Best Guitarist

Going ol Skool here... Gary Richrath (REO Speedwagon, during their pivotal years prior to going top 40)

Oh, and David Gilmour

Dang no Les Paul-he's a legend. Some great calls so far- Hendrix, Joe Walsh, Jeff Beck, Buddy Guy, and Stevie Ray Vaughn for sure. But I'm surprised Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page (oops it made it), Richie Blackmore, Carlos Santana haven't made the list. Personally I like Duane Allman, and Rory Buchanan-the Greatest Unknown guitarist LOL. But there are lots of jazz guitarist I'd include like Larry Carlton, etc. Rory Gallagher a good choice too-Alvin Lee Ten Years After. Mark Farner of Grand Funk, Randy California from Spirit. Man there are too many favorites.

Here's some for the metal crowd:
Chuck Schuldiner
Dave Mustaine
Kirk Hemmet and James Hetfield
Jeff Henneman and Kerry King
Scott Ian
Herman Li and Sam Totman (DragonForce)
The list could go on and on. I don't think Scott Ian is a guitar god by any means, but the dude writes some really cool riffs. Definitely deserving of being included on a list of favorites.

Maybe this question should be genre and sub-genre specific.

As interesting as that sounds, we really don't need 15 threads of "favorite" (put genre here) guitarist. Just mention the genre in the post. Thank you for understanding. 8+)

Good call Gruntersdad-I guess it was ill-conceived. Best laid plans of Mice and Men.

Dang no Les Paul-he's a legend. Some great calls so far- Hendrix, Joe Walsh, Jeff Beck, Buddy Guy, and Stevie Ray Vaughn for sure. But I'm surprised Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page (oops it made it), Richie Blackmore, Carlos Santana haven't made the list. Personally I like Duane Allman, and Rory Buchanan-the Greatest Unknown guitarist LOL. But there are lots of jazz guitarist I'd include like Larry Carlton, etc. Rory Gallagher a good choice too-Alvin Lee Ten Years After. Mark Farner of Grand Funk, Randy California from Spirit. Man there are too many favorites.

Never was a huge fan of clapton or beck, but how did I forgot about page and Santana. I'm surprised no one said Santana up until now

Santana did a South American show once, but he didn't bring his band out so he hired all local musicians. As to be expected, the percussion and drums are so crazy and good, I think it's walfredo Reyes on the kit. I listen to a lot of tejano bands around where I live, and I've been to some pretty cool concerts like that... but no one can play percussion like Brazilians

Sacred fire live in South America Santana album, no one to depend on is an especially good song on there, check it out if you haven't you won't be disappointed

Huge Danny Gatton fanboy here.

Rory Buchanan-the Greatest Unknown guitarist LOL.

All due respect you Artfulness...it's Roy Buchanan, and the greatest unknown guitarist...I'm pretty sure Roy Buchanan and Danny Gatton both shared that title, Roy got it first I think. Danny got it later. They knew each other too, and there was a tiny bit of a rivalry there. I think Danny was influenced by Roy to go from a Les Paul to a Tele, thankfully.

Mark Knopfler
Joe Bonamassa
Django Reinhardt
Chet Atkins
Clapton
Lindsey Buckingham
SRV

Too many...

Al Di Meola-great choice forgot about him-use to be a huge fan.
"Rory" Buchanan-ROFL-thanks Larry-My Bad. Must have had a brain fArt.

Back