How do I know if I'm doing it right?!

grazzi

Hey everyone,
I wouldn't classify myself as a newbie at all. I've been playing drums since I started 5th grade (got my first kit at the end of 6th grade), have taken lessons with a great drum teacher (they just didn't fit in with my busy life anymore :| ) and I can hold a beat and read rythms pretty well. However, I have read a lot of posts here saying "make sure you don't develop the wrong technique!" This has gotten me worried since I took a break during 9th grade since I had no kit then, but this year I have a kit and I've wanted to start playing again, but I want to make sure I'm doing it right! I've started to work on rudiments finally, and last night I began rudiment #1 off the Vic Firth site (single stroke rolls). I noticed good improvement even after just an hour of practicing that, but I started to doubt if I was holding my sticks correctly and if I was really using my wrist instead of my arm to hit with my left hand. Can anyone help me correct myself (if I need correcting at all!) It's been so long since I had drum lessons...
I hold my sticks like this / \ and with them being straight extentions of how I have my arms. If I put the two stick tips together they almost make a 90 degree angle.
Thanks!
Also, if anyone has any good exercises/tips to help my practicing and sharpen my skills, that would be appreciated. ;]

(Geez, I'm sorry for my super long posts. I'm awful at getting right to the point if you can't tell...)

This is next to impossible to judge from an internet post. A vid of you playing would be better, but the BEST of all would be to have a teacher have a look at your grip. I know you say you're busy, but surely one or two lessons won't impede on your lifestyle?

Grips vary from player to player.....matched, trad, German, French, wrist, fingers, how far up/down the stick are all personal variables.....the most important fundamental to all these though (IMO) is a good understanding and use of the fulcrum. Understand how to effectively use that fulcrum point in order to get the stick working for you and the rest comes down to comfort.

If it were me, I'd book myself one or two lessons from a reputable teacher and have him take a look.

I totally agree with Gold Pocket: book a couple of lessons with good teacher.

Since you have a very busy life, a good teacher is going to save your precious time,
prevent you from getting tendinitis, remove those "never ending" doubts.

It is not about what exercise to do. It is about how to do it.

It is not about how your grip looks like. It is about where and how you are adding the
pressures to the stick.

The fulcrum is not just a spot in your hand, but needs to be highlighted.

Another good thing is to practice with a mirror you'll suddenly get a lot of extra information about your technique.

Also, Jojo Mayer's DVD secret weapons for the modern drummer is a great example for good technique. It won't tell you what you're doing wrong though.

The main idea in having a good grip is to let the stick absorb the lions share of the vibrations, suspended in your fingers so your fingers absorb what little vibration is left. In no way do you want the stick mashed against your palm so your hand/wrist/forearm absorbs the shock. There are many different useable grips and peoples hands are all shaped differently, plus musical requirements certainly has some bearing, so as long as your hands/wrists/forearms aren't taking the brunt of the shock, the rest is personal preference.
Simply put, don't hurt yourself to play the drums. That has to be the worst "bad habit" there is. At least with drumming lol.

I struggled with hand technique for a few months after a half-year break from playing. I got quite a lot of wrist pain problems which caused me distress. After a while I realised I had to alter my technique drastically to make my hands more relaxed. A few months ago I got Tommy Igoe's Great Hands for A Lifetime and it is probably my turning point. I've been practising a lot and am more confident that I am making progress.

I play the most simple exercises at very slow tempos and raise them over the weeks (by gradual, small increments to condition the hands.)

Getting a teacher may not help, because the teachers you find may not be good enough to help with technique and you may end up wasting months trying to find one suitable for you. Also, lessons are expensive. If you're willing to bear the costs then go ahead. The DVD costs as much as one lesson and will always be there for you.

Last edited:
Your grip is very important IMO. It is your main interaction with the instrument. And if it is too tight or stressed it can cause problems in the long run. If i wasnt sure i would let an experinced player have a look. A good teacher would be best. I find that drumline teachers are best with grips. They will usually try to push traditional grip on you and that may not be you thing. Its not mine. But they can usually spot any tension.

This is next to impossible to judge from an internet post. A vid of you playing would be better, but the BEST of all would be to have a teacher have a look at your grip. I know you say you're busy, but surely one or two lessons won't impede on your lifestyle?

This is the credited response... :)

Though I think Larry's conclusion is key: there should be no pain on the journey!

Ultimately, I think that if your technique doesn't hurt/injure you and allows you to express all you want to express, it's fine. But, chances are that without a little help along the way, you're going to hit points when you can't progress because your technique is holding you back or because you simply don't know which way to go. That sounds like where you are now. Get some help from someone who has already taken that journey.

Back