Overhead Mics

Neil

Hi Guys,

I'm in the mood for purchasing some drums mics... I was thinking either 2 Shure SM7's as I've used those before in studios etc and always seem to produce good results or a set of these

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/produ...ardioid-condenser-instrument-microphones.html

It's a pair of Sontronics STC they're roughly the same price (give or take) but I like the mounting solution and they come in a case so no need for me to purchase one. I reckon the price would probably even out.

I'm not very clued up on Microphone specifics and am not 100% sure if utilizing them in an overhead scenario is what they're intended for. Will they be ok? I'm intending to use them so I can record my live sound for review after, but also having the option for them to run through a PA at larger venues.

Well those will work better than SM57s. I couldn't think of a microphone less suited to overhead use than an SM57 - maybe a D112. Not sure on the specifics of the model you've quoted, but they'll be better. You'll need phantom power as well.

Are you actually talking about Shure SM7's or Shure SM57"s. The Shure company manufactures both. Sm57's are about $90 USD, where SM7's are about $350 USD. Maybe a typo on the OP's end. SM7's are great microphones, I have an artist that usually only works with the SM7 microphone on her vocals.

Dennis

Back