Axis vs Trick Driveshaft

Beam Me Up Scotty

Silver Member
Hey all, my Speedcobra double has developed some pretty bad play in the u-joints recently, and so I am now looking for a replacement.

I''m looking at both the Trick and Axis driveshafts, but I don't see any difference between the two. I've tried searching both these driveshafts on the forum, but I can't seem to find anything comparing the two.

So which would you say is of better quality? They both look fantastic, and are a heck of a lot better than my crappy Tama one, so I'd like to see some opinions on which you guys think is of better construction.

I don't typically play a lot of fast double bass, so when I noticed my pedal acting up, I knew it was time to replace the driveshaft.

I am also open to any other recommendations!

Cheers!

My guess is you'll get as many votes for Axis as you will for Trick direct drives but you're going to have to deal with going from chain drives to direct- I know it was a bit of a transition for me (went from Iron Cobra's to Pearl Demons).
Maybe you need to ask if direct drive is the way to go (unless you've tried them out for yourself of course).

My guess is you'll get as many votes for Axis as you will for Trick direct drives but you're going to have to deal with going from chain drives to direct- I know it was a bit of a transition for me (went from Iron Cobra's to Pearl Demons).
Maybe you need to ask if direct drive is the way to go (unless you've tried them out for yourself of course).

Oh I'm not replacing my whole pedal, just the driveshaft/linkage itself.
I don't much care for the feel of a direct drive pedal; strap-drive is actually my favourite, which is why I converted my Speedcobra to that.

Oh I'm not replacing my whole pedal, just the driveshaft/linkage itself.
I don't much care for the feel of a direct drive pedal; strap-drive is actually my favourite, which is why I converted my Speedcobra to that.
Ah, I see. Even to this day I think about going back to the good old chain drive- something about direct just doesn't sit right with me (probably because it's so unforgiving of mistakes) : )

My vote would go to the Trick driveshaft. It's the same one they use on the Pearl Demon Drives, because Pearl licenced the technology. Pretty much zero lag on the slave pedal.

Well, I ended up ordering the Axis Universal Driveshaft. My local Long & McQuade actually isn't able to order the Trick one, so Axis will have to do. Either way, this thing will be leaps and bounds above my crappy Tama driveshaft.

Are there different versions of the Trick drive? Because the one I see on their site says this:

This drive shaft does not fit non-trick brand pedals

My speed cobra and IC shafts have been perfect but if I find the axis UDS on sale I might buy it just to have one. Reviews have been excellent on them for a long time.

Last edited:
They make them to fit pearl, tama etc and there's a separate version available to fit dw so you're prob looking at the wrong web page.

They make them to fit pearl, tama etc and there's a separate version available to fit dw so you're prob looking at the wrong web page.

Ok found it, thanks. Trick "retrofit" drive shafts are what to look for.

I'd advise against the axis driveshaft. I've been using the pedals on two kick drums for years now, the pedals hold up great, but the driveshaft didn't last the first 6 months before multiple tightening points were too stripped to keep from slipping.

Back