DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 03-11-2008, 07:01 AM

Default Looking for Lars Ulrich's drum sizes from the 80's

Hey guys, I am having an 80's flashback and am looking to buy a white Tama kit like Lars from Metallica used when he was playing a 9 piece. Any clue on the sizes? Were they Artstars? Does anybody have one for sale? Also,I can't seem to locate my old Modern Drummer mags from that era when he was on the cover to see if anyone has asked him why he scaled his kit down. Any help would be great. Thanks, Arthur
Old 03-11-2008, 07:22 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Looking for Lars Ulrich's drum sizes from the 80's

Use the force Arthur. And if that doesn't work, google might, here: http://www.encycmet.com/equipment/larseq.shtml
Old 03-11-2008, 08:49 AM
PinkZepplin

http://www.encycmet.com/equipment/larseq.shtml

crap, you beat me to the punch
Old 03-12-2008, 06:09 AM

Cool, Thanks! I really want one of those white kits!
Old 03-12-2008, 06:45 AM
Platinum Member

Tama did release a signature kit with black chrome hardware (stands and all), but good luck finding one of those. On the other hand, if "the look" is all you're after, just about any white Cortex double bass kit with ebony reso. heads will give you the look. Have some stands black chromed, or score some RMV hardware and bang, a "psuedo" Lars signature kit.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:24 PM

Thanks! Wow, to have a 16" last tom and two 18" floor toms is so cool. I wish he still played his big kit. I think Mike Portnoy is the only famous drummer who hasn't made his set smaller as the years progress. Sometimes maturity sucks.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:04 PM
Gold Member

Believe me, as a Metallica fanatic, and Lars is my #1 inspiration, I should know this.

Tama Lars Ulrich Signature kit
Granstar II (2)

14x8" Birch Snare Drum
Two 24x16" bass drums
10x10"
12x11"
14x13"
16x15"
two 18x16" floor toms

But correct me if I'm wrong, but according to the TDF, it's an artstar 2. The kit above which is on that encyclomet thing, is wrong.

Here

Tama Lars Ulrich Signature kit Artstar 2 (maple)
White Cortex with custom black granstar lugs
Two 24x16" bass drums
11x10"
12x11"
14x13"
15x14"
two 18x16" floor toms

The Granstar 2 kit was used ONLY in Blackened Justice tour, and ...And justice for all album. Lars used a Gretsch set in recording in the studio for The Black Album, and used an Artstar 2 (the one posted above) for live gigs.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:06 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurk1 View Post
Thanks! Wow, to have a 16" last tom and two 18" floor toms is so cool. I wish he still played his big kit. I think Mike Portnoy is the only famous drummer who hasn't made his set smaller as the years progress. Sometimes maturity sucks.
Vinnie Paul , he has and still is using 2 up, 1 down, 2 basses, and one snare.

And Mike has many kits. Sometimes during gigs he uses a double pedal!

Last edited by metal overlord; 03-13-2008 at 03:09 AM.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:31 PM

Thanks, you guys are the best. I have cash if anybody knows of one of the white with black hardware kits for sale. I really want one!! I might even trade one of my DW kits for one but most metal guys don't play dw, but i will pay cash!
Old 03-14-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
Tama did release a signature kit with black chrome hardware (stands and all), but good luck finding one of those. On the other hand, if "the look" is all you're after, just about any white Cortex double bass kit with ebony reso. heads will give you the look. Have some stands black chromed, or score some RMV hardware and bang, a "psuedo" Lars signature kit.
I did see a "stage used" Lars' kit up for sale on e-bay few months ago... pricy though. I think it went for something like 8K... Lars used and on TV but still...

Man, I remember that signature kit being advertised in MD mag during the 80's. Growing up listening to Metallica, boy did I want one.

The kit I really dug though was his gun metal gray/black kit. Awesome looking kit.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:08 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalloy View Post
I did see a "stage used" Lars' kit up for sale on e-bay few months ago... pricy though. I think it went for something like 8K... Lars used and on TV but still...

Man, I remember that signature kit being advertised in MD mag during the 80's. Growing up listening to Metallica, boy did I want one.

The kit I really dug though was his gun metal gray/black kit. Awesome looking kit.

Hell yeah, I loved the sound and look of that one.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:14 PM
Platinum Member

I'm not a huge Lars or Tama fan, but that white & black kit did sound really good.

I have Metallica at the Freddie Mercury tribute concert, and his drums on that just sound so good, and HUGE.

That was before Lars started using those Ahead sticks though.
Those things have done nothing good for his sound (IMO).

That concert had Matt Sorum with GNR too, and he was playing with those Aheads, but the one song he didn'tuse them on sounded way better.
You can hear a big difference.

Good luck, hope you find one of those kits!
Maybe you can score one of those banners too!
Old 03-14-2008, 10:14 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurk1 View Post
Thanks, you guys are the best. I have cash if anybody knows of one of the white with black hardware kits for sale. I really want one!! I might even trade one of my DW kits for one but most metal guys don't play dw, but i will pay cash!
For a kit like that it'd be in the range of $5k.

Or, you could just get a white Starclassic Maple with black hardware. Sure it'd be a teeny bit more expencive, but it's better than the Sig kit (Virgin bass, better shell making), and a hell of alot easier to find.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:24 PM
Platinum Member

But then the shells wouldn't be the same, and he couldn't get the sound he wants.

Those shells were pretty beefy, and a LOT thicker than Star Classics.

You know, those (W&B) drums had mounts right on the drum, and those big toms on the bass drums without any problems.

Not tryin' to start anything, I'm just sayin'.....
Old 03-20-2008, 02:01 AM

Iwas looking at the Tama catalog and thinking maybe putting one together from one of their lower lines. I would NOT use starclassics because I imagine they don't sound anything like those old drums he used do? Does anyone know of any interviews with Lars where he talks about using a smaller kit? I found the 91 concert of Metallica in Russia and he was just bashing back there with his long hair and they were still Alcoholica, which was a good thing, then I watched Woodstock 99 and watched him sleep through all of the fills on Seek and Destroy! I call it " stadiumizing" because he realized that his fills got lost in the mix, so why play them, but US drummers want to know he is playing them just like the record. I shouldn't dog Lars, because I totally love him, but I just don't see his reasoning on that one. thanks
Old 03-20-2008, 04:17 AM
Gold Member

If you want thinker maple shells, I'de look at Pearl. I think one of their Masters Maple lines has a 10 ply? Not sure, but that would be big, loud, and beefy.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:56 AM

No, I certainly want tama, I just want to closer to what he was playing in the early days, like up until he went to the Starclassics. I am just sick of playing a 6 piece and wanted a second kit that is a big one. I might even go for a big Dave Lombardo type kit. I have seen a few older Imperialster kits on ebay here recently which would be awesome, but I really want that Black and white, 4 toms up front, with a 15 or 16" tom as the last one. It was so fxxXXXXXXX cool to barely be able to see Lars head back there when he played those. I have cash in hand!

Last edited by NUTHA JASON; 03-23-2008 at 07:49 PM.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal overlord View Post
Believe me, as a Metallica fanatic, and Lars is my #1 inspiration, I should know this.

Tama Lars Ulrich Signature kit
Granstar II (2)

14x8" Birch Snare Drum
Two 24x16" bass drums
10x10"
12x11"
14x13"
16x15"
two 18x16" floor toms

But correct me if I'm wrong, but according to the TDF, it's an artstar 2. The kit above which is on that encyclomet thing, is wrong.

Here

Tama Lars Ulrich Signature kit Artstar 2 (maple)
White Cortex with custom black granstar lugs
Two 24x16" bass drums
11x10"
12x11"
14x13"
15x14"
two 18x16" floor toms

The Granstar 2 kit was used ONLY in Blackened Justice tour, and ...And justice for all album. Lars used a Gretsch set in recording in the studio for The Black Album, and used an Artstar 2 (the one posted above) for live gigs.
Unless it's a typo above, he never used an 11" tom; they were 12,13, 14 & 15 mounted toms. Phil Gould is the only person I ever saw using an 11" tom. When LU changed it was 10, 12, 14 & 16. I remember both kits well as I saw them on the Justice tour and was a fan well before that when he was still using the chrome Superstar kit with red bd hoops.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:04 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
Unless it's a typo above, he never used an 11" tom; they were 12,13, 14 & 15 mounted toms. Phil Gould is the only person I ever saw using an 11" tom. When LU changed it was 10, 12, 14 & 16. I remember both kits well as I saw them on the Justice tour and was a fan well before that when he was still using the chrome Superstar kit with red bd hoops.
Oh it was a typo, sorry. I didn't realize that. And I messed up, I didn't know it was 12,13,14,15. Thanks for correcting me.

Last edited by metal overlord; 03-21-2008 at 06:17 AM.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:09 AM
metal overlord
This message has been deleted by metal overlord.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:13 AM
metal overlord
This message has been deleted by metal overlord.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:46 AM

hey hello I want to know is you sell this kits Tama Lars Ulrich let me know how much you sell you durms think you

Quote:
Lombardo type? Well, now it depends on how much you want to spend.
You can get some nice big kits like that if you know how to search. But you have to be willing to pay.

This is pretty much what it'll look like If you go Lars.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:52 PM

Alright, I know this by heart because I am actually hunting down the entire thing. Lars' touring kit from 89-93 before being scaled down was a Tama Granstar, 2x 24x16 Bass Drums, 2x 18x16 Floor Toms, 12x11, 13x12, 14x13, and 15x14 Tom Toms, and a 8x14 Birch Snare. He had 2 sets of Hi-Hats at that time for the ease of playing ...And Justice For All, and One. Those were 14" Z Dyno Beat Hi-Hats, and 13" Z Dyno Beat Hi-Hats. The cymbal sizes I have written down somewhere but don't know them by heart yet.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
When LU changed it was 10, 12, 14 & 16.

If your referring to his current Starclassic Maple kit, his floor toms are (Dia/Depth): 16"x14" and 16"x16"

Quote:
And I messed up, I didn't know it was 12,13,14,15.
It's funny how everybody claims their isn't enough pitch difference between a rack tom set up like that. You know how we hear all those overtones and sustain while we drum, but the audience doesn't? I think it is the other way around when it comes to pitch difference, and of course tuning will make a huge difference. If you go on youtube and watch Lars Ulrich and Dave Lombardo, you might just see how much pitch difference you can get.

One of the big drum manufactures need to mass produce 9", 11", 17", 19", and 20" toms! If one of the major ones start, the head companies will have to as well; simply because if Remo did and Evans didn't, Evans wouldn't be able to sell heads to someone who has the sizes they don't make (Domino Affect). Most likely, the hype over the new trend would cause other drum manufacturers to start as well.

I'd personally prefer these sizes over anything else:
Rack Toms (Diameter x Depth)
12"x7"
13"x8"
14"x9"
15"x10"
Floor Toms
17"x15"
19"x16"
Bass Drum (x2)
24"x15"

Last edited by Owens; 08-27-2009 at 03:14 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:43 AM

I'm a Lars fanatic and I always thought he used 12x11 13x12 14x13 16x15 18x16 18x16 24x16 24x16. I know he used tama's imperial star (mahogany) on kill em all. In later 80s he used a tama white granstar (birch) with black hardware. Known as the black Album kit. There's a web site with all this info on it. Just go to google and type in Lars drum kit sizes and it should be the first website that pops up. If you can't find it... You can pretty much find this information on any website.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by militia814 View Post
I'm a Lars fanatic ..... You can pretty much find this information on any website.
Or ...... you could simply look at the 2nd and 3rd post to this thread. The link still works.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:15 AM

Google The Artstar II , Im about to buy a blue one, and theres a white one with black hardware for sale for a great price.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:21 PM

I remember seeingt he "Lars Ulrich signature kit" in modern drummer in 1992. It was the Granstar. I remember thinking , why not a wider second floor tom? I always loved the sound of his snare!

I remember seeing it advertised for $10,000! Black hardware, Black bottom heads, if i won the lottery back then, I would have bought it.

Yes, as discussed by previous poster , seeing him not do "seek and destroy" fills, seemed like a half a**ed attempt at playing the song.

The "monsters of rock" live video from russia, with pantera is an excellent example of Harvestor of Sorrow, in my opinion.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:46 PM

I am sorry to bring up an old thread like this but as it contains so many wrong elements to the actual truth I feel I must correct this.

1982: Camco maple finish with lots of toms + rototoms
1983: Camco but painted black and now double bass. Used on Kill'em'all.
1984: Camco stolen in Boston. He borrows a Slingerland from Anthrax and gets a restored Ludwig from Music for nations in Europe. Used on Lightning with a Tama steel snare. Qprime management helps getting Lars the Tama sponsorship and get a chrome covered Tama Imperialstar. The sizes from 1984 -1990: 12,13,14,15 and 18 ,18 with 24 inch bass drums.

1985: For Puppets sessions Tama Superstar. Wine red in Europe and chrome covered in US. Black beauty snare (Def Leppard) on Puppets album.

1987 Garage days EP Tama Superstar chrome covered. Lars is seen in ads with Tama Granstar in white! Plays Donnington UK with the chrome covered Superstar

1988: Superstar bass drums from chrome covered kit. The rest is Granstar custom for toms but mixed colours for Justice recording.
Justice tour is Tama Granstar Custom in custom colour and black hardware.
1990 Tama Granstar Custom white which should have been the first option but he went with Tama Artstar II with Granstar single lugs.
1991-1994 Tama Artstar II size change 10,12,14,16 and 18,18 still 24 bass drums. He scales the kit down around 1994 to 2 rack toms upfront.

After that he goes with Starclassic. That is how the real list looks like. Granstar II was never public and I have yet to see a picture confirm it. Tama once listed Lars as playing one when he was doing the Black album tour with Artstar II. 

Now it used to be just anybodys guess what drums Lars had played so far online. I did my own research and made it public mostly on the Tama forum. I have since noticed the general information change regarding Lars's former kits towards it.

1982: Pretty much all photos show a maple Camco kit. Last of the line and bought at west coast drums in LA US. He even took some lessons. Information from the Modern drummer magazine 1987.
1983: Metallica moves to SF and spends 3 months to get money before the move. Lars get's another bass drum and paints the kit black. The extra bass drum comes from the Modern drummer magazine 1996. This is all done before the Stone gig presented in Cliff'em'all.
1984: In Boston everything gets stolen exept guitars and bass. Anthrax loans them gear. This is public Metallica story. A small bit of Metallica playing in Paris shows Lars playing Charlies Slingerland kit. It is on youtube. As for the Ludwig seen on the back of Lightning was more of a unknown fact but on the thank you list you see Bazz Ward from John Henry in UK (S.I.R in US). I got my drums from them so I asked and was told Bazz restored the Ludwig for Lars and the label Music for nation helped out. Qprime helps Lars get in touch with Tama and the Imperial star kit is best seen in Cliff'em'all on the last gig before flying to Copenhagen. It is also pictured on the back of Puppets twice! All Imperial star kits had the zola coating inside at the time which is pretty clear for anyone to see.

1985: Metallica end the lightning tour with the day of the green gig. Then of to Copenhagen to record Puppets. They do 2 gigs Metal Hammer and Donnington and here you can see the wine red Tama Superstar. It was presented well in Cliff'em'all. The story of the black beauty snare from Rick Alen Def Lepard is also rather public. Notice the picture of Kirk on Puppets. The wine red Superstar at Donnington.

1986: Modern drummer gives great information about the US and EU Tama Superstar kits + the white Tama Artstar I he used in Japan. Most likely to save on shipping costs.

1987: Circus magazine has Lars in ads with the new Tama Granstar line. When doing a search for Donnington festivals you can see the chrome covered Superstar in UK for that gig. The photos from the Garage days EP shows the same kit.

1988: He liked the bass drum sounds from the covered Superstar and used the a mix of the latest Tama Granstar Custom toms. This info comes from another drum magazine from that time.

As for the Justice tour the details were clearly given in Modern drummer and Ross Halfin took great Monsters of rock picture of the Granstar Custom including the badge. The kit can be seen also in the year and half videos but with chrome hardware.

1990: Very short European tour only. Bootleg videos and pictures shows a white Granstar Custom. One closeup shows rubber gaskets under the single lugs.

1991 Tama Artstar II and the information got published in Modern drummer and So What the fan club magazine.

The above is the true findings facts of what Lars played so far in my personal research.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:12 PM

There is a white with black hardware kit for sale on ebay
if you have an extra $6k laying around
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lars-Ulrich-...kAAOSwB-1Yo1yi
Old 02-25-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedmett View Post
The sizes from 1984 -1990: 12,13,14,15 and 18 ,18 with 24 inch bass drums.

1991-1994 Tama Artstar II size change 10,12,14,16 and 18,18 still 24 bass drums.
Hey, The sizes you mensioned here, is that the diameter. If so could you also give me the the depths please.
Thanks.
Old 02-28-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumfreak999 View Post
Hey, The sizes you mensioned here, is that the diameter. If so could you also give me the the depths please.
Thanks.
depth x diameter:
11x12
12x13
13x14
14x15
16x18
16x18
16x24
16x24

10x10
11x12
13x14
15x16 (imagine this size over a 24 bass drum...)
16x18
16x18
16x24
16x24
Old 02-28-2018, 07:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spelman View Post
depth x diameter:

No need to imagine, here's an image:

The drums have to be tilted at such a steep angle that they are basically facing you head on:

Old 02-28-2018, 09:01 PM
Platinum Member

It's been 10 years. You think the OP ever found what he wanted?
Old 02-28-2018, 09:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
It's been 10 years. You think the OP ever found what he wanted?
Probably not.

Old 03-07-2018, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spelman View Post
Originally Posted by spelman View Post
depth x diameter:

I have an old Tama rockstar kit with rack toms sizes 10,12,14,16 (yes 16x15)and 18"flr
2-22kicks
Its awesome
Old 03-10-2018, 08:31 PM
Silver Member

I think his best kits were the Granstar Customs in the grey with the black hardware. Granstars and Artstars were Tama's best looking, and arguably drums. To this day, there is noting close to distinctly impressive look of the shark tooth lugs, separated, or long.

My dad helped me take out a small loan as a 16 year old so that I could buy my Tama drumkit. This also taught me about credit and responsibility. Hahaha.

At the time, my two favorite groups were Metallica and Anthrax. I really dug both Charlie and Lars and really wanted one of those kits. I almost ordered a kit more like Lars, but I went with a 9 piece black Granstar, (with a rack at the time) like Charlie's kit. I still have them. And they still sound great. I kind of wish I went with 24" bass drums though. I have 10,12,13,14,16,18, & 22" (x2) bass drums.

The Artstars are pretty nice too. I picked up a 4 piece Artstar Customs, (no snare) in a beautiful British Racing Green stain for $500 on CL. Hahaha.
Attached Images

Old 03-10-2018, 10:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Bull View Post
I think his best kits were the Granstar Customs in the grey with the black hardware. Granstars and Artstars were Tama's best looking, and arguably drums. To this day, there is noting close to distinctly impressive look of the shark tooth lugs, separated, or long.
Yeah I agree completely. Best looking lug by far and the bass hoop claws were a work of art to match perfectly with the lug. Tama should of stayed with that...... Starclassics would look so much cooler with this lug IMO.