Need some Easter music help

brady

Platinum Member
Hey all,

I'm looking for some guidance on what to do for my church's Easter Sunday music. I'm fairly new to this church (not drums or church drumming) but the music director insists she wants drums for this choral meditation stuff.

I haven't been given any guidance other than "I'm sure you can come up with something." Personally, I don't think this music needs or requires drums.

Here is what she sent...other than the odd cymbal swell, I'm not sure what to contribute to this.

http://www.northwestmusic.ca/product/203121904002/#product-media

If any of you guys have a similar experience or have had to provide percussion of some sort for music like this, I would love to hear your ideas.

If you're playing for Easter, there's only one thing for it...play cross stick.

I'm here til Thursday...try the veal!

I agree with you - this is not drum kit material.

Occasional cymbal swells leading into a new section, maybe a triangle on the last note of a song. Or a glockenspiel note. Perhaps some swirling brushes or snare drum rolls or a quiet marching pattern in a more rhythmic song.

But really its slow choir pieces with flowing strings and occasional flute, so no ‘beats’ as such. Orchestral percussion maybe, but not kit..

I was also thinking orchestral. I would discreetly use the mallets on the floor tom and cymbal swells in required areas, but would mostly stay out of the way.

Back