Rhys Clark

No I haven't. Sounds like it could be a cool Christmas present though. ;-)

You will love the second disc with the WMMR concert, listened to it all last night.

I think Rhys also used a Blaemire 5x14 snare on the concert. A clone of a Ludwig Jazzfest I believe it was...

If you are in the So Cal area Rhys will be playing at the club I work at this weekend. He won't be playing the Blaemires. His Ludwig kit met an untimely death last year in a car vs trailer accident....The car drove through the trailer his drums were in destroying everyrthing but 1 tom & his Cymbals. The Club I work at is called Cowboy Country in Long Beach.

If you are in the So Cal area Rhys will be playing at the club I work at this weekend. He won't be playing the Blaemires. His Ludwig kit met an untimely death last year in a car vs trailer accident....The car drove through the trailer his drums were in destroying everyrthing but 1 tom & his Cymbals. The Club I work at is called Cowboy Country in Long Beach.

I heard about that... that kit was given to him by Hoyt Axton back in the early 80's when he started playing with him. It was originally a Black Oyster Pearl, but he later had it re-wrapped in black cortex. There is a video on YouTube from 1981 of him playing with Hoyt when it was still BOP.
He did have another set of Ludwigs, a 1966-67 era Hollywood in blue oyster pearl back in the early 70's when he was with Billy Joel. He used them during the 1973-74 Piano Man tour and were seen on his appearance on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert in 1974. Don't know what happened to those, never saw anything of them after that.

If you can, try to get some pictures this weekend please!

He did have another set of Ludwigs, a 1966-67 era Hollywood in blue oyster pearl back in the early 70's when he was with Billy Joel. He used them during the 1973-74 Piano Man tour and were seen on his appearance on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert in 1974. Don't know what happened to those, never saw anything of them after that.

If you can, try to get some pictures this weekend please!

I'll ask him where that kit ended up.....He will be playing a PDP Platinum series kit that I own....I have a webcam running on JustinTV when the band is playing if you want to hear him playing.

Wow, that place is right down the street from me, wish he was playing the Blaemires. BTW, I was just recently at a pawn shop right next door, and found a 1959 Ludwig COB "Super", that was priced as a regular Supraphonic. Couldn't believe I walked out of there only paying $240 for that drum ;-)

Wow, that place is right down the street from me, wish he was playing the Blaemires. BTW, I was just recently at a pawn shop right next door, and found a 1959 Ludwig COB "Super", that was priced as a regular Supraphonic. Couldn't believe I walked out of there only paying $240 for that drum ;-)

I've been at CC off & on for 7 years and only been in that pawn shop ONCE!! Maybe I should drop in there once in a while...

Rhys.jpg

My Drums!!....PDP Platinums.....10, 12, 16 & 22...Chad Smith snare.....10, 16 & 18 Zildjian "A's" 14 new beat hats & a Zildjian Z ride.......DW pedals.........Oh & Rhys behind em...LOL

I asked him about this set.......They were stolen out of his car.

I asked him about this set.......They were stolen out of his car.

Dang, he seems to have bad luck with Ludwigs, lol. Nice pictures, and I checked out the video. Excellent.

40 years ago this month he was playing with Billy Joel at both Mar y Sol (as you can see by his T-shirt) and at Sigma Sound Studios on the radio concert that would put Billy on the map. This concert is on disc 2 of the Piano Man Legacy Edition. He played his Blaemires on both performances.

Bringing this back up, I noticed Billy's 1971-72 band is going to be playing a couple of shows in the NYC/Philly area towards the end of next month. Nice picture of his Blaemires on the ad.

1098176_643993935624230_2058454400_n.jpg

BonzoBonham...Wow thanks for that poster!

Mini thread derail here, I'm sorry but I HAVE to mention this....The trio band that I have been in for the past 3 years? It's called the Don Evans Band. Yep, the same Don Evans credited on the poster. He is the New York guitarist mentioned in post # 6. He played, and is credited on, Billy Joel's first album, and he did the Piano Man tour. Obviously, he knows Rhys and has mentioned him in the past, that's why this thread caught my eye. I wasn't aware of Rhys other than Don mentioning him.

I can't believe I get to play with Don, he is THE best musician I personally know. Thanks for this. I am going to forward a link to this poster to Don. I am not sure if he is the guitarist pictured, as there are 2 guitarists mentioned. I don't think that's Don, but it might be. His looks have changed over the years. I forwarded it to him, and he will tell me if that is him. He should get a huge kick from this poster.

Last edited:
Update, that is not Don pictured, that's Al. Back on topic, Don has remained friends with Rhys and talks to him fairly regularly. They used to be room mates on the road back in the 70's. I just found this out, I just got done speaking w/ Don.

I'm hoping to meet Rhys within the next few days. He is going to be visiting Jerry Jenkins, as he found out that the Jenkins/Martin company has re-created the Blaemire shells/drums. I have to work the next few days, and I'm not sure exactly which day Rhys is going to be there. Stay tuned for some announcements concerning J/M drums and these upcoming shows.

Back