Tre' Cool

Re: Tre' Cool?

southpawNotadrummer said:
Also, there was a noticeable difference between him and John/Al, the previous drummer featured on tracks 13-16 of Kerplunk. That was a total change in drummers, and a subsequent change, however minor, in sound and outcome.
Yeah Tre taught John how to play for the band "Sweet Children" now known as Green Day with Tre Cool. I just don't understand why people would bash his playing he's not looking to be the best drummer or whatever. He just plays for the music and what's not to respect about that? people think he sucks but he's awesome

PHP:
ok John and Danny are different then what Tre plays and Green Day is not really speed

i wasnt talking about speed. speed doesnt mean anything. alot of people judge drummers on how fast a drummer is. like for example joey jordison. he is very overated. im just replying to some people who say hes really talented, which he is in certain aspects, but not anything to brag about

i usually dont judge bands by drummers but this is a drummer forum so i thought i bring it out. i listen to bands as a whole more than anything

I'm gonna be honest and some people might wanna jump down my throat for this one but I think Tre Cool is very reminisent of Keith Moon. Think about it, the intensity, the number of fills, the anticts. I also think that is what's missing from rock now a days. I think Tre deserves the respect he gets, cause like them or not Green Day is the band of this generation. When kids who grew up between the years of 1993 and now look back Green Day will be what we where represented by. As far as I'm concerned that's fine.

i back you up about 99%, only disagreeing in that i think kieth moon improvised a lot more in concert. green day sound just like on cd live, from what i see. anyhow, although much of tre cools drumming seems simple, it is fast and fun to play. and his sticks are pretty darn heavy, gave me about a million blisters when i tryed to play basket case with them. back to me old 5Bs. the music green day listened to as kids were (i suspect, correct me if i'm wrong) ramones, sex pistols and the like. and tre drums like all the ramones drummers did, especially marky. i think it's just the style he has a passion for, so it's one of these cases where we may never know how good he is.

ewanlaing said:
i back you up about 99%, only disagreeing in that i think kieth moon improvised a lot more in concert. green day sound just like on cd live, from what i see. anyhow, although much of tre cools drumming seems simple, it is fast and fun to play. and his sticks are pretty darn heavy, gave me about a million blisters when i tryed to play basket case with them. back to me old 5Bs. the music green day listened to as kids were (i suspect, correct me if i'm wrong) ramones, sex pistols and the like. and tre drums like all the ramones drummers did, especially marky. i think it's just the style he has a passion for, so it's one of these cases where we may never know how good he is.
I think Marky is an awesome drummer he deosn't just play punk I've seen some video's of marky playing alone and It's great same goes for Tre!

Tony Rockyhorror said:
I'm gonna be honest and some people might wanna jump down my throat for this one but I think Tre Cool is very reminisent of Keith Moon. Think about it, the intensity, the number of fills, the anticts. I also think that is what's missing from rock now a days. I think Tre deserves the respect he gets, cause like them or not Green Day is the band of this generation. When kids who grew up between the years of 1993 and now look back Green Day will be what we where represented by. As far as I'm concerned that's fine.

Actually, I believe there is a connection between the two...also, The Who are one of the bands Green Day are very into, they have a cover of My Generation on their second album (ironically, drummed by John Kiffmeyer and not Tré...). So it shouldn't be any surprise, nor should anyone take it as a bad thing, because it's one of their very aims (conscious or subconscious...)

ewanlaing said:
have to stop you there. ramones did it first. green day did it better IMO

I'm sorry. I meant the second time around. Before them, yes there were the Ramones, but that was a while before, and up until Green Day came around, everyone in the mainstream had forgotten about punk/pop-punk. The current pop-punk bands aren't out there as direct result of the Ramones, but of Green Day. Oh yes, and of course if you think Green Day was better, it'd probably because the sound had had the time to develop. Green Day take a lot of influence from The Ramones. (As well as, as it has been said, the Who, the Kinks, the Clash, David Bowie, etc...)

ah, i see what you mean. yes i agree. i think tre cool is a solid rock drummer overall. some people dismiss his stuff as easy, but it goes well with their songs. and to be honest, what some poeple may find easy, some younger drummers may find hard. up untill last year i found green day pretty challenging to play.

Okay i started this thread, and have read through a LOT of opinions. This is my point of view. Sure solid drummer.... but honestly how can you not when you have been playing that long, with that simple of music. I hate the fact he is talked about "oo fast fills"... sorry but his fills don't impress me, especially with the simplicity of them. The mere fact of him having dynamics is balogna to me. You know all he does is hit hard most the time, while the stage crew just turns his volume down haha... Sure catchy music, but to me it is crape... I have absolutly no respect for that band.
peace
ps yes i do know i said crape, and not crap, cuase i was being respectfull, crape is basically a black veil, worn over someones face, which i would do if i was tre' cool, cause i would be embarrassed.
Oh yeah, before i forget...Since when was it not for the love of music anymore, and just for money? I just realized that, sure he may not care, that's because he is a sell-out. So screw that excuse.

well if he would focus on drumming technique instead of fashion sense i might could stomach it, but then again if he was better...then all the rest of his bandmates would be really, really bad!!! i guess he's just like ringo, in the back keeping a beat! but as i have always said,"the BEST musicians are selling car insurance"!!!

yeah, people shouldn't be impressed by the speed of his fills anymore, and they are all basically just 4 snare, 4 tomtom, 4 floor tom, crash. pretty dull. and he has been playing for ages, but i still wouldn't call him bad. there are plenty of worse punk drummers out there. and plenty of better ones (steve jocz, travis barker.)

ewanlaing said:
ah, i see what you mean. yes i agree. i think tre cool is a solid rock drummer overall. some people dismiss his stuff as easy, but it goes well with their songs. and to be honest, what some poeple may find easy, some younger drummers may find hard. up untill last year i found green day pretty challenging to play.

how can you find any of that stuff challenging? unless youve just been playing for a month

Can we please stop bashing? He's a pro drummer and therefore (with some exceptions, but certainly not him) he must be up to something. Whether or not you like the music we don't need mindless 'he sucks' posts up.

Dannar said:
Tre is a perfect example of a less is more style drummer. He doesn't overplay, because if he did, it would make Green Day sound too cluttered.

I agree with that statement. Tre is not on my favorites list. Infact sometimes I think he does too much for my taste. I really like when he slows down. He has a natural ability to place fills in spots that aren't needed but sound so good when he does. Hey...he is making a bunch of cash playing the drums. Thats where most of us would like to be. That right there says that he is good and is in demand for what the music companies want to hear these days. Good for him!

Zildjian232 said:
how can you find any of that stuff challenging? unless youve just been playing for a month
i think thats a tad pompous (spelling). not everyone picks the drums up so quickly. statements like that may just put people off.

is his name really Tré cool he may be a good drummer but i can play every song on the american idiot album (i gave up pop and green day when i heard slayer) but some of the fills are pretty cool and i admire the drumming on hte song novacaine when the heavier part of the song comes on i still cant figure out what hes playing but whateva i dont mind Tré except his name i dont evan have to tell you why "Tré Cool" is getting bashed

If you want speed listen to slayer i used to green day is fast before i heard slayer and i discobered BLAST BEATS theyre insane gotta try em

Last edited:

Slayer_metal_head said:
(i gave up pop and green day when i heard slayer)

Why? Do they make you hand over all your CDs when you join the Metal Club or something? I have CDs in my collection by Death, Pantera, Strapping Young Lad, Meshuggah, Dillinger Escape Plan and all sorts of others. I also have hip-hop, punk, funk, jazz, blues, rock, soul, pop, dance music, folk music...

You don't just have to like one kind of thing, you know. It's possible to enjoy both for different things.

finnhiggins said:
Why? Do they make you hand over all your CDs when you join the Metal Club or something? I have CDs in my collection by Death, Pantera, Strapping Young Lad, Meshuggah, Dillinger Escape Plan and all sorts of others. I also have hip-hop, punk, funk, jazz, blues, rock, soul, pop, dance music, folk music...

You don't just have to like one kind of thing, you know. It's possible to enjoy both for different things.

I listen to Slayer too... and even Cryptopsy... but it is definately worth expanding your horizons, I also, for instance listen to Mozart. Broaden your horizons man!

Back