I got me some snares........

I got me some more snares........

Mapex Black Panther "Blaster" 13x7

My latest snare and I gigged it just this weekend gone and I've fallen in love with it, very powerful yet mellow and the overtones are lovely. I'm a big fan of letting a snare drum ring and this one RRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNGGGGGSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

IMG_9121sm.jpg

Mapex Black Panther "Cherrywood" 14x5.5

IMG_9123sm.jpg

Ludwig Elements SE Cherry and Gum Wood hybrid 14x4(I think)

IMG_9128sm.jpg

DW Stave in Californian Red Oakwood 14x6

IMG_9131sm.jpg

Mapex Black Panther Maple 14x8

IMG_9132sm.jpg

DW Maple "Black Rain" 10x6 Popcorn

IMG_9134sm.jpg

DW Neil Peart VLT Maple with Walnut Burl and Sycamore inlay 14x6

IMG_9135sm.jpg

DW Neil Peart VLT Birdseye Maple with Walnut inlay 14x6

IMG_9137sm.jpg

DW Neil Peart Red Snake and Arrows with Gold leaf logos Maple 14x6

IMG_9139sm.jpg

Mapex Black Panther "Hammered" Brass 14x6

IMG_9126sm.jpg

WOW...ozz...I'm glad I don't have that many snares! I'd be too distracted with all of the amazing sounds at my disposal - I might have to try and play them all, every night. Beautiful and unique collection!

So, you've obviously got great tastes. What do you think of the Mapex snares in general? How do they compare to say, any of your DW snares? Do they project an unique character? I've heard others here describe Mapex snares as "boring" and "lacking in character"..."nothing special", etc. I've never played one myself, so I'm curious. They LOOK beautiful and sound great to me on YouTube vids, etc.

Not sure how I missed this, but wow - what a collection!

Big Black Panther snare fan here - sadly I have just 4!

WOW...ozz...I'm glad I don't have that many snares! I'd be too distracted with all of the amazing sounds at my disposal - I might have to try and play them all, every night. Beautiful and unique collection!

So, you've obviously got great tastes. What do you think of the Mapex snares in general? How do they compare to say, any of your DW snares? Do they project an unique character? I've heard others here describe Mapex snares as "boring" and "lacking in character"..."nothing special", etc. I've never played one myself, so I'm curious. They LOOK beautiful and sound great to me on YouTube vids, etc.

I find the Black Panther snares to be of good quality build, excellent tone and the exotic materils they're made f make the snares very unique but affordable.

You can't compare snares against each other as every snare has its own unique character, even if you lined three of the same snare model together, they would all sound different to a degree.

I'm a Black Panther fan, I have 11 BP's and each one a character in they're own but the Blaster is the snare of the moment, so versatile, tuned low for phat rock, and high for funk..... exceptional.

Not sure how I missed this, but wow - what a collection!

Big Black Panther snare fan here - sadly I have just 4!

Thanks mate. What BP's do you have?

Thanks mate. What BP's do you have?

Black Panthers are:
Blaster 13x7"
Steel Mayan / Aztec 14x5.5"
Natural Maple 10x5.5"

I just sold the Bird's Eye 14x5.5", a great snare though.

I also have these two stunning snares:-
Gretsch Rosewood 14x8" Power Snare that I bought new in 1985
Pearl Birch DLX 14x8" (formely belonged to Phil Collins)

There is also a Mapex V Series 14x5.5", which is surprisingly good!

Black Panthers are:
Blaster 13x7"
Steel Mayan / Aztec 14x5.5"
Natural Maple 10x5.5"

I just sold the Bird's Eye 14x5.5", a great snare though.

I also have these two stunning snares:-
Gretsch Rosewood 14x8" Power Snare that I bought new in 1985
Pearl Birch DLX 14x8" (formely belonged to Phil Collins)

There is also a Mapex V Series 14x5.5", which is surprisingly good!

Very nice collection.

I'm looking at selling some of my snares, not entirely made up my mind yet but those ones I'm thinking of selling are because they're not used and/or I've fallen out of love with them due to better snares in the collection.

Nice drums Ozz! I like that Ludwig Elements SE Cherry and Gum Wood hybrid.

And you're going to stop when you get the Supra? suure ya will....;)

Ozz: I'm looking for a wood shell snare with a dry tone and a nice crack to it. I'm sort of loving that Mapex Elm Burl. Would that fit the bill, or if not, which Mapex would you recommend? Thanks.

Favourite Metal Snare - Tama Pat Torpey Signature Snare (it sounds amazing, can't wait to record with it)

How did you get a Pat Torpey signature? I thought those were Japan-exclusive?

Any advice on how to get one is appreciated!

VERY nice snares! I like the Rockett! All those Dw snares, I am jaelous! Especially some of those Peart snares!

I like your collection of different woods. Not all maple or birch, great variety!

I love the look of the Hammered Brass!

I thought I had a snare problem with four!

You should stop when you get an original black beauty!

Supraphonic! I think we all want one....

Only one Sonor and no Yamahas.....tsk tsk....

Well I did have a small 10" Steel popcorn but with the Mapex Stinger, it was kind of duplicated. I sold the 10" Yamaha to a friend who needed a cheap popcorn steel snare.

I do want more Sonor's though!!! And yes, a yamaha is a must.

You should stop when you get an original black beauty!

Supraphonic! I think we all want one....

Why stop at perfection? The real ultimate is to make your own snare, which I'm in the process of right now..... watch this space.

VERY nice snares! I like the Rockett! All those Dw snares, I am jaelous! Especially some of those Peart snares!

I like your collection of different woods. Not all maple or birch, great variety!

I love the look of the Hammered Brass!

I thought I had a snare problem with four!

Thanks mate :eek:)

How did you get a Pat Torpey signature? I thought those were Japan-exclusive?

Any advice on how to get one is appreciated!

Ha ha!!!! Sorry, but that was my reaction............... Yes indeed the Pat snare is only exclusive to Japan. Its a bit of a story, and impressive, but............

I'm a moderator on another drum forum and have interviewed, via email some world class drummers, and I noticed that Mr Big were going to play a one off date in the UK so I got a ticket. A couple of weeks beforehand, I contacted Pat through his website to ask if there was any chance of an interview, he told me that if time permitted then cool. He emailled me the morning of the gig to say be at the venue for 1pm and we can talk. Now I've never interviewed anyone face to face, let alone anyone of drumming pedigree like Pat Torpey!!

So I was a bit wide-eyed walking into the venue, cut to the end of the interview and he showed me round the kit he was playing, and I went straight for the snare and he told me that Tama had asked him to give them specs for his own signature snare and they got it sorted for him and he told me that they are exclusive to Japan and "You can't even by these babies in the USA!!". He played the drums, I took some photos and shook his hand and was invited to hang around to watch the soundcheck, just me the sound-desk operator and Mr Big.................. Humble!!!!

I watched the gig and thought..... "Hmmmmmm, I have a mission on my hands!!!"

I contacted a vendor in Japan who was more than friendly and willing to send me the snare. One Paypal payment later and the snare was mine two weeks later.

PM me and we can swap email adds and I'll forward the email to you if you want.

Ozz: I'm looking for a wood shell snare with a dry tone and a nice crack to it. I'm sort of loving that Mapex Elm Burl. Would that fit the bill, or if not, which Mapex would you recommend? Thanks.

The Elm burl will certainly fit the bill, as would the Cherry Black Panther, it comes with die-cast hoops which tend to give the snare a dry sound but the cherry gives it some crack and tone. And the cherry will redden over time too, should look even lovelier in a few years time.

Nice drums Ozz! I like that Ludwig Elements SE Cherry and Gum Wood hybrid.

And you're going to stop when you get the Supra? suure ya will....;)

Thanks mate. I do love the sound of the Ludwig kit, I'm soon having it wrapped in that famous Ludwig "beatles" black oyster wrap. I do like the orange but with it being a traditional looking kit, you gotta go Ringo!! :eek:)

Back