Drum set mics

kverulant

Hello! I'm planning to record my drums and since I'm completely unexperienced of which mics to get, and what cheap&working interface to get, I was really hoping that you guys could suggest some.

My setup will be a snare, bass, tom and floor tom, a ride and a crash.

And I'm also working on a very small budget, but bring me your favourite mics, thanks!

Yeah those would do...
But on the real, just get yourself 1 (one) mic that's even half decent and start experimenting with recording in general. Even a cheapo might do just to get you started, a single mono track is good enough to start with.

You will find that stuff like mic placement makes a huge difference.

Also I think that before you manage to get an "ok" sounding recording with a single mic, you shouldn't add any more.

Can't help you on the subject of the interface, sorry.
I have a small Yamaha mixer for the mic and from there I record straight into a minidisc player. Easy and fast.

get the tascam 1800 or whatever it is.. they go used for 180 or less on kijiji/craigslist/ebay

i bought a cheap set of cad pro 7's ($150 new)
pretty good deal for 7 mics

heres a quick recording i did with em

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5C4J_f2I1s

I suck at recording/mixing but if you tune your drums well you can get a great sound from budget mics.

I spent extra on my interface so i can upgrade mics one at a time when i feel i need to

Never mind the pre-packaged kits. You'll want a kick mic, a snare mic, and at leat one overhead, preferably two. Snare mic is easy: SM57. I've used other mics that were better than a SM57 on a given snare, but the Shure can produce a useable sound on any snare, every time.

Kick: the usual suspects all work. Consider a RE20/EV20, or the cheaper Heil PR40, and you'll have a mic for vocals, cabs etc as well. I like the D6 a lot for agressive sounding applications, but it's not fun to get more organic sounds out of it. I love the old ATM25s, but they aren't a bargain any more.

Overheads: SP B1s will do in a pinch, MXL603s and Oktava MK012s are well-weathered and highly moddable staples. A couple of used SM81s are never a bad way to go.

Hello! I'm planning to record my drums and since I'm completely unexperienced of which mics to get, and what cheap&working interface to get, I was really hoping that you guys could suggest some.

My setup will be a snare, bass, tom and floor tom, a ride and a crash.

And I'm also working on a very small budget, but bring me your favourite mics, thanks!

Get a used focusrite interface on ebay for a few hundred $.
Kick: D6, D112, PR40, beta 52, md421
Snare: i5, sm57
overheads: Sm81's, Nt2a's, AT4040, look for large diaphragms on ebay - cheap.
Toms (not necessary): Audix f2/D2/D4, sennheiser e604, sm57, md421

You might check into one of those hand held recorders. I think there are lots of brand name ones out there. I found a used Zoom Q3 HD on line at GC use gear. I couldn't believe how good my drums sounded with it. It records video also. If you get a good one used, that doesn't record video, I bet you could get it for around 100 to 200. That might be an option.

Back