Most Under-rated Drummers

Like someone said earlier in this thread, Billy Cobham seems not to get talked about a lot. He's a powerhouse!

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going!"

gravy1.jpg

I don't know if he's underrated or not in the drumming community but the drummer from Our Lady Peace I always thought stood out as pretty good.

Hello brothers,my very first post here!

IMHO there's a lot of drummers that seem to be underrated...

Ronald Shannon Jackson (imho ''the grey eminence'' of modern music) and Victor Jones (Culture-Versy) are among them.

There's a ton of others though...

Phil Ehart - Kansas
Scott Rockenfield - Queensryche
Mark Zonder - Fates Warning Check out 'At Fate's Hands' off of Perfect Symmetry
Guy Gelso - Zebra He's not even listed on the website????
Chester Thomson
Chad Wackerman
Phil Collins is more known for his 80's hits and the popular genesis stuff, but some of the stuff he did when Gabriel was still on vocals and the stuff he did with Brand X certainly put him in the under rated category.
Great thread and many cool responses, by the way!

Without a doubt in mind it has to be Richie Hayward, famed drummer for Little Feat (RIP) is one of the many underrated drummers out there. He finally got recognition at the Grammy's this year, sadly it was a long time coming and after his death. When I really want a good workout/practice session I still sit down and (try) to play along to the entire double CD set of Waiting For Columbus. I suggest that if you have not heard him or even of him to check out some of his stuff, you will not be disappointed...I had the pleasure of seeing Little Feat live twice, before Lowell George passed away, phenominal shows I will never forget. Richie was one of my inspirations for playing..Still is....

Charlie Benante of Anthrax. Easliy the man. Incredible chops and feel, extremely creative with beats and fills, and writes lyrucs and music as well.

Let's see, off the top of my head: John Bishop, Alan Jones, Matt Jorgensen, Gregg Keplinger, Carlton Jackson, Mel Brown, Stephen Pancerev, Steve Korn, Mike Snyder, Tim Rap, Charlie Doggett, Reinhard Melz, Tim Paxton, Ken Ollis, Ji Tanzer, Ron Steen, Mel Brown, Gary Hobbs, Byron Vannoy, Jason Palmer, Tyson Stubelek, Kevin van Gheem, Mike Peterson. Those guys are all great. There are probably a couple of dozen more obvious ones that are escaping me at the moment.

Dave Houghton - who was or is Joe Jacksons drummer...the drums on the album "look sharp" are fantastic....

Steve Goulding - who played on some Elvis Costello records.....great drumming on "watching the detectives"

Alan Cage who played on Quicksands "slip"

David Sandstrom who played on Refused "shape of punk to come"

all pretty un sung cats

Without a doubt in mind it has to be Richie Hayward, famed drummer for Little Feat (RIP) is one of the many underrated drummers out there. He finally got recognition at the Grammy's this year, sadly it was a long time coming and after his death. When I really want a good workout/practice session I still sit down and (try) to play along to the entire double CD set of Waiting For Columbus. I suggest that if you have not heard him or even of him to check out some of his stuff, you will not be disappointed...I had the pleasure of seeing Little Feat live twice, before Lowell George passed away, phenominal shows I will never forget. Richie was one of my inspirations for playing..Still is....

+1 on Richie Hayward.With Little Feat he was a monster groove funkmiester.He also played with lots of other people,including Robert Plant.If you want to see what Richie's influence can do to a song,there is a youtube vid of Linda Ronstadt singing :"You're no Good"live on the old Midnight Special,with Richie on drums,and Skunk Baxter on congas.Listen to that and then listen to the studio verson,which Richie does not play on.The difference is amazing.

Steve B

Back