Scott Rockenfield

IAN - W -

Rebel
The first time I heard Queensryche drummer - Scott Rockenfield - playing, I was impressed with his style, ride patterns and hi-hat work, in example on the song "Before The Storm". I think is fair, to bring his work up to the forum.

Comments? thanks fellows.

Attachments

• ScottGeoff.jpg
    ScottGeoff.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 8,947
I'd definitely have to agree with you! He doesn't get nearly as much accolades as he deserves! I've seen Queensryche about 3 times and every time he just amazes me with his skill and technique!
Good call on this one!

It's important to analyze and highlight every drummer's style, and their contribution to the drumming world. Sometimes the trend is towards the best, the famed, the speedest, the showest, the technical drummers - leaving left behind or to one side, humble drummers with an whole lot to show!

Thanks for your input.

When I was 20, my goal in life was to BE Scott Rockenfield.

I've always loved the way he found the exact 1/2 way point between over the top Neil Peart and pounding AC/DC style.

He always seemed to know when to throw in the chops, and when to simplify and just drive the band with 2 & 4.

Although on the last few albums, he's gotten away from trying to come up interesting parts.

A few years ago, I went to an autograph signing, and brought a poster of him with the huge Tama kit (from the Empire era), and he said he didn't even have a copy of that poster! He was impressed I not only had one, but had kept it all these years.

Whoa! very interesting - thanks - for being open and to share your life experience. Did you achieve that goal?

The Warning, Operation Mindcrime, Empire are amazing albums.

When I was 20, my goal in life was to BE Scott Rockenfield.

I've always loved the way he found the exact 1/2 way point between over the top Neil Peart and pounding AC/DC style.

He always seemed to know when to throw in the chops, and when to simplify and just drive the band with 2 & 4.

Although on the last few albums, he's gotten away from trying to come up interesting parts.

A few years ago, I went to an autograph signing, and brought a poster of him with the huge Tama kit (from the Empire era), and he said he didn't even have a copy of that poster! He was impressed I not only had one, but had kept it all these years.

Whoa! very interesting - thanks - for being open and to share your life experience. Did you achieve that goal?

The Warning, Operation Mindcrime, Empire are amazing albums.

Well, not in playing a financially successful band, or in band that had all the great elements of Queensryche (although not for a lack of trying).

But I've always kept in mind remembering to keep a driving 2 & 4, even when (if) using chops. And now I'm (trying) to write my own material, which is incorporating some of the elements of what I loved about those albums. The Warning, Rage for Order, Operation Mindcrime, Empire, & Promised Land.

Back