Tempos - Too Fast?

The sensible thing to take from this bit of thread diversion is that when we enjoy playing we tend to play better.

Plus if one one is having that enjoyable of a time, it helps convey good energy and is normally good for the overall big picture.

Nothing feels quite like the feeling I get after we played a good gig. I really get off on being a part of well played music.

The sensible thing to take from this bit of thread diversion is that when we enjoy playing we tend to play better.

Plus if one one is having that enjoyable of a time, it helps convey good energy and is normally good for the overall big picture.

In correlation with- If one person in the band has questionable time, the rest can't save it, it'll be reflected by all.- If only one person in the band has good time, that one person will ruin it for the rest of them.

Some of the biggest hits in pop/rock music are not in time, and/or speed up.

As long as everyone speeds up (a little) together, its not a problem. I've put a metronome to many, many songs, less than 1% are in perfect to near perfect time. The good examples will speed up a little, then come back to original (or start) tempo, like the song is breathing. Songs in perfect metronomic time are extremely rare, and even more extremely rare still if one of those examples sound good.

I use an iTouch with Frozen Apes Metronome app .. It cost $2! Also on Android etc. It lets you easily create setlists of meters with adjustable flashing light balls on the screen.. I use it for band practices counting off tunes.. The good thing is there are never ANY disputes about the meter. If we need to speed up or slow down a tune, we decide as a band and that's it.. Everyone realizes they can't beat a machine.. What it does is get you in the right meter zone quickly - but you still have to call up the key melody line of the tune in your head to make sure the groove sits right with the tempo.

Back