New Lesson - Groups of 3/5/7/9 - Fills, Grooves and Odd-Time Grooves

Yeah, it is a good lesson you put together. I especially liked the groups of 7 no matter if it was playing the toms, double bass, playing a beat or an odd time. Very cool way of adding some technique and chops to drumming.

Kalma,
that's a great video tutorial you've made! Very useful stuff, and I like odd signature. You demonstrate cool ways to incorporate the (double) bass drum pedal.

It's cool to see people taking the time to do tutorials like that. Thanks!

Thanks!

Yes, 20" :)
What do you mean by depths?
I have thin toms, I played a delite a few times and did not really like the sound of vintage shells..
Sorry, I mixed up two questions and made it one. I meant:

-What are the tom depths (what Arky said)?
-Do you have thin and/or medium shells (like Gavin who has medium floor toms...)

I like that you're playing 20", I went from 22" to 20" recently, too, and it rocks!
Easier to lug, easier to tune, easier to play :)!

I have a delite, and I love the sound! Yours sounds beautiful as well of course, though.

Gemeint ist die "Kesseltiefe"...

Drums/toms are measured in diameter x depth.

Oh, was confused by "tom depths
or are those vintage shells"

I don't know. I have 8*7, 10*8, 12*9, and 14*13, 16*15
I liked the rack-tom sizes as that are the sizes of my first drumset (sonor force 2001). It has 14*14 and 16*16 floortoms which were to heavy for me. But 14*12 and 16*14 had a lack of volume in my opinion so I chose 14*13 and 16*15

Sorry, I mixed up two questions and made it one. I meant:

-What are the tom depths (what Arky said)?
-Do you have thin and/or medium shells (like Gavin who has medium floor toms...)

I like that you're playing 20", I went from 22" to 20" recently, too, and it rocks!
Easier to lug, easier to tune, easier to play :)!

I have a delite, and I love the sound! Yours sounds beautiful as well of course, though.

Ah ok :D

I like 20" bassdrums - especially when it comes to travel ... :D Way better to transport (space/weight). And I like the feeling of a 20" bassdrum more than a of a twentytwo..

Last edited:
And I like the feeling of a 20" bassdrum more than a of a twenty..
So I'm not the only one producing funny sentences, LOL!

Your floor tom sizes are very interesting! I'd love to play those for a comparison!
So do the 14x13 and 16x15 rather compare to x12 and x14 or x14 and x16 in terms
of feel and sound?

In Switzerland I often see Force 2001 sets for sale. I'm considering one as a set
for my students, but it's more because a) they're Sonor and b) I like the blue finish, haha :).

So I'm not the only one producing funny sentences, LOL!

Your floor tom sizes are very interesting! I'd love to play those for a comparison!
So do the 14x13 and 16x15 rather compare to x12 and x14 or x14 and x16 in terms
of feel and sound?

In Switzerland I often see Force 2001 sets for sale. I'm considering one as a set
for my students, but it's more because a) they're Sonor and b) I like the blue finish, haha :).

Damn.. it's definitely to early here :D

Hm.. I would say they rather to x14 and x16..
The sound is something between both sizes but way more power than x12 and x14.

The blue finish is nice! Mine was blue too until I put new veneer on it :D :)

David....excellent tutorial on groupings! I have been working on these groupings for a few weeks now and appreciate how you demonstrated them in so many useful ways.

Thanks
Pete

Gemeint ist die "Kesseltiefe"...

Drums/toms are measured in diameter x depth.

Acutally - the greater consensus has classicly been (generally) depth x diameter

Though there has never been a 100% approved and followed method. So you can't really call someone up on how they present it ;)

Acutally - the greater consensus has classicly been (generally) depth x diameter

Though there has never been a 100% approved and followed method. So you can't really call someone up on how they present it ;)

Not sure about this!
In germany the default way to name shell-sizes is diameter x depth.
Maybe it's depth x diameter in america :)
who cares :D

@Pete: Thank you a lot :) I'm happy you got some new ideas :)

Last edited:
Not sure about this!
In germany the default way to name shell-sizes is diameter x depth.
Maybe it's depth x diameter in america :)
who cares :D

@Pete: Thank you a lot :) I'm happy you got some new ideas :)

Really, it's both. Just so long as you don't use metric....ha ha! Bad joke!

On the serious side, it's amazes me how one inch of depth either way can make that much difference on a floor tom, but it does apparently.

Hey Guys,

check out my latest lesson :)
In this lesson I talk talk about groups of 3, 5, 7 and 9!
I'll give you some examples of fills, grooves and later I'll give you a little introduction into developing odd-time grooves.

Hope you enjoy :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soTj56luZHU

David

Excellent work, David. Clear, straightforward and some nice examples of practical application. Decent production value, too.

Back