Musical artists whose death saddened you.

Re: Musical artists who's death saddened you.

These guys I didn't see mentioned;
Larrie Londin
Richie Hayward
Levon Helm
Warren Zevon
Robert Palmer

Like so many of you;
Jeff Porcaro
Frank Zappa
Freddy Mercury
MCA, Adam Yauch
Cozy Powell
John Bonham
Stevie Ray Vaughn
John Lennon
George Harrison

There really are just to many to mention them all. These folks ALL influenced me.

"If there's a Rock 'n' Roll heaven, then you know they have a hell of a band..."

Keith Moon. That really threw me when I heard it and affected me for a long time. I had only gotten into the Who in early '78, but I fell for his drumming immediately. Who Are You wasn't out yet, and almost none of my friends were listening to them, so I felt like I "owned" them.

John Lennon. I first heard about it from Howard Cosell during Monday Night Football in a dorm quad. That hit me deeply as well, but since everybody seemed to be affected it wasn't the same as Keith Moon for me, which I felt as a personal loss. A few years later I went to the Beatles Museum in Liverpool (which I highly recommend). Very impressive as it starts out with the history of Liverpool, but by the end, your eyes may be a bit misty.

Tony Williams. When I first heard that I felt like someone punched me in the stomach.

There are many more who's death saddened me, but those three stick out.

-John

Keith Moon. That really threw me when I heard it and affected me for a long time. I had only gotten into the Who in early '78, but I fell for his drumming immediately. Who Are You wasn't out yet, and almost none of my friends were listening to them, so I felt like I "owned" them. ...

I can't believe I forgot to mention Moonie, who died just a couple of years before Bonham and Lennon. I "owned" the Who since Squeeze Box came out. I really dug that song when all of my friends hated it (we were pre-teens at the time). Anyway, my older brother had just about all of their albums, then the song and album Who Are You and the movie The Kids Are Alright hooked me completely on Keith Moon. His death really bummed me out.

I can't believe I forgot to mention Moonie, who died just a couple of years before Bonham and Lennon. I "owned" the Who since Squeeze Box came out. I really dug that song when all of my friends hated it (we were pre-teens at the time). Anyway, my older brother had just about all of their albums, then the song and album Who Are You and the movie The Kids Are Alright hooked me completely on Keith Moon. His death really bummed me out.

+1 I can't believe I left Moon out either...

Stevie Ray Vaughan. I was working as a chef on the east coast and the guitar player from the band I was in came bursting into the kitchen to break the news.
Buddy Rich - Heard the news on the car radio. I just remember being very, very sad.
Ritchie Hayward - an idol of mine from the time I was too young to drive... Finally got to meet him about 10 years ago. Feat did a show on Kauai, under a tent in a monster downpour. I walked up to Ritchie after the show. He was super cool.
Joe Morello
Frank Zappa - Just a huge loss.
Jeff Buckley - Oh what might have been...
John Bonham. Like the previous posts, I was heavy into Zep in my teens (stiil am!). I was in 11th grade when he died. A bunch of us hung banners in the school stairwells.
Johnny Cash
Kurt Cobain
Jeff Porcaro
and the one that probably hurt the most, Jaco

Seriously? Only one mention of Ronnie James Dio? This is a musicians forum! Dio, one of the godfathers of metal, one of the best voices in rock. And from everything I've seen of him, a good, good man.

\m/

Janis Joplin
John Bonham
Richie Hayward
Jeff Porcaro
Michael Jackson
Karen Carpenter
Lowell George
Freddie Mercury
Keith Moon
Bon Scott
Ronnie Van Zant
Robert Palmer
Donna Summer
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Amy Winehouse

Some of these I was not around to witness or remember but they're some of my favorite musicians nonetheless. Still saddened by their deaths.

I was only alive for one idol death, Jimmy Sullivan. I'm getting tattoo (his name, birth date and a black dove) in his honor. Others listed below

Dio
Dimebag
Bonham
FREDDIE MERCURY
Randy Rhoads
LOUIE BELLSON

There's a much longer list..

Gosh, where to begin???

All the members from the Jimi Hendrix Experience are now gone.........about half the New York Dolls have moved on......Frank Zappa........list just goes on.

Only one for me.

John Lennon. It still saddens me and pisses me off.

I mean, who the #%!& kills someone like John freaking Lennon?

Seriously? Only one mention of Ronnie James Dio? This is a musicians forum! Dio, one of the godfathers of metal, one of the best voices in rock. And from everything I've seen of him, a good, good man.

\m/

I love Dio, it still saddens me he died, he is way underrated, his work with Rianbow was top notch :)

I hope Gene Kelly counts, surprisingly haven't seen anyone mention him, also Karen Carpenter, they both had beautiful voices.

All are sad but the ones that shocked me stick out more:

John Lennon
Kurt Cobain
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Tony Williams
Marvin Gaye

I'm older and most of the jazz cats I loved in the 50's and 60's are gone from here.
One by one they slipped away. Each had an effect on myself and the broader musical
community. Many jazz musicians I have played with myself have also died and moved on.
We're here a short time really....make the most of it!

Two that hit me hard were Jim Croce and John Denver. Mega talents that went too soon, and always made me feel good.

I'm older and most of the jazz cats I loved in the 50's and 60's are gone from here.
One by one they slipped away. Each had an effect on myself and the broader musical
community. Many jazz musicians I have played with myself have also died and moved on.
We're here a short time really....make the most of it!

you get to see any of those guys play back in the 50s & 60s ?

Kenny Clarke
papa Jo
Shelly Manne
Max
etc.....

In recent times, I was very saddened by the death of Mark Linkous, aka Sparklehorse, who took his own life in 2010. He was someone who projected a great deal of emotional fragility in his music, and his death seemed like a stark confirmation that what makes a person a brilliant artist, capable of improving the mental and emotional well-being of others with their art, can also make them struggle so much in their own life.

Back