Show Off Your DW Kit

I'd love to know who gave you such a good price. So far, the best price I've come along is $999 shipped.

I ordered mine maybe 3 years ago? I don't think there has been that much of a price increase. My local dealer gives me 40% off. Just tell your local guy you can get 40% off your order, and that's what you want. If that isn't working, PM me. I have two dealers that give 40% off DW.

My finished ply edge snare was around 750.00
Shop around for 40% off list.

The Edge in the pictures above with the Red Onyx finishply was less than $800. Purchased new from my dealer in 2004. It wasn't sitting in the shop for months either, it was custom made by dw. I waited 8-10 weeks for it! My kit purchased in 2001 and custom made at dw took 4-weeks exactly to arrive at my door from the dealer.

Yes sir the heartwoood curly has more random woody figuring. The straight up curly is very consistent. Only downside is the heartwood is limited supplies. So I have in the back of my head I need to order another floor tom before it's too late. I don't need another floor tom, it's a monkey on my back I tells ya!

Do you happen to have any pictures of your kit setup and from different angles? Also what size bass are you using? I currently have an 18x22, but with the VLX option, I wonder how an 18x20 would sound. I'm also curious as to how a 20" bass would look on a kit as well :)

Do you happen to have any pictures of your kit setup and from different angles? Also what size bass are you using? I currently have an 18x22, but with the VLX option, I wonder how an 18x20 would sound. I'm also curious as to how a 20" bass would look on a kit as well :)
I will make a sound check vid/ tour for you. I am a fan of the 16x20. I have it in a VLT and a VLX.
VLX tunes low, and I tend to tighten the heads up to give a pointed attack. Maye the X shell would be the perfect in between. Iit's crazy how tight I have the heads and how low the 20" VLX remains. It's like the drum is eq'ed.
A 20" is punchier and clearer imo than the 22". Near field the sound comes off a bit faster to my ear, and that responsiveness makes it fun to play. If you like a "boomy" sound, just remove the muffling and it's there. I dug a 23" X I had the chance to play too. So if you want a bit more volume/loudness, that is the advantage the bigger diameter.

Attachments

• DW Hcurl0379.jpg
    DW Hcurl0379.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 2,544
  • DW htcurl380.jpg
    DW htcurl380.jpg
    386.2 KB · Views: 2,638
I will make a sound check vid/ tour for you. I am a fan of the 16x20. I have it in a VLT and a VLX.
VLX tunes low, and I tend to tighten the heads up to give a pointed attack. Maye the X shell would be the perfect in between. Iit's crazy how tight I have the heads and how low the 20" VLX remains. It's like the drum is eq'ed.
A 20" is punchier and clearer imo than the 22". Near field the sound comes off a bit faster to my ear, and that responsiveness makes it fun to play. If you like a "boomy" sound, just remove the muffling and it's there. I dug a 23" X I had the chance to play too. So if you want a bit more volume/loudness, that is the advantage the bigger diameter.

Awesome - I like the rack too. It looks like doesn't have a huge footprint either compared to using stands. You must be proud of that set!

Awesome - I like the rack too. It looks like doesn't have a huge footprint either compared to using stands. You must be proud of that set!
A set many years in developing for sure.
I find stands look better than a rack, but with all my cymbals and gadgets the rack is my only option. The snare basket attachment is really cool! No snare stand legs to get in the way.

Quick vid to showwhat the kit looks and sounds like. I have the toms and bass tuned high for jazzy applications. I should have lowered the pitch on the floor tom for the sake of this sound test, it's usually very thumpy and fat. The bass drum heads are tight too, but still the 16x20VLX produces some serious low end.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=facfSoEfR4A&feature=youtu.be

Quick vid to showwhat the kit looks and sounds like. I have the toms and bass tuned high for jazzy applications. I should have lowered the pitch on the floor tom for the sake of this sound test, it's usually very thumpy and fat. The bass drum heads are tight too, but still the 16x20VLX produces some serious low end.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=facfSoEfR4A&feature=youtu.be

Awesome! Thanks so much for making that video. They sound great! Does the rack come with clamps for toms/cymbals or did you have to purchase the clamps/L-rods?

Awesome! Thanks so much for making that video. They sound great! Does the rack come with clamps for toms/cymbals or did you have to purchase the clamps/L-rods?
Vid was dark, drums not quite tuned up but you got the vibe.
Rack only comes with 4 clamps, two booms so I had to add most of that stuff!

Here's my DW Collectors series. Just the standard setup these days - 10,12,16,22
222867_639667798885_44409481_34071913_5623612_n.jpg

This was quite a while ago, and some changes have been made to the setup to kind of push everything together and forward a bit, but this is pretty close to what it is now.

...The brass is on the move again.

This jazz kit is headed over to the house of a buddy from work where I am going to be jamming every week.

I switched the brass hardware from the classic kit. I have to find a picture of every kit this brass hardware has been on.

This is my extra/jam kit. 18x16, 12x8, 14x14, 14x6. 14" el sabor hats, 18" aax dark crash, 14" aax dark and 14"aax explosion crashes.

Really looking forward to making some noise next week.

Barry

Gold hardware on red always gets me.
These are beautiful

Here's my DW Collectors series. Just the standard setup these days - 10,12,16,22
This was quite a while ago, and some changes have been made to the setup to kind of push everything together and forward a bit, but this is pretty close to what it is now.
Is that natural to tobacco fade? More pics would be appreciated :)

Vid was dark, drums not quite tuned up but you got the vibe.
Rack only comes with 4 clamps, two booms so I had to add most of that stuff!

If you don't mind me asking, where did you purchase your drums from? I may call them to get a quote on an exotic set...just to know a ballpark figure to save for ;)

Is that natural to tobacco fade? More pics would be appreciated :)

Actually, it's an Oxblood to Natural fade. I've never seen another oxblood kit at all, let alone a fade.

Sure, here's an even older front shot of the kit. The flash makes the toms look a little more white then they actually are.

215735_639412006495_44409481_34066841_3330891_n.jpg

I really need to get new pics of this kit... I just realized I haven't taken one in around a year.

Actually, it's an Oxblood to Natural fade. I've never seen another oxblood kit at all, let alone a fade.
I really need to get new pics of this kit... I just realized I haven't taken one in around a year.
Very cool! Thanks for the post, yes pull that camera out.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you purchase your drums from? I may call them to get a quote on an exotic set...just to know a ballpark figure to save for ;)

I ordered my kit through Drum World. But usually you have to order from a dealer within 100 miles. Download a price list and take 40% off list,then you know the damage.GC won't take 40% off, best I've heard them do is 35%. Exotic kits are pricey, but it's like getting a car and going for the higher trim package.

Beware of Drum world though. You can see from my other threads on the DW kit I ordered there. The kit had issues and they totally blew me off until I had to get an attorney before they would even help me with it. And they never even looked at the kit and received it damaged, sticking out of boxes and still had me take it home.

Worst customer service of anything I've ever had. Just wanted to pass that along as I'd want to know if it happened to someone else.

I ordered my kit through Drum World. But usually you have to order from a dealer within 100 miles. Download a price list and take 40% off list,then you know the damage.GC won't take 40% off, best I've heard them do is 35%. Exotic kits are pricey, but it's like getting a car and going for the higher trim package.

Cool. I ordered my Exotic snare from a shop in PA and I'm in GA. They gave me a great deal on a new 9002 pedal as well. I will check to see what percentage off I got on the drum.

Beware of Drum world though. You can see from my other threads on the DW kit I ordered there. The kit had issues and they totally blew me off until I had to get an attorney before they would even help me with it. And they never even looked at the kit and received it damaged, sticking out of boxes and still had me take it home.

Worst customer service of anything I've ever had. Just wanted to pass that along as I'd want to know if it happened to someone else.

If they left you hanging to the point you needed a lawyer, that's rough. I have been shopping there since 1978 (no lie) and never an issue. Usually, a DW problem is dealt with DW directly, but if they legit screwed you it's good you hold them accountable and share the experience.

Back