Have you ever thought of using Metal Sticks

Curly

I know there are a lot of different Ideas on Metal Sticks, I gave it some thought and I chose to make my own. So into my shop I went and come up with the following Stick for PRACTICE ONLY, On a Pillow or Box just to build the Arms and wrist. I made up a set of 16" solid Aluminum Sticks 9/16" round. Each Stick weighs 8 oz each and are sweet to handle. I think using a heavy weight for about 20 minutes and then going to your favorite wood stick will help the warm up and build speed. Let me know what you guys think now as I am very new to this. Cheers. Curly

Attachments

• Drum Sticks2.jpg
    Drum Sticks2.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 176
Metal practice sticks go back about 40 years with ProMrak's Duralumin model. Curently, Power Wrist Builders offers multiple sizes and materials/weights and I believe they're the leader in 'weighted' sticks. Their largest brass sticks weigh 792g (1lb 12oz) each... I love them! I have 5 different pairs, and the routine is to go from the lightest to heaviest, then to regular sticks.

That's not to say you can't lathe round stock and make some great sticks at home... :)

Bermuda

Metal practice sticks go back about 40 years with ProMrak's Duralumin model. Curently, Power Wrist Builders offers multiple sizes and materials/weights and I believe they're the leader in 'weighted' sticks. Their largest brass sticks weigh 792g (1lb 12oz) each... I love them! I have 5 different pairs, and the routine is to go from the lightest to heaviest, then to regular sticks.

That's not to say you can't lathe round stock and make some great sticks at home... :)

Bermuda

+++++=================
Hey Bermuda........ I knew it would bring out the heavies when I wrote about the Metal sticks. Great to see some one else has done this before. I would like to know your Routine with the Heavy sticks. Can you send me an e-mail and give me some sort of routine you used over the years. When in the Morning, How long with the heavies. Did you ever hurt your wrists or hands with this Routine. Glad you stopped by and I may learn how to do this from you guys. cheers mate. Curly
[email protected]

I'll answer here, as others may be interested.

While I don't have a daily practice routine, I do work with an HQ pad and 3 or 4 sizes of Power Wrist Builders, starting with the lightest for just a minute or two: rolls, flams, noodling, singles. I move to the next heaviest sticks and do the same for a minute or two, and eventually end up with the heavy brass sticks. About 30-60 seconds is all I need with those - really just kinda for fun to see how fast I can move them - and then I finish with a middle-weight stick. It's maybe 5 minutes, and may or may not be followed with a little kit playing.

So my use of the metal sticks is less about developing my playing, than building stamina and power in my hands, wrists, and fingers. But like weightlifting... you don't do it every day, and it's not about becoming muscle-bound, just getting toned.

Bermuda

I'll answer here, as others may be interested.

While I don't have a daily practice routine, I do work with an HQ pad and 3 or 4 sizes of Power Wrist Builders, starting with the lightest for just a minute or two: rolls, flams, noodling, singles. I move to the next heaviest sticks and do the same for a minute or two, and eventually end up with the heavy brass sticks. About 30-60 seconds is all I need with those - really just kinda for fun to see how fast I can move them - and then I finish with a middle-weight stick. It's maybe 5 minutes, and may or may not be followed with a little kit playing.

So my use of the metal sticks is less about developing my playing, than building stamina and power in my hands, wrists, and fingers. But like weightlifting... you don't do it every day, and it's not about becoming muscle-bound, just getting toned.

Bermuda
++++++=======================
Many thanks mate for the foot up up. I will stay with it and not do as much as I have been. Take it slow and easy. After all, it is fun. Cheers and Stay safe. Curly

Back