me Beverley Craven almost straight away, both the style, the voice and the look :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2CIiB1Y_yI&feature=related
Thanks for the link, but that one is blocked for watchers from Germany. (I'm embarrassed I still haven't checked out how to watch blocked videos. GEMA (representing copyrights in Germany) are a PITA!) Never heard of Beverley before. Watching "Promise me" instead right now... You're right, there's some similarity!

Last edited:
> This: The B-52's and Devo...Never been ashamed of...only received few jokes and wicked grins from my Judas Priest colleagues!

Attachments

• the B-52's.jpg
    the B-52's.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 337
  • the B-52's pary mix.jpg
    the B-52's pary mix.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 330
  • the B-52's whammy.jpg
    the B-52's whammy.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 320
  • Devo freedom of choice.jpg
    Devo freedom of choice.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 323
  • Oh no its Devo!.jpg
    Oh no its Devo!.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 319
The only ABBA I have is a cover of "Dancing Queen" by Paul Gilbert on "Acoustic Samurai".

I have some Orianthi on my phone... that's probably as bad as it gets.

Unless you count Paula Cole. I have two of her CDs.

No.

If you don't like what I like, well, it's not my fault you have no taste.

I have no time for Jr High school baloney where someone tries to make me feel ashamed for liking this or that.

http://www.last.fm/user/Chaos2092

Literally ashamed? Nah... I don't think anyone here would literally be ashamed though, so in line with the topic: I embrace my love for a lot of Katy Perry's mindless pop garbage because that's precisely what it is, catchy, provocative fun music to play driving with friends and all of that, and it doesn't try to be anything else.

There's plenty of embarrassing songs here and there I could probably name that I have love/hate relationships because of inside jokes and such (Take On Me, In the Air Tonight, the list could go on) and it definitely juxtaposes my typical listening habits and could get some "HAHA, you're listening to WHAT?" reactions.

Are you brave enough to let me see your peacock?

> This: The B-52's and Devo...Never been ashamed of...only received few jokes and wicked grins from my Judas Priest colleagues!

Devo are great. Totally off the wall personalities.

I'm not sure I have any regular music that I'm ashamed of. I think the closest it gets is System of a Down but I think they're great.

I will admit to having a very small soft spot for some of the Spice Girls numbers but I was about seven or eight the first time around so I think it's forgivable!

Play list? What's a playlist?

A playlist is a compilation of song by different artists/bands that you like that featured in you favourite listing on your media player, YouTube channel, MP3 player or i-pod for example :)

ABBA was my ex-wife's favorite band along with Modern Talking (uggghh!).

I do like ABBA. I have their Number One's album and SuperTrouper. No Modern Talking though, now that I would be ashamed of for sure.

ABBA was my ex-wife's favorite band along with Modern Talking (uggghh!).

I do like ABBA. I have their Number One's album and SuperTrouper. No Modern Talking though, now that I would be ashamed of for sure.

i have 3 greatest hits. 2 of em doubles.

Back