Finger technique in groupings of 3's & 4's.

Ive been messing around with triple stroke rolls on my pad. Do folks use triple stroke rolls often, am I hearing them and not realizing?

Personally, I don't use triple strokes ROLLS per se in my playing but I do use triple strokes in various grooves like uptempo jazz grooves or 1&a or 1e& grooves on the hi-hat.

That being said, I'm pretty sure you could find ways to use triple stroke rolls in your drumming.

Ive been messing around with triple stroke rolls on my pad. Do folks use triple stroke rolls often, am I hearing them and not realizing?

A teacher buddy of mine, when I asked about the intro to squib cakes, told me it was triple stroke roll in the beginning going into the tom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvJH0x1CTho

Just thought about that example.

But I love what you can do when you get a triple stroke down. Being self untaught, it only took me about 20 years to figure it out on my own. Oy...but I love what you can do with the trip stroke on the ride and hi hat.

Was blown away years ago watching a Simon Phillips clinic where he discussed his warm up routine of doing singles, doubles, triples, quadruples from slow to fast rolls, streaming them together, trying to make them seamless. It was an epiphany to learn that we could control more than singles or doubles. In fact when my teacher buddy told me it was trip stroke roll, I was like really, thats a thing lol.

Back